Password

Album Review

Right Away, Great Captain! - The Eventually Home Album Cover

Right Away, Great Captain! - The Eventually Home

Reviewed by
Right Away, Great Captain! - The Eventually Home
Record Label: Favorite Gentlemen Recordings
Release Date: November 11, 2008
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
It seems hard these days to tell who is being truthful in their lyrics, and who is stretching the truth to be ironically poetic. The late Elliott Smith is one of the last greats I can think of, and Kevin Devine has consistently gotten better over his continuous career. There is Dallas Green and Conor Oberst, but that's all that comes to mind as a small number of great storytellers.

While Andy Hull has more to worry about with his main project Manchester Orchestra, his life seems better reflected, and more poetic, with his side project Right Away, Great Captain!.

The first record, a "less than children's story," is a bundle of songs describing a voyage by Hull's character, the Captain (duh), out at sea. Rationally, that sea can be seen as Hull's consistent touring life since dropping out of high school to pursue music full time.

The Eventually Home is the return. Written between the time of what Hull describes as "300 days" of touring and before his new marriage, The Eventually Home is dark. Long story short, it is the thoughts that teeter back and forth from the Captain and his Wife. The Captain's intention is to come home, bitter from his voyage, to end his wife's life.

Again, like the last record, Hull switches things up musically. There are harmonic vocal choruses ("Devil Dressed in Blue"), folk rockers ("What a Pity"/"Oh No, I Tried"), and a full band roll tide ("I am a Vampire") before the album's close.

"Once Like You" also contains "the hardest lyrics" Hull has had to write. It is haunting, and sends a chill down the listeners throat when the Captain repeats "yeah" several times after proclaiming those said lyrics.

The album is a step up, and a bit shorter than its predecessor. Hull has stepped out behind an opaque glass to something a bit more transparent. "Cutting Off the Blood to Ten" and "Father Brian Finn" are somewhat forgettable, but the heart of the album isn't lost in them.

The Eventually Home is very dark in tone, and at times, uncomfortable in word. With that being said, it is an honest documentation made by an artist that seems to be few and far between these days, and one that is possibly coming into his own.

Recommended if You LikeCity and Colour's Bring Me Your Love; Kevin Devine's Put Your Ghost to Rest; Elliott Smith's From a Basement on the Hill

myspace.com/rightawaygreatcaptain

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17
11:57 AM on 11/20/08
Petzl
LETS GET A (MARIO) PARTY STARTED!
User Info.
Very nice review and well written, I only disagree with what you said about "Cutting Off the Blood to Ten" as somewhat forgettable. That's probably one of my favorites on the album, but I don't disagree just because I like it haha. You focused mainly on lyrics in your review, and I think "Cutting Off the Blood to Ten", although a short song, has some of the most intense lyrics on the album.

"Well I never thought that she would slip inside, your brother's unfaithful wife, while the children were down the stairs, I saw what you were doing and I wish that I had burnt that god damn door, finding both of you on the floor, realizing your bride's a whore..."

The imagery is just fantastic, and the recording of the song itself is very raw. When his voice picks up in the chorus, it sounds like Andy recorded the song in a log cabin and you're right there with him. Just my personal opinion. I love the album, the concept behind these albums, and your review was great. Thanks!
12:44 PM on 11/20/08
newfoundmichael
@SirDaveyBoy
User Info.
I've never once listened to this, but considering the RIYL section I think I most definitely should. Good review!
01:25 PM on 11/20/08
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
This sounds like a brilliant CD. I enjoyed the review - what are 'the hardest lyrics'?
03:26 PM on 11/20/08
RetardedInLove
He Will Learn To Love Again
User Info.
This album is so good, especially if you listen to The Bitter End and this back to back. I would have to say What A Pity is my favorite track, even if it is a bit short. Andy Hull is a song-writing machine that is for sure.
04:09 PM on 11/20/08
SouthernCross40
Rides a comet's flame
User Info.
Very nice review and well written, I only disagree with what you said about "Cutting Off the Blood to Ten" as somewhat forgettable. That's probably one of my favorites on the album, but I don't disagree just because I like it haha. You focused mainly in your review, and I think "Cutting Off the Blood to Ten", although a short song, has some of the most intense lyrics on the album.

"Well I never thought that she would slip inside, your brother's unfaithful wife, while the children were down the stairs, I saw what you were doing and I wish that I had burnt that god damn door, finding both of you on the floor, realizing your bride's a whore..."

The imagery is just fantastic, and the recording of the song itself is very raw. When his voice picks up in the chorus, it sounds like Andy recorded the song in a log cabin and you're right there with him. Just my personal opinion. I love the album, the concept behind these albums, and your review was great. Thanks!

Seconded, definitely one of my favorites on the album. Great album, great review.
02:48 AM on 11/22/08
Tim Lincecum
Scotch and water. Hold the Scotch
User Info.
cutting of the blood to ten is my favorite, i think you under appreciate the lyrics
04:24 PM on 12/17/08
maniac R.O.D.
www.myspace.com/skyscrapersnj
User Info.
Very nice review and well written, I only disagree with what you said about "Cutting Off the Blood to Ten" as somewhat forgettable. That's probably one of my favorites on the album, but I don't disagree just because I like it haha. You focused mainly on lyrics in your review, and I think "Cutting Off the Blood to Ten", although a short song, has some of the most intense lyrics on the album.

I completely agree.
Also, Andy's character isn't the captain, he is a sailor. He salutes his captain in many of the songs on the last album. Besides all that, i thought this was a good review, I love this album
02:07 PM on 01/07/09
Radb707
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
He is the Captain.

The sailor became the new Captain after the Captain died at the end of the first album.

I think this album was better musically than the last one. It just hit me much much more than just him and guitar on the previous album.
02:30 PM on 02/02/09
therobbert
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This guy has a good voice when he isn't ripping off Conor Oberst

seriously this album is basically bright eyes songs
10:16 PM on 02/09/09
bears clap loud
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
ummmm this guy isn't the captain. his captain died at the end of the Bitter End
02:18 PM on 02/16/09
Radb707
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
That's the point. His captain died, so he became the new captain.
06:43 PM on 02/16/09
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
ummmm this guy isn't the captain. his captain died at the end of the Bitter End
the end of "Captain I'm Fine and Thanks For Everything":

and in the winters
i need you around
i still feel sorrow
and i still write it down
and my children there's just fine
they'd of loved you, you know
there fathers a captain
with a beard just like you

and i won't, let you down
no i won't, let you down

that would make the listener and me think he is now the Captain in The Eventually Home...but I guess lyrics are questioned...
06:27 PM on 07/07/09
fuelforthefire
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This guy has a good voice when he isn't ripping off Conor Oberst

seriously this album is basically bright eyes songs
how can you say these songs are rip offs of conor oberst, the two are very much different in their songwriting
10:14 PM on 08/14/09
yayitsjoe
An American Workplace.
User Info.
i like the Bitter End more.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT