Password

Album Review

Unearth - The March Album Cover

Unearth - The March

Reviewed by
Unearth - The March
Release Date: October 14, 2008
Record Label: Metal Blade
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Whenever I think or listen to Unearth, I always think of a certain professional wrestler, the one, the only Hunter Hearst Helmsley. It probably doesn’t hurt either that lead vocalist Trevor Phipps remotely resembles Triple H (well, at least to me). Also, it probably isn’t a coincidence that whenever I listen to the Massachusetts quintet’s new album, The March, I feel like I’ve been pulverized by the Pedigree over and over again.

With their fourth studio album (third for Metal Blade Records), Unearth developed a minor concept to the album, as the content of the album represent the good/hopeful and evil/greed sides of humanity. To help the process, the band brought along Adam Dutkiewicz to produce, and with Adam D you better believe you’re getting airtight, powerful guitar riffs that will leave you in a daze. And album opener, the ass-kicking “My Will Be Done,” definitely does not disappoint. With riffs that weave in and out of your ear canal, Phipps booming scream grabs you by the spine and never lets go. Buz McGrath and Ken Susi just absolutely terrorize this album with their unforgiving guitar duels in each track.

Some critics have voiced an opinion in the past about Unearth becoming stale and repetitive, but the first four tracks of The March shatter that idea. “Hail The Shrine” begins with tantalizing riffs and impressive drumming from Derek Kerswill and infuses melody in with the brutality. “Grave of Opportunity” begins with a little more melody than the previous tracks but quickly transitions into shotgun breakdowns.

“We Are Not Anonymous” is one of my favorite tracks on the album, as it just reverberates between your ears and features some sweet gang vocals. “The Cutman” has fine chemistry between the rhythm section and riffs, creating a nice fusion of sounds. “Letting Go” has a slight Southern vibe to it, while closer “Truth or Consequence” is two tracks in one and completes The March with a celebration of riffing and crunching.

It’s safe to say that Unearth will never top 2004’s The Oncoming Storm, but The March is no slouch. It continues the trend of pulverizing guitar riffs while infusing melody throughout. My only gripes with the album is that it loses steam in the middle, some of the lyrics are subpar, and, while the album is still intense, it is missing that “it” factor that the previous albums had. Overall though, if you’re a fan of Unearth and riffs so mean they’ll kick your balls up to your throat., The March is the road you want to take.

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. My Will Be Done
2. Hail The Shrine
3. Crow Killer
4. Grave of Opportunity
5. We Are Not Anonymous
6. The March
7. Cutman
8. The Chosen
9. Letting Go
10. Truth or Consequence
Produced by: Adam Dutkiewicz

Unearth is:
Trevor Phipps – vocals
Buz McGrath – guitar
Ken Susi – guitar/vocals
John Maggard – bass/vocals
Derek Kerswill – drums

Buy the album now @

Official Website; Offical Myspace Page; Official AP.net Profile

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 20
11:26 PM on 11/16/08
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
Nice review. I'll gladly listen to anything that make me look like I have three Adam's apples.
05:41 AM on 11/17/08
cereal4life
User Info.
Adam D. of Killswitch rocks when he's on producing duties. Sweet review!
07:31 AM on 11/17/08
princesschad
sowing season
User Info.
Triple H!
09:52 AM on 11/17/08
boykosaurus
---
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Good review, I agree this doesn't compare to the previous albums.
10:22 AM on 11/17/08
ilovesofie
was I good to you, wife of my youth
User Info.
It isn't as good as i expected but live are the new songs very good!
12:09 PM on 11/17/08
phillmamula
PHILLM Photography
User Info.
Metal Record of the Year!
12:12 PM on 11/17/08
EndSerenading
we were born for battle
User Info.
Phill! and yes I enjoy this record. Not as much as The Oncoming Storm but this band is still fun.
12:25 PM on 11/17/08
sevinw0rds
Polyrhythms!
User Info.
I've enjoyed all their records so far, and I loved the last sentence of the review cause it reminded me of something Deb said on Dexter.
01:17 PM on 11/17/08
Silver Bullets
All you need is love.
User Info.
eh, it's ok, but didn't do the same for me as Oncoming Storm or III
02:40 PM on 11/17/08
SteveD
It won't snow where she is going.
User Info.
I actually didn't expect this review to be as good as it was. I didn't think anyone here would ever say anything good about Unearth hah.

Bro great review, spot on.
03:27 PM on 11/17/08
iAMhollyood315
Rest is for the dead
User Info.
i would say the oncoming storm is my fav record by them because of the breakdowns and what not, their last record was good, but it had to grow on me. this i need to give more time but musicanship is AMAZING. blazing sweeping guitars and dirty drumming. def a solid release that i need to listen to more.
03:35 PM on 11/17/08
gladnads
iGnoble Apathian
User Info.
It's no III, but still p. good.
04:59 PM on 11/17/08
PMFtheman
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great record but the lyrics lack on some of the songs. Trevor could of really let it all out about the good vs bad and this just seems kinda lacking in the lyrics department.

T.O.S > The March > III > Stings
05:48 PM on 11/17/08
laflava
User Info.
True, Unearth has the tendency to be monotonous, but honestly I think they've perfected what they do and are just building on that with every album. I don't see any similarities between Unearth now and Strings of Consciousness Unearth, but instead I see them branching off from The Oncoming Storm and trying out a few new things while remaining heavy as hell and following the same formula at TOS. Of course now they are really incorporating some extremely nice shredding to it instead of typical, fist pumping breakdown riffs. I, for one, am impressed with what they are doing, but do not disagree with this review at all. Solid job.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos