AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Silent Movie Records News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

The Weakend Statement For Break-Up

Posted by - 01:16 AM on 11/24/08
The Weakend's former vocalist, Andrew Loehr, has released a statement regarding their breakup and future endeavors.
Statement From AndrewAs many of you know, The Weakend has officially called it quits and will be playing our very last show on November 28th at the Magic Stick in Detroit with our old friends Fordirelifesake. There have been an incredible amount of messages sent to me regarding the confusion of the events that led to the disbandment of The Weakend; and as many, if not more, rumors. You are not alone. I don't think that any of us (members of The Weakend) fully understand the circumstances either. I am writing this message to kill off any false rumors circulating, to put the minds of our fans at ease, and to promote future endeavors of the members of The Weakend. I did not get the consent of any of the members of The Weakend to release this statement. So, if they disagree with anything in it… I apologize. This message is just as much for me as it is by me and, like some of our most supportive fans, I need this as closure as much as they may.

As the digital age is well upon us, it's much easier for a band to record on a strict budget and still manage to make their album go gold. The Weakend continuously lived in the past and made the mistake of recording at studios that we really couldn't afford and it put us in a huge pile of debt that we could have avoided had we bought our own equipment and made our own studio. As good as the songs came out from both Nada Studios and Play/Work Productions, we were not ready for that kind of financial burden and it set us light years behind. The more we spent on recording, the less we had for touring, merch, etc. This final show is in hopes that we will recoup some of our losses from recording Tornado Days, the Nada demos, and even How Everyone Ruins Everything…. We WILL have the disc for everyone and we will be putting it up on iTunes along with a B-Sides album chop full of our greatest material that never hit the streets. I'm extremely excited about the show. It will truly be an honor to play in front of all of our supportive fans one last time and I hope that everyone comes out if they are able to.

As for me, I have had financial problems of my own that also held the band back. My parents moved to Alabama when I was 18, leaving me to completely fend for myself in a failing Bush economy that seemed to hit Michigan much harder than most other states. I was as persistent as I was naïve to get the band going and stay with it, regardless of my financial situation. After 4 years of freelancing myself to random-ass jobs that made me very little to no money and jumping from house to house I ran into situation after situation where I wasn't able to afford rent or food and was bumming rides and cigarettes off of Mark and Brian constantly. Eventually, the lease on one of the houses I was staying in a couple of years ago ran out and I had no down payment for something new. I had no other choice but to move to Alabama with my parents while I tried to sort out my life and get back on my feet. I was able to find a full-time job and began saving up money to start paying back debts to friends and made plans to come back to Michigan to continue the band's tireless efforts to make a name for ourselves in the impossibly complicated music industry. It hadn't been more than a month in Alabama before I met an incredible girl named Jasmine and was able to convince her to move back to Michigan with me once things became a bit more stable. Before long, I was back in Michigan playing a bunch of shows and recording demos in my basement for what I hoped to be a future full length for The Weakend. We finished writing and demoing about 10 songs that we all loved and started the search for a place to record. We had a very strict budget and unfortunately, even stricter standards for recording quality. We decided on Play/Work productions in Philly. We had to cut a bunch of songs and shorten the full length to another EP in order to afford the recording. I came down with a pretty bad cold during the recordings due to allergies and blew out my voice during pre-production. When it was time to record vocals, I could still barely talk but pushed through the main vocals as efficiently as I could (while taking hits from my Vicks vaporizer between each take). We ran out of time with the studio and weren't able to fit in harmonies. Play/Work told us not to fear. The demos that I recorded for the band in my basement were done well enough to use many of the tracks from and they would send me demos to record background vocals over at home that I could send back to them to finish mixing the songs.

While we anxiously awaited the demos to come back to us, my landlord had found someone to buy the house I was in and gave me less than two weeks to find a new place to live. We all know that two weeks isn't much time to save up for a security deposit on a new place and I once again found myself in a position where I'd probably have to move back to Alabama. The Weakend was not happy about this news and it widened the already growing distance between the members of the band and myself - but what other choice did I have? Jasmine and I looked everywhere for somewhere to stay. However, with less than $300 in our pockets, our options were very limited. Her dad was kind enough to offer us a home he was renting in AL for only $75 a month and also offered to sell us a house he was going to re-build on a rent to own contract once it was finished. Of course, we couldn't turn down the opportunity. With plans of getting married, the idea of having a stable and permanent roof over our heads was sounding better and better and better.

After a month or so back in Alabama, I finally got mixes back from Play/Work that didn't sound much different from how they sounded when we first left their studio 4-5 months earlier. I quickly got to work recording the background vocals and returned the tracks to their studio in a few weeks. After almost a year of waiting, the five songs we recorded in PA are finally finished and will be available for your ears at our last show on the day after Thanksgiving.

I blame bad timing, bad luck, a bad economy, and bad judgment for the downfall of The Weakend. I can't express my appreciation enough to everyone who has continuously supported our musical endeavors for the past 5 years and all of the support and publicity we have had from ap.net. We had been blessed with some of the best fans in the world. I know, for some of you, this has been a disappointing period for Detroit's local music scene but for everything that ends, something new begins. I have been in the process of constructing a recording studio into the house that my now father-in-law and I have been building. I have two solo full length albums ready to be recorded and once we finish the house, my number one priority will be finishing both albums and releasing them online in the same vein as Radiohead's "In Rainbows". Donate what you want and download the disc. I am also still a working unit in the band Elephantom. Both Elephantom and my solo project, Andrew Michael, are a drastic step away from musical style of The Weakend but that seems to be what happens as you get older; your taste in music changes and matures. Mark, Jeff, and Brian are now a part of a band known as Deastro. Let me tell you, they kick some serious ass. While playing in Elephantom, I had the pleasure of sharing the stage with Deastro when they were still a one-piece and I was blown away. I'm not sure if James or Joe plan on continuing to pursue a career in music but I wish them the best in all of their future endeavors.

If you're interested in where we are now:
www.myspace.com/andrewmichaelband
www.myspace.com/deastro
www.myspace.com/elephantommusic

I realize that this was extremely long winded. So, thank you for your patience and support and I hope to see all of you on Friday. The past 5-6 years have been awesome and I can't wait to see what the future holds for all of us.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 28
01:18 AM on 11/24/08
Nathan Lint
That's the real joke
User Info.
i was always cheering for these guys, they could just never get it together. That's unfortunate. I wish you guys luck!
01:23 AM on 11/24/08
Jason Tate
User Info.
Best of luck to all of them. I think the new tunes sound great.
01:46 AM on 11/24/08
TheFreshness
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I remember listening to this band in like 05', I wish I could remember the name of that song that they were getting hype from.
02:20 AM on 11/24/08
*crying stars*
... are you crazy?
User Info.
I wish the whole band well in whatever they decide to do after this.

Bummer that so many bands are having an even harder time making it because of the economy.
04:31 AM on 11/24/08
rmenteer14
Man Without Wax / Rory
User Info.
good dudes.
06:05 AM on 11/24/08
so typical
User Info.
its a shame, one of if not my favorite unsigned band.
06:52 AM on 11/24/08
Harold_Crick
Matching Socks just feel wrong
User Info.
so sad, but such a great band, I feel sorry for any who have not had the chance to see them live....its insane.
07:24 AM on 11/24/08
FreddyKrueger
Dream Master Soul Keeper
User Info.
Wow, alot of rumors were going around about him here in Metro Detroit making him sound like some whipped wussy who decided to move to Alabama on a whim. It's a good thing he posted this because it makes the situation seem alot more understandable. Things happen as you grow up, the guys gotta do whats good for him. Their first EP was killer though it would have been interesting to see where the band would have gone if they would have done the unsigned band thing like you me and everyone we know.
07:44 AM on 11/24/08
imagination
/ignitetheknown
User Info.
that's a bummer.. good luck to the guys
07:52 AM on 11/24/08
lastchancegdbye
1/2 of green green green
User Info.
sigh....
08:20 AM on 11/24/08
ARo2431
User Info.
It sucks to see one of the only good bands here in MI go. I remember seeing these guys years ago opening for FOB at Clutch Cargos, good times. Good luck to these guys, they'll be missed.
08:50 AM on 11/24/08
emotionisdd
User Info.
As vocalists and bands from the Detroit scene such as Craig Owens and Danny Stevens get more exposure and more success in the industry, I always wondered to myself what if...

Anyone from that metro Detroit scene will agree with me that Andrew was a huge influence on the listening habits and musical direction of aspiring musicians in the area. With Forever Ending and Short of 1st before The Weakend he has been one of the "it" artists to watch to come out of Detroit. It's still a stinging disappointment that it has yet to happen.

To Andrew, the best of luck.
To anyone in Michigan who can, PLEASE try to go to this show.
08:52 AM on 11/24/08
ThisIsNotDan
User Info.
thats a bummer, these songs sound awesome
09:53 AM on 11/24/08
saving jonathan
everything in transit
User Info.
This really sucks. I know what it's like to be broke.
I still listen to How Everyone Ruins Everything... regularly. Sad to see such a great Michigan band go.

Best of luck to them all.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version