Password

Album Review

Greenwood - When We Become Album Cover

Greenwood - When We Become

Reviewed by
Greenwood - When We Become
Record Label: None
Release Date: November 2007
To say that this is a poor album would be inaccurate. Greenwood's When We Become should be a solid foundation for the band to build upon. There is one glaring problem with the record: repetitiveness. It becomes hard to tell one song from the last, as they all seem to share the same sound, structure, and message. It isn't bad, or uncomfortable to listen to, it's just that after so many songs you ask, "Didn't I just hear this?" There are moments where the band seems like they are building the song up to a crescendo or an opportunity for something that would stand out, but then they don't. While the lyrical content does contain a religious message that is fairly obvious, it is not to the point of being excessive or annoying as other bands have done over the years. The message is there, but the approach is still subtle enough to appeal to an average listener.

In regards to the technical aspects of the album, there aren't many complaints. The intricacy of the songs shows that these guys know how to play their instruments, and they know how to play them well. The breakdown in "Here We Are" is done to perfection. The vocals range from semi-talkative meWithoutyou style speaking to words being belted out as powerful as humanly possible. The musicianship and the vocals are impressive, it just feels like the band has not been able to fully utilize these abilities.

With better production, and maybe an extra dose of creativity, this band would be more than capable of creating an album which would appeal to a larger audience. Greenwood has shown that they have the fundamentals down, and are more than ready to take the next step to becoming a better band, and creating a better album.

Recommended if You LikeEmery before they became a party band

myspace.com/greenwood
This review is a user submitted review from anamericangod. You can see all of anamericangod's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
01:42 AM on 12/09/08
Ryzenfall
makin' good time
User Info.
Good to see another review by you. I think i might have to check this out. I miss old Emery a lot.

I'm hoping they just made a few large missteps and haven't 'become' something entirely different.
07:02 AM on 12/09/08
!?!
bahahaha
User Info.
its good to know that someone else knows about greenwood
in my opinion my calling is the best song off the album
07:29 AM on 12/09/08
DejaMe
It's a funny thing this life.
User Info.
Been meaning to check this guys out but I haven't yet. Seems like they are certainly worth a try judging from the influences that they list on their myspace....I shall listen up once and for all.
12:13 PM on 03/02/09
centralIL
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
in response to this: "It becomes hard to tell one song from the last, as they all seem to share the same sound, structure, and message. It isn't bad, or uncomfortable to listen to, it's just that after so many songs you ask, "Didn't I just hear this?" "

To an un-trained and non-musical ear, Greenwood's songs probably would sound very similar. But here's the kicker. Greenwood doesn't appeal to fall out boy fans, or cute is what we aim for fans. they appeal to musicians and fans of challenging music.
If by sound you mean production quality then you are correct. They recorded all the songs in one studio.
If by structure you mean they have a chorus-ish part, then yes you are correct.
Now, the message? You must not have read or even heard the lyrics. Not to mention the fact that some songs are ANTI-RELIGOUS and you claim they are a religous band.
I've never heard another band that sounds like greenwood and i probably won't until they are big enough to be copied off of. Obviously if you've heard greenwood a 66% review is terrible and it should be a 89-99%. although whoever reviewed this is doing a great job of being a CRITIC.
in all, i'm happy someone took the time to appreciate a good band and also took the time to tell others about them. thank you for appreciating music.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos