Password

Album Review

Anberlin - New Surrender Album Cover

Anberlin - New Surrender

Reviewed by
Anberlin - New Surrender
Record Label: Universal Republic
Release Date: September 30, 2008
I am here to speak for everyone who loved Cities, the album in which, I believe, Anberlin found their sound. The driving arena-emo that had choruses that touched the clouds and guitars that felt like they were breaking down brick walls. The first two Anberlin albums (Blueprints for the Black Market and Never Take Friendship Personal), were back and forth musical battles between pop/punk hits, like “A Day Late” that sounded like they belonged on top 40 radio, and driving, passionate guitar rock that ultimately became their signature sound. But with Cities, finally the dust settled and what emerged was one of my favorite albums of the genre. Then I found out that shortly after the release of that album, Anberlin had taken the step from indie powerhouse, Tooth and Nail, to the big leagues of Universal Republic. This, in my opinion, played a significant role in the making of their new album, New Surrender, the album that is their most ambitious effort to date.

The album (almost) begins right where it left off on Cities with “The Resistance.” The gang vocals in the chorus allow it to reach about as far as Never Take Friendship Personal. The album continues on with a couple of mediocre Anberlin tracks that would easily find a place on that same record.

The album then takes a turn for the worse with “Retrace”. This song easily sounds like it could be on a soft rock/adult contemporary radio station in 10 years. It is one of the softest, most radio-friendly tracks Anberlin has ever written. The bridge almost brings it back to normal Anberlin status, but this seems like a battle the major label won. Next comes the first single (and re-recorded version of) “Feel Good Drag.” The biggest difference between this and the original is the production. The guitars take over this take to make it sound larger than life. But it does not over-shadow what follows with “Disappear.” This song sounds like you just got in a time machine and to took you back to Cities, and as a result it is my favorite song on the record. But once you have come back to reality, you realize why you are in love with the past.

The second half of the record starts out solid. The song “Burn Out Brighter (Northern Lights)” is a good old fashioned Anberlin pop song. On this record, ‘Anberlin pop’ can be hit or miss. This one song, though, is a bull’s eye. But after that track, the album lacks what we all love from Anberlin, driving, alternative rock. Instead it is replaced by feel good, top 40 pop/rock (“Younglife”, “Haight Street”) or sluggish, boring anthems (“Soft Skeletons”). The last song, “Miserabile Visu (Ex Malo Bonum)," tries to be an epic closer, but like most of New Surrender, it falls flat on its face.

I was expecting so much more out of this record. I am not going to call Anberlin “sellouts”, because I feel like they still know how to write incredible songs (“The Resistance”, “Disappear”). Unfortunately, despite 'The Resistance' Anberlin might have put up, it seems like the Universal Republic won this war.

Recommended if You LikeAnberlin's Never Take Friendship Personal; Cartel's Cartel; Acceptance's Black Lines to Battlefields

myspace.com/anberlin
This review is a user submitted review from xsinkshipsx. You can see all of xsinkshipsx's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 56
02:04 PM on 11/23/08
topher465
every shining time you arrive
User Info.
Biggest disappointment of 2008
02:14 PM on 11/23/08
PunkDrums182
I won't always live.. Not stopping.
User Info.
Huge let down. I personally think Never Take Friendship Personal is their best album.
02:33 PM on 11/23/08
aealeman
User Info.
This wasn't a very well written review, but I do agree this album was disappointing.
02:34 PM on 11/23/08
megan0507
User Info.
At first I didn't like the album at all because it just did not seem like Anberlin but now dare I say it...its my favorite Anberlin album
02:45 PM on 11/23/08
tommy's ghost
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
egh, it was pretty decent. nothing special.
02:49 PM on 11/23/08
evan324
just put some vinegar on it dummy
User Info.
new surrender is a spectacular album.. they've matured their sound a lot from blueprints for the blackmarket. i've been an anberlin fan since blueprints came out in 2003 and I have yet to be let down by any of their music, new surrender has some stand out songs like all other cd's but the whole cd as a whole is a great piece of work.
02:50 PM on 11/23/08
Ryzenfall
makin' good time
User Info.
Seeing them play this album live made it a lot better for me. I still love this band, but it's nothing like Cities.
02:52 PM on 11/23/08
derian2219
Whose baby is that?
User Info.
soft skeletons being one of the worst songs. Give me a break.
03:08 PM on 11/23/08
GuitarR0cker1
things mean a lot at the time
User Info.
I enjoy New Surrender but it is nothing spectacular. It is just a nice pop rock album but compared to Cities or NFTP it is pretty bad.
03:12 PM on 11/23/08
batmannj
"No more half measures Walt"
User Info.
the thing is you have to take some time and listen to this record a few times through. you cannot expect cities part 2 because that is not what anberlin does. every album takes some time to get into and they are all different. was cities their defining record? for sure, but that doesnt mean that all their material has to sound just like it.

and see them live. they do not dissappoint.
03:14 PM on 11/23/08
Bi11 Lumburgh
User Info.
I don't care what anyone says, Misearbile Visu is a fucking sweet song, as are most other songs on this album
03:19 PM on 11/23/08
batmannj
"No more half measures Walt"
User Info.
I don't care what anyone says, Misearbile Visu is a fucking sweet song, as are most other songs on this album

this.
03:22 PM on 11/23/08
evan324
just put some vinegar on it dummy
User Info.
does anyone even listen to blueprints cause everyone compares cities and NTFP.. gotta give blueprints some love, cause that cd is by far the best in my opinion.. maybe cause i have so many memories tied to the songs in it.
03:25 PM on 11/23/08
derian2219
Whose baby is that?
User Info.
does anyone even listen to blueprints cause everyone compares cities and NTFP.. gotta give blueprints some love, cause that cd is by far the best in my opinion.. maybe cause i have so many memories tied to the songs in it.

YES. Naive Orleans is probably one of my favorite songs till this very date.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos