AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
H2O - Nothing to Prove Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 7
Production 8
Creativity 5
Lasting Value 5
Reviewer Tilt 5
Final Verdict: 66%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 7.25
Lyrics 6.75
Production 7.75
Creativity 6.75
Lasting Value 7.25
Reviewer Tilt 7.75
Average: 73%
Inside AP.net

H2O - Nothing to Prove

Reviewed by: OKComputer1016 (11/13/08)
H2O - Nothing to Prove
Record Label: Bridge Nine
Release Date: May 27, 2008

After the colossal flop of their 2001 major label debut Go, H2O seem entirely like a band who hasgot something to prove with their sudden return to the music biz on the as-small-as-possible Bridge Nine label. As predicted, the resultant album is free of any MCA gloss and sounds a lot like older H2O, but it’s pretty obnoxious that the band’s strategy for reaching the glories of their first album was to pretty much remake it.

Well, musically H2O sounds pretty great. “Sunday” is as catchy as anything in the group’s catalogue – emotional but not emo; and “Mitts” sounds like what Millencollin’s Machine 15 should have sounded like. There aren’t really any kinks in the songwriting – the guys have uprooted whatever it was that drove them in the studio before Go. It’s the presentation of the album that doesn’t work as well.

What drives me crazy about Nothing to Prove is exactly what drove me crazy on the self-titled album in 1996 – cut that dialogue filler crap between songs! And this time, I’d say it’s worse, because on the first CD you had some guys talking about how everyone around them is getting high or drinking, and you’ve got to abide by the Straight Edge lifestyle, etc. But Nothing to Prove is cluttered by about a gazillion props-givers glorifying the guys. The audio documentary thing just doesn’t work on an album, and especially not on a fast paced punk album. There’s not that much attention span potential left by that point for your average punk rocker.

And we get it, you have a kid. Congratulations. But I can’t think of anything more annoying than putting your son on the microphone. I picture the guys standing around and hanging out, saying “Hey, you know what would be really cute?” Pair that with lyrics about “Back when we were your age, it was like this…” and H2O sound incredible old, and not in the wise Johnny Cash way.

For the most part, it just seems like H2O are trying way too hard to relive their past, using vocal cameos (like the cringe-worthy appearance of Agnostic Front’s Roger Miret in the title track – yup, he still sounds like stroke victim in pain), lyrical references to groups like Fugazi and Bad Brains to keep it real, and songs that pretty much just serve to inform us that Toby Morse still has not ever had a beer: “I was straight edge before you were born! All my friends did it all, but I never did!”

As with every other H2O album, I’m going to have to say it’s got heart and it’s catchy, but I’ll probably forget about it by next week. These would all be really good songs live, but the replay value of the album is not too great. It’s cool to see that the guys are still around and still really proud of not drinking, but it might be time to consider moving in a new direction. Go.

Recommended If You Like:
Set Your Goals, Civ, older H2O

Check It:
www.myspace.com/h2ofamily

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13
10:30 PM on 11/13/08
Nowisnotthetime
TFC
User Info.
This just seems like a rant about why you don't like H2O in general, instead of why you did or didn't like the album's songs spefically save for a few sentences. If you wanted to just rant about why you didn't like H2O, you could have put it in a blog. This isn't a review and a real waste of time reading.
01:47 PM on 11/14/08
Roboman
Don't Mind If I Didn't
User Info.
I have to agree about the talk between songs. I really don't like it when bands do that. Not to mention I can't understand what the fuck that kid is saying. There are a few too many grammatical/spelling errors in the review, though...
06:53 PM on 11/14/08
onemoresong
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
wah??? "hasgot"?
03:45 PM on 11/15/08
Wez1212Yes
User Info.
I don't mind the album, it's nothing special, but then again H20 are not anything special anyway just a decent solid band. I've never understood why they are classed as hardcore mind.
Not a good review though.
08:10 PM on 11/15/08
asthenia*
Never to see any other way...
User Info.
In my opinion H20 are a bunch of stuck up punks. they're so into making sure their rep is intact,
it's like the kids in high school who won't talk to you unless you dress like them and listen to their music.
it's an alright catchy album but it reeks of their superiority complex.
no thanks.
07:26 AM on 11/16/08
davez
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
In my opinion H20 are a bunch of stuck up punks. they're so into making sure their rep is intact,
it's like the kids in high school who won't talk to you unless you dress like them and listen to their music.
it's an alright catchy album but it reeks of their superiority complex.
no thanks.

Implying the guys in H2O are arrogant and have some superiority complex makes you about as uninformed and as clueless as most of this review.
03:19 PM on 11/16/08
Poochemist
Not that easy to confuse
User Info.
This just seems like a rant about why you don't like H2O in general, instead of why you did or didn't like the album's songs spefically save for a few sentences. If you wanted to just rant about why you didn't like H2O, you could have put it in a blog. This isn't a review and a real waste of time reading.

I'd have to agree. This reads like a blog. I haven't heard the album, just one song that's on the Bridge Nine sampler, but it sounds a lot stronger than the other stuff on that sampler.

I lol'd at Roger Miret being a stroke victim in pain. But it was cool to hear the cameo in that song.
06:32 PM on 11/16/08
jakesavestheday
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
H20 hasn't made anything with true substance since I was in high school in 1999. They are embarrassing themselves. Stop making records!
10:01 PM on 11/16/08
JustAGirl01
I think. I AM.
User Info.
i enjoyed the record minus the soundbites/shout outs.
07:22 AM on 11/19/08
Dre Okorley
User Info.
i enjoyed the record minus the soundbites/shout outs.

Same.
05:11 PM on 01/19/09
asthenia*
Never to see any other way...
User Info.
Implying the guys in H2O are arrogant and have some superiority complex makes you about as uninformed and as clueless as most of this review.
alright i'll give you that, i just dont like all the spoken word stuff - leave that out of the cd and save it for interviews
05:45 AM on 04/14/09
cburton92
User Info.
good record. Mitts is a great song
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music