AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Funeral for a Friend - Hours Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 9
Production 9
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 10
Reviewer Tilt 10
Final Verdict: 89%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.42
Musicianship 9.58
Lyrics 9.42
Production 9.25
Creativity 9.33
Lasting Value 9.42
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Average: 94%
Inside AP.net

Funeral for a Friend - Hours

Reviewed by: donwagenblast (11/12/08)
Funeral for a Friend - Hours
Record Label: Ferret / Atlantic Records
Release Date: June 14, 2005

People are going to hate me for this, but Funeral for a Friend are better off not screaming. The work they've done on Hours is too good to be true.

Sure, Casually Dressed & Deep in Conversation and 7 Ways to Scream Your Name were great releases, but the pop sensibility and catchy hooks on Hours blow all of that out of the water. Try not to sing along to the anthemic opener "All The Rage." I dare you. The album progresses into the should-have-been monster single "Streetcar" which still takes a listener's breath away thanks to the creepy spoken interlude and guitar added from out of nowhere.

And we're not even into the second half of the album. The slower, stripped-down "History" is chilling, tear-jerking, and above all a beautiful creation by a band who usually don't tend to slow things down. It is in "History" that we see the potential this band has, and the songwriting skills we all wish we had.

For some fans, the interlude in "Streetcar" says it all: "I can't feel this way about you anymore." But for fans of music in general, Funeral for a Friend will continue to be one of the best bands out there, and one of, in this author's opinion, the most under-appreciated bands out there today.

Recommended if You LikeTaking Back Sunday's Louder Now; Brand New's Deja Entendu

myspace.com/funeralforafriend

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 30.
07:35 AM on 11/23/08
mushroom
I Knew Alfred J Prufrock
User Info.
This is a really good review and i think its more than fair to say that FFAF are better off not screaming.
01:58 PM on 11/23/08
EvilZeppelin
FUZZZZZZ
User Info.
This is a really good review and i think its more than fair to say that FFAF are better off not screaming.
I agree.
02:09 PM on 11/23/08
hipvee43
User Info.
its funny i was just listening to this record, living in england all my life then moving to america a few months ago, im trying to get people here into these guys, enter, yma6, funny how huge a band can be in the uk and how small they can be in the us.
04:19 PM on 11/23/08
Jarbear
User Info.
Yeah. FFAF is one of my favorite bands and they haven't disappointed me with any release. One of my favorite songs in all of music is Roses For The Dead. That song is great, the lyrics tug at your heart and the ending builds up and sometimes almost makes me shed a little tear, mainly due to the lyrical content and it's delivery
04:30 PM on 11/23/08
BJW7191
Retired From AP, Not Bant
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i think alvarez is the best song on this album... the intro riff feels like it kicks me in the teeth, but its so enjoyable... i love this album
04:34 PM on 11/23/08
Johnis
User Info.
EXACTLY. I'm a huge FFAF fan, and Alvarez is one of my favorite songs by them, as well as off Hours. I don't know why it's never played or talked about, I think it's great.
04:58 PM on 11/23/08
BJW7191
Retired From AP, Not Bant
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
EXACTLY. I'm a huge FFAF fan, and Alvarez is one of my favorite songs by them, as well as off Hours. I don't know why it's never played or talked about, I think it's great.

amazing... another alvarez fan... thats amazing... i agree this and the track rookie of the year are ace by this band
05:56 PM on 11/23/08
FaceLixeMurder
Grand Theft Auto
User Info.
Like this and the older releases, new cd is awful
06:39 PM on 11/23/08
The:Whaler
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
its funny i was just listening to this record, living in england all my life then moving to america a few months ago, im trying to get people here into these guys, enter, yma6, funny how huge a band can be in the uk and how small they can be in the us.

lostprophets would be another example of huge in the uk, not so much in us. shame really!
07:06 PM on 11/23/08
:-)
User Info.
History is such a beautiful song.

And unfortunately it's the only song I know by FFAF. I want to check out this album now - thanks for the review
07:22 PM on 11/23/08
Hoodrich219
xxx
User Info.
Am I the only who feels this review is strangely out of place since they just dropped a new album...not to mention the other album that was between Hours and the new one (Memory and Humanity).

Also...opinions coming: The new album is a pretty solid EP, but unfortunately a mediocre album. With their progression, so to speak, that they explored on "Tales..." they really began to drop off what it was that I had come to love from FFAF. I didn't hate the album, but it was less often what I would reach for when I wanted a disc for the road. With Memory and Humanity, they show hints at the old energy they once had, but never truly hit their stride throughout most of the disc's running time.

Just some thoughts on FFAF.
08:05 PM on 11/23/08
PeeDster
@alextranslantic
User Info.
the RIYL is laughable. but the review is alright.
04:11 AM on 11/24/08
Kbm600
Here, It Never Snowed
User Info.
PeeDster is right, this can no way be compared to Louder Now Or Deja Entendu.

Both are far too different...

I loved this release, possibly the best out of everything FFAF has ever done. Glad someone else appreciates it just as much.
06:19 AM on 11/24/08
donwagenblast
@mylifeisdon
User Info.
Am I the only who feels this review is strangely out of place since they just dropped a new album...not to mention the other album that was between Hours and the new one (Memory and Humanity).

Just some thoughts on FFAF.

I know the timing is way off ( and really late) i was just looking at reviews one day and i couldn't believe it wasn't reviewed. so i decided to do it myself haha

the RIYL is laughable. but the review is alright.
I know. I had some serious RIYL block, what do you think would have worked?
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests