Password

Album Review

Speak Her Language - Speak Her Language Album Cover

Speak Her Language - Speak Her Language

Reviewed by
Speak Her Language - Speak Her Language
Record Label: None
Release Date: October 2007
The other day I was telling a joke to all my boys. It was one of those jokes that builds up for awhile, and then the punch line is delivered unexpectedly; it catches everyone off guard, but is hilarious once they get it. This is just what happened when I told this joke to my best buddies. I delivered that punch line and they all just doubled over with laughter; I felt quite accomplished.

Next I thought I'd try this joke on all my "other" friends (note: when I say "other", I mean females). I built up the joke just like I was supposed to, then: the ultimate punch line. Dead silence. Then I went about trying to explain the joke to them so they could understand it, and maybe I could gain a little redemption for this horrifying attempt at humor in the eyes of girls. I explained the joke, but only managed to get mostly blank faces, and a few pity smiles that said "Yes, I understood the joke. I just didn't think it was funny."

Speak Her Language had the first effect on me; despite the fact that I'm a guy, and their name is Speak Her Language. The first time I heard them, it was kind of like when I delivered the punch line to the guys: immediate joy. The self-titled CD starts off with "Killing Me Tonight" which immediately caught my attention because it starts off with three or so notes on a piano, and then instantly brings in the guitars, with the drums shortly thereafter. I was also surprised by the singer's voice; it's a kind of lower-pitched voice that mixes well with his almost British sounding accent. His voice is slightly reminiscent of Keane's Tom Chaplin. This is one of the best tracks on this release because it depicts the clever lyrics Speak Her Language brings to the table. With lyrics such as "There's no/'yes' in 'no'/But you turn it around/You're 'on' to/Something new/Or someone you knew from a minute before." I really shouldn't say that this is one of the best tracks, because all of the songs have a quality about them that makes that song better than the others.

Track two, "The Buildup," is exactly what it's called: a buildup. This song is an intro for the next song, "Perfect People." This is another one of my favorites. It's a melody-driven track that again shows Speak Her Language's knack for coming up with smart lyrics. The chorus is an example of this, which goes: "There's no perfect people in this world/But if there are it's/Definitely not/One of us."

Skipping to track five, "Talking To Gravestones" is the slow song of this release. Speak Her Language changes the tempo up masterfully with this song. It's just amazing. The chorus asks a question: "Can I die for you?." It's just a great song, any way I look at it.

Speak Her Language does not claim anything that's never been done before; but they take what has been done before and mold it to their shape in a masterful way. I may not be a "her," but Speak Her Language definitely speaks my language.

Recommended if You LikeKeane

myspace.com/speakherlanguage
This review is a user submitted review from RelientMayday. You can see all of RelientMayday's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version