AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Umbrellas - 05.01.05

Interviewed by
Umbrellas - 05.01.05Absolutepunk.net Interview Ė Umbrellas

First off, I want to thank you for taking time out of your busy day to sit and answer a few questions with us.

a:not a problem, we have the day off and iím bored in a hotel room.

What is your name, and what do you do in Umbrellas?

a: my name is scott and i sing and play guitar.

You guys were all in previous bands right? How did you guys all meet up to form the band?

a: i knew brandon(drums) from a previous band he was in. we both had moved out to california and i heard he was looking to be in a new band. he had an old friend who played keyboards move out to california from texas. and our bass player was a roomate so it all just kind of worked out.

Why did you guys decide to name the band Umbrellas?

a: it is an ancient family secret.

The band just recently released their album off of The Militia Group. Are you guys pretty excited now that its all finished?

a: yeah iím deffinitely excited the record finally came out last week. half of the record was recorded in may of 2004 and the rest in the fall of 2004. so i feel like iíve been sitting on the record forever. but yeah it feels good to finally get things going.

The Militia Group is an amazing label, how did you guys get hooked up with them?

a: my old band was one of the first bands signed to militia so it just kind of carried over from that. you are correct in saying that they are an amzing label. we get along quite nicely.

I was reading the bio on your website and its not your typical band bio, Is there any meaning behind it?

a: when i sat down with our publicist we talked about how we wanted to do something different with the bio. usually they are pretty boring. so yeah we tried to spice things up a bit.

Are the lyrics on the back of the case the most meaningful lyrics of the song? Or what is the significance behind that?

a: that was kind of the idea of the artist doing the layout and i went along with it. i orginally tried to pick out the lyrics that meant the most. but i had trouble deciding on which ones to use. so i had to enlist the help of some of the militia folks to help in the decision.

I just caught you guys in Omaha at the Rocket Summer show. Do you guys have any plans for other tours this summer?

a: yeah we are still on the militia group tour with rocket summer and brandtson. cartel just dropped off the tour to begin recording. this tour takes us until the end of may and we hope to get back on the road in early june. nothing is pinned down yet but it looks like we will be touring with some good friends called the spill canvas.

Have you guys ever feared to open in thought of there being bad luck?

a: open a show? never. i actually kind of like opening shows. when we headline then i just sit around all night getting all nervous and worked up.

What were some of your favorite bands growing up? And are there any that you still are in love with?

a: i remember nirvana being my absolute all time favorite band starting in 7th grade. i worshiped kurt cobain. i deffinitely still pull out an old nirvana record every once in a while.

Are there any local bands from your area or any unsigned bands that we should be keeping our ears out for?

a: you know i used to be more in the loop with that stuff but these days i just havenít been keeping up.

What are your thoughts on the music industry these days?

a: lately i have been really bummed out by the whole industry. when you have a new record come out there is just so much stuff going on and things you have to do. it is really overwhelming. you have to put things in perspective and remember why you do what you do.

Some of your favorite movies?

a: iím deffinitely a huge wes anderson fan. anything he does i like. hmm i watch a ton of movies. i like the big lebowski a lot.

What can we expect from Umbrellas in the future? Have you started writing anything for the next album?

a: as i said before the record just came out last week so right now our plans are to tour as much as we can. whenver i get free time i like to mess around with new song ideas but nothing serious yet.

Where do you see yourself in five years? As a band and individually.

a: it is so hard to say. i would assume it will be something with music. i just canít get away from it. hopefully i will be doing something that makes me happy.

Thatís about it, is there anything you would like say to all the kids out in ap.net land?

a: thanks so much for the interview. go pick up the new record and you will put a huge smile on our faces. we hope to see you all soon at a show. thanks!

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
03:57 AM on 05/03/05
a typicalcliche
I Give Great Hugs
User Info.
awesome

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles