AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Jealous Sound, The - Got Friends Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 8
Production 7.5
Creativity 7.25
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 84%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.13
Musicianship 8.13
Lyrics 9.5
Production 7.63
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 8.38
Reviewer Tilt 8.88
Average: 84%
Inside AP.net

Jealous Sound, The - Got Friends

Reviewed by: Rich Duncan (10/16/08)
The Jealous Sound - Got Friends
Record Label: The Militia Group
Release Date: October 14, 2008

Got Friends is The Jealous Sound's first release on The Militia Group after signing with the label in 2005 and the first new material since the band’s 2003 full-length debut, Kill Them With Kindness. In the five year period fans eagerly waited for new Jealous Sound material they have had to deal with numerous supposed release dates coming and passing before being granted a sneak peek at the EP after the band posted the track “Got Friends” for a day on a hidden Virb page.

At only three tracks long (with two remixes of “Got Friends”), Got Friends is a little short, but it is a snapshot of the direction the band was heading in while writing for their sophomore full-length effort. “Got Friends”, easily the best song on the EP, indicates that in the downtime between records, The Jealous Sound further honed their skills at writing infectious pop songs with a little more substance than some of their peers. Very rarely does a song impress me to the point where I feel the need to listen to it again almost as soon as the last note plays, but that is exactly what happened with “Got Friends”. The warm melodies and superbly crafted chorus make this easily one of the best songs of the year, and maybe the best in The Jealous Sound’s catalog. “Turning Around” and “Broad Shoulders” are not as immediately gripping as “Got Friends”, but after repeated listens they command almost the same amount of plays. While the songs on Got Friends still have some edge to them, the songs are a little more pop leaning than some of their earlier songs.

While the three tracks on the EP showcase the members tightness as a unit and have choruses that just beg the listener to sing along, what really drives the band and sets them apart is Shehan’s unique vocal delivery. Shehan’s vocals have really improved since his days fronting Knapsack, but there is still a slight hint of his signature rasp in his voice that adds something special to the songs. The two remixes on the album are both of “Got Friends” and are only recommended for die hard fans who want to own everything by The Jealous Sound as they really do not improve on “Got Friends” in anyway and are only good for a listen or two before the novelty wears off.

The five year gap between releases undoubtedly caused fans of the band to create lofty expectations that would be borderline unreachable for any band to achieve, but Got Friends is a worthy purchase for even the most casual fan. The band’s future is shrouded in uncertainty with rumors ranging from the band has broken up and that Blair has decided to leave music to a recent L.A. Times article stating that the band has promised a full-length. Hopefully The Jealous Sound are still together and planning to release a full-length because Got Friends proves that The Jealous Sound are working on something great.

RIYLa more polished Knapsack, Solea, and Jimmy Eat World

ListenMyspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 15
10:17 PM on 10/16/08
Heart-A-Tact
User Info.
I love these guys, and I hope that they decide to stick around.
10:50 PM on 10/16/08
TheBaroness
User Info.
great review

band is such a fucking tease. I wish they'd just announce their breakup already and stop getting my hopes up.
05:33 AM on 10/17/08
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Well done, Rich. For what it's worth, I strongly doubt they are ever going to finish their LP. I believe this was the start of that effort before Blair decided to call it quits, and this is TMG just cutting its losses.
07:31 AM on 10/17/08
Rich Duncan
Album Reviewer
User Info.
Thanks for the comments!

Well done, Rich. For what it's worth, I strongly doubt they are ever going to finish their LP. I believe this was the start of that effort before Blair decided to call it quits, and this is TMG just cutting its losses.

I agree. I just figured I would mention that rumor because someone linked the L.A. Times article in general I believe, and I figured I would cover my bases.
08:05 AM on 10/17/08
JonathanDTEA
User Info.
awesome review on and awesome EP. Rich, you're from liverpool? I'm from batavia
08:17 AM on 10/17/08
Rich Duncan
Album Reviewer
User Info.
awesome review on and awesome EP. Rich, you're from liverpool? I'm from batavia

Yeah I moved there after my senior year of high school. I haven't been home much though because of school so I have no idea where anything is. Is it really close to Liverpool?
08:25 AM on 10/17/08
JonathanDTEA
User Info.
Not really close, but about two hours away. It's right between buffalo and rochester
11:14 AM on 10/17/08
rickfight
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I agree that the first track is amazing, but the other two songs just didn't do it for me. Especially Everything's Turning Around. I really didn't like that track. I thought Broad Shoulders was okay.
11:18 AM on 10/17/08
All Is Fa11ing
User Info.
got friends is such a huge tease, i just wish they would finish the album and then decide to call it quits instead of leaving us with indefinite doubt as to their current status
12:05 PM on 10/17/08
myplasticyou
the future is x-rated
User Info.
nice Knapsack comparison. i love that band
12:06 PM on 10/17/08
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
Seriously, this is only 3 songs long?
01:28 PM on 10/17/08
con40dmitri
User Info.
i remember catching their show on accident cause they were playing with piebald. They changed my life thereafter...
06:21 AM on 10/19/08
EchoPark
promesas son sombras
User Info.
Nice review Rich. This EP is fantastic

I eagerly await the full-length.
03:21 PM on 10/22/08
tm decomposer
KEMBA WALKER 4 PREZ!!
User Info.
I wish there were more songs.
Options