AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
A Loss for Words - Webster Lake Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 7
Production 8.25
Creativity 6.75
Lasting Value 7.75
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 76%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.58
Musicianship 9.33
Lyrics 9.67
Production 8.92
Creativity 9.17
Lasting Value 9.25
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Average: 93%
Inside AP.net

A Loss for Words - Webster Lake

Reviewed by: tm decomposer (10/20/08)
A Loss for Words - Webster Lake
Record Label: None
Release Date: June 11, 2008

"How did we get so damn far by ignoring everything? You we're the sand beneath my feet, eroded by the tide. It's too hard to believe." - Wrightsville Beach

Here in my town, we have this local bowling alley. It's not great. It's actually really gross and is run under terrible management. The crowds are usually ska kids, who smoke weed and get with the same friends. Thank god I didn't take that approach to life. Occasionally, we get a couple decent bands playing. Running from Valencia and Just Surrender to The Wonder Years and Living With Lions. Every year, a band from Boston, MA comes down and jams. They are A Loss For Words.

They've released different albums in the past years that haven't really blown me away. But, in 2008, A Loss For Words releases the acoustic EP, Webster Lake. This release throws the band in a different direction, ultimately separating them from similar sounding bands. The music opens up with "All Roads Lead Home." From the first raspy notes delivered by vocalist Matty Arsenault to the melodic acoustic riffs, this immediately attracts the listeners. Jumping to "Wrightsville Beach," this piece highlights again the vocals from Arsenault, but not only does this song showcase that, it illustrates such a chill sound (think of a beach/fire song). The sound is that of a summer anthem song, a song to get you pumped up. Nearing the completion, guitarist Nevada Smith and Marc Dangora toy with electric guitars, where those electric sounds become more relative on "It's Good To Be Back In Easterd Standard." During this song, comparisons between I Am The Avalanche/Saves The Day really come out. With different lyrical passages that are determined to get stuck in your head, including when the late 90's rock sound returns to the song, A Loss For Words seem to know what they are doing.

So, what do A Loss For Words bring you? A damn good acoustic jam. Granted, this EP doesn’t have much difference in how the songs sound, but any true fan of "pop-punk" will appreciate this, as I have. So, while they are touring the world with This Is Hell, I Am The Avalanche, and Four Year Strong, I suggest getting on the bandwagon now. This band will not be the east coast's secret anymore.

Recommended if You LikeI Am the Avalanche; Saves the Day; Boston rock; The Wonder Years

myspace.com/alossforwords

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 26.
05:11 AM on 11/03/08
warfare
User Info.
A Loss For Words <3
10:55 PM on 11/03/08
lostfear
Jakesonaplane
User Info.
glorious.
11:02 PM on 11/03/08
Heart-A-Tact
User Info.
I love these guys. Good review.
01:58 AM on 11/04/08
xconcretenwater
dude
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
meh, i was really looking forward to the (full band) full length they were recording- what ever happened to that?
04:16 AM on 11/04/08
Chris Immunity
Immunity Clothing
User Info.
this ep is amazing.

good review dude
04:19 AM on 11/04/08
futurebreed
Photographer
User Info.
I love this EP and support these guys in whatever they do

xconcretenwater: They recorded it, and it will be out in the future.
04:53 AM on 11/04/08
xBITCHxPLEASEx
4PP. REPRESENT!
User Info.
Awesome band, I saw them a couple of times before they got big. Great great guys. The lead singer likes to lose it a bit though on stage. Not a bad thing, exactly. But still....lol.
06:44 AM on 11/04/08
thisischaos
it's all talk
User Info.
Awesome fucking review.

I just recently started listening to them because of a friend's constant nagging and honestly, I'm glad I did - really great band.
07:10 AM on 11/04/08
simplelivin_GCH
drowning in the midwest
User Info.
these dude are siiiiick
07:14 AM on 11/04/08
applesandcyanid
Trollin' Absolutepunk.
User Info.
"This band will not be the east coast's secret anymore".. sounds about right.
07:26 AM on 11/04/08
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Nice review, great band. Can't wait for a full length.
07:37 AM on 11/04/08
tuck0789
Call It Fiction
User Info.
my boys
07:54 AM on 11/04/08
elemenohpe
Two pumps and a swirl.
User Info.
love these guys. they're one of the nicest group of dudes i've had the pleasure of hanging out with.

i'm very happy to see all the positive reviews they've been getting lately.

even if you miss them on tour w/ FYS, This Is Hell, and IAtA check their myspace... they're touring for at least two months after that one ends with some other really, REALLY awesome pop-punk bands.
08:12 AM on 11/04/08
sajidy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I should check this out. I saw them a week ago and was so impressed by how nice and sincere the singer was onstage (Even though the crowd wasn't too into them since they were the opening band) But then they closed with a cover of NFG Better off Dead and everyone went INSANE!
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests