AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Mae - 03.29.05

Interviewed by
Mae - 03.29.05First off, what is your name and what do you do in the band?

Hi. It’s Rob, Jacob and Zach. We play keyboards, drums and guitar respectively.

How did you guys all meet and then end up becoming Mae?

Dave and Jacob were working on music in college. Mark knew Dave from an earlier band project and offered him some studio time. The first song we worked on was Embers and Envelopes and we were looking for someone to play keys, which brought Rob into the mix. We met up with Zach about a year and a half later on the road and stole him from his native Florida.

What is the meaning behind the name Mae?

Multisensory Aesthetic Experience.

You guys just finished recording and are about to release your new album “The Everglow”. How was that experience?

We’ve self produced our previous records so this was our first time in a real studio and our first time working with a producer. So there was definitely an adjustment period we had to go through having someone else give input on our songs. Working with Ken Andrews made that experience something we’ll never forget and we couldn’t be more excited about the result.

Ken Andrews produced this album, what was it like working with someone that has been in a number of amazing bands and produced some amazing records.

Ken is someone we’ve all grown up admiring so to have him want to work with us was truly an honor. We had a very specific vision for this record and we knew that Ken could help us achieve the sound we wanted. We also knew artistically he’d be committed to the details that made this record special.

The sound of the new album was a lot different then the way the last one was. Did you set out to make it different from what people were expecting.

I don’t think we set out to intentionally make it different from people’s expectations. I do think we did set out to show the growth of the band and constantly challenge ourselves to take things to the next level.

What is the whole meaning behind the name “The Everglow” and is there any meaning behind the drawing and everything for the cover of the album?

The Everglow is our name for that passion inside of a person to break out of any situation that is any less than what he would want that equals the determination and dedication and heart to see it to it’s end. It’s a place of fulfillment and peace of mind. The Everglow is also the moment of self actualization.

How are you feelings on album leaking in general, and then your thoughts on “The Everglow leaking so close to its release?

I think with the way things are in music business today albums leak. It’s the reality of things that it’s going to happen. The thing about it that’s frustrating for not only us but all bands is when unfinished versions of your music are ‘leaked.’ When you’re creating music as with any other form of art it’s a very personal process that you isn’t ready to be public viewed until it’s completed.

Are there any up and coming bands that you guys have been listening to that you think we should all be listening to?

Days Away
The Snake, The Cross, The Crown

I am guessing you have a tour set to promote the new album, but are there and really big plans the band has to support this album or any big plans in general for the new year?

We’re going out with The Starting Line, doing a short headline run with Academy Is…, JamisonParker, and Days Away, going to the UK for a week, then Warped Tour… more to come after that.

What are some things you guys do for fun when you aren’t touring or recording?

That is what we do for fun. We don’t have a lot on down time. We like to work.

Any crazy things ever happened to you on the road? And crazy parties?

We’re having a party right now answering these questions. Other than that, with our travel schedule there isn’t a lot for crazy things to happen.

What got you guys into music when you were starting out?

Music is a part of us like language is a part of us, it’s not something we discovered one day, it’s always been there. It’s some thing we can’t not do.

Anything else you would like to say to the readers out there in AP land?

Rob just discovered Flip Flop socks and we’re not sure how the rest of us feel about it.

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10
09:20 AM on 03/30/05
SLADE775
Still the greatest
User Info.
They kick so much ass!!!!!

MAE FOREVER!!!!!
09:42 AM on 03/30/05
jeremyfromva
Going back to my corner to write.
User Info.
Originally Posted by SLADE775

MAE FOREVER!!!!!

MAE=SeX
10:11 AM on 03/30/05
Zinja
User Info.
Team GAD represent!

no just kidding this time, I like the Mae album, good interview.
11:51 AM on 03/30/05
btbam > you
IT'S TIME!
User Info.
Originally Posted by SLADE775

MAE FOREVER!!!!!

good interview.

slade + btbam forever!!!!!
04:11 PM on 03/30/05
MATT2KOOL
http://facebook.com/carouselmusic
User Info.
Mae fuckin rules.

"The Everglow" fuckin rules. Go buy it.

I'm going to see them on Saturday, I can't wait.
05:01 PM on 03/30/05
littlebeav
I'm Not a Doctor
User Info.
Originally Posted by Brandon Herbel
Anything else you would like to say to the readers out there in AP land?

Rob just discovered Flip Flop socks and we’re not sure how the rest of us feel about it.

hell yeah. i love Mae. end of story.
07:15 PM on 03/30/05
tbag311
R.I.P Blink-182
User Info.
Originally Posted by jeremyfromva
MAE=SeX

glad to see that you're out of the negatives dude! remember...sharing is caring ;)

and btw, i'm loving the everglow to death....it was worth holding out on for sure!
09:26 PM on 03/30/05
EveryNewDay
Then Is The New Now
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
great interview with a great band. thanks!
04:30 AM on 04/04/05
PeeDster
@alextranslantic
User Info.
Mae rules... awesome name, didnt know it stemmed from that.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos