Password

Album Review

Daniel Ahearn - Pray for Me By Name Album Cover

Daniel Ahearn - Pray for Me By Name

Reviewed by
Daniel Ahearn - Pray for Me By Name
Record Label: Riparian Records
Release Date: May 18, 2008
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Solo artists exist in an abundance. They exist in such large quantities that when I hear of a new solo artist with a buzz, I immediately like to hear something from them. Most of the solo artists, I feel, that have made it to the forefront, must be great to be able to stand out above the pack.

Daniel Ahearn has a quiet voice and feels natural -- never forced. His compositions are made of more than vocals and guitar, and he has a knack for harmonies. That being said, I can see Ahearn's career either moving forward or becoming stagnant.

"Down for the Count" implements quick strings, steady guitar and keyboards, and feels like a breeze through the window going 45 m.p.h. down the highway. In the end, although it's a steady start, it's the same as much of what one has heard before.

"Nowadays" is more of the same start, but with a more rocking chord beat. "Jesus Saves" is the standout track. The chord picking is a quiet stroll, not out-doing the great lyrics of the song. The back tapping also adds a dynamic to the song, as to not feel two dimensional.

"San Vicente" lets the lyrics carry the song along with female harmonics, making it a great successor to "Jesus Saves." The closing, "Whitewashing," makes the EP finish off steps above its beginning. The steady pulse and slide guitar accompanied by harmonies and vocal punctuation give the track elegance, and excitement for the songwriter's future.

Ahearm's debut starts off with much of what is expected these days, but it really blossoms into something wonderful at the same time. This EP is a good start to a possible future, with hope that the dynamics progress and don't become common ground.

Recommended if You LikeThe New Amsterdams' Story Like a Scar; The New Frontiers' Mending; City and Colour's Sometimes

myspace.com/danielahearn

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version