AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.
Inside AP.net

Norma Jean - 04.01.05

Interviewed by: Brandon Herbel (04/05/05)
*This Interview was done by drummer Daniel of Norma Jean*

So, how did you all meet each other and end up forming Norma Jean?

We had all gone to the same high school and had been friends forever. Our current bass player has only been in the band for about 2 years now and our new singer Cory for about 1 year.

I always wondered, is there any significance to the name Norma Jean or did you guys just like the sound of it?

We wanted a name that had meaning but really didn’t like anything that we had thrown out and the name Norma jean kept coming up and getting suggested and then josh later found out that Norma means pattern and that Jean means grace and mercy, So together it means patterns of grace and mercy.

So, “O God The Aftermath” was recently released on Solid State. Since there was a new signer did you guys find anything different when it came to the writing process.

Parts of it were the same, but the new one was that we had a house together when we recorded the last one. It allowed us to practice and write everyday and then with this one it made it a little harder. Cory would fly down every two weeks and then stay for two weeks and just play and write as much as we could.

Where did you guys come up with the name of the album?

Our friend from home had always wanted to name his band “O God The Aftermath”, so we asked him if it was cool that we used it for the title of our new album and was totally cool with it.

The titles of the songs on the new album definitely have an interesting approach. What is the reasoning behind it?

Well, I think everyone has a different look to the meaning of the album title, and I personally like to look at “Aftermath” as something beautiful

The album sounds amazing, who produced it?

We worked with out friend Matt Bayles. He has done other albums like Botch, Mastodon, and he’s actually in the band Minus The Bear.

I also love what asterik did for the art on the cover. Did they just come up with the ideas or did you guys have some concepts that you wanted them to try.

The swimmer that we used for the website I had created a long time ago and finally got to use it. We all had an idea of how we wanted the artwork to look and then just collaborated with the guys over at asterik to come up with something we loved. It was cool because we got them to do 11 different images and there are 11 tracks, so every image fits with the songs.

What was the bands reaction when Josh had left the band?

It was a surprise but no one really had a problem with. The rest of us in the band knew that no matter what, that this was what we are supposed to be doing with our lives. It all turned out great in the end and we wouldn’t want it any other way.

Now that the record has been released, are there any big plans for the band in the near future.

We have a Europe, Japan, and Australia tour coming up and then this summer we are going to be a part of the Sounds Of Underground tour and then around fall have our headlining tour.
Now, I know a lot of people in bands don’t get into music or the band thing tell high school but did any of you guys grow up in a musical family or atmosphere.

What were some of your music influeces and how involved in music were you growing up?

I of course grew up listening to music, but didn’t really get into playing it until I was about 12 when I started to listen to bands like nirvana, soundgarden, helmet, and the deftones and that really made me want to start playing. Around 8th grade, Scott and I learned how to play our instruments together.

What are your thoughts on album leaking and piracy?

It sucks, but its something that happens and is really hard to stop. Ours leaked only 2 weeks before, so we were able to keep it from getting out for some time. I am not a fan, because when a band spends so much time on something then having it leaked out for people to hear before its finished sucks.

Who are some of your favorite bands?

Radiohead, 16 house power, woven hand, and blonde redhead.

Have any last words to all the readers out in absolutepunk.net land?

We just want to tell everyone thank you for sticking with us and giving us all the support that you all have over the years.

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9.
09:53 AM on 04/05/05
punklet2101
only you exist
User Info.
"Patterns of grace and mercy". Nice
10:47 AM on 04/05/05
derricklc22
Gentelman in Training
User Info.
Originally Posted by punklet2101
"Patterns of grace and mercy". Nice
Their band name just became on of the coolest now that I know the meaning behind it.
10:49 AM on 04/05/05
btbam > you
IT'S TIME!
User Info.
o god the aftermath is one of the best hardcore cd's i've heard in a long time. i love it :love:
11:09 AM on 04/05/05
xearlynovemberx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
never really listened to them.....but i hear good things
11:50 AM on 04/05/05
weworemasks
save the drama for wilmer valderama
User Info.
Originally Posted by btbam > you
o god the aftermath is one of the best hardcore cd's i've heard in a long time. i love it :love:

definately one of the best in a long time
12:14 PM on 04/05/05
reav
honestly, it was nothing.
User Info.
Originally Posted by themostdeplete
definately one of the best in a long time
seriously, norma jean is one of my fav bands, but bring me the horizon just ripped them a new ... yeah.
01:17 PM on 04/05/05
EveryNewDay
Then Is The New Now
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
nice interview... their new CD is really good and their live show is just insane. i'm looking forward to seeing the headlining tour.
06:04 PM on 04/05/05
FalloutGuy
The Full Effect
User Info.
Oh man I can't wait until they come back. I love Norma Jean. O God The Aftermath gets a full spin in my car everyday.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests