Password

Album Review

Wolftron - Flesh & Fears Album Cover

Wolftron - Flesh & Fears

Reviewed by
Wolftron - Flesh & Fears
Record Label: Eyeball Records
Release Date: May 6, 2008
Most of us know Kenny Choi as the frontman of Daphne Loves Derby. I'm not a fan and, unfortunately, I let that stand between me and checking out Wolftron. Whether or not you like Daphne Loves Derby, you should be able to appreciate the artistic merit of Choi's side project, and his newest release Flesh and Fears.

Yes, yes, I know. The name Wolftron may strike you as a little tacky, as it did to me. However, as I'm sure you've been told, it's best not to judge a book by its cover. The music itself is, for lack of an even better word, captivating. I won't lie, I was hesitant at first. I wasn't sure if this was my "thing." The more I listened though, the more I liked it, and eventually, I was hooked. Every song is complete, and it creates an album with the same sense of fulfillment that can't be ignored. Recorded in the most humble of settings, it balances a raw and stripped down sound with the production that we're all so used to. Explaining the "genre" is a problem; it's not indie, it's not just rock, and it's not pop, but those are the only genres that when placed together come close to describing it.

I'm explaining this like a work of art because it is. In each track, the acoustic guitar will slowly guide your ears across the other various instruments whether it's a drum set, a violin, or a piano, as Choi's soft vocals coax you further and further into the music. His vocals stay in a perfect place; he keeps them just loud enough to keep attention, but doesn't let them overpower the music. The lyrics are intelligent, and the melodies soft but entertaining.

Truthfully, I cannot find a single flaw in any of this album's eleven tracks. "Sugar Skulls" is one of my favorites. It brings out all of the elements of Flesh and Fears that I love and magnifies them tenfold. Following it is my favorite track, "Uglybird." Choi's delivery of the first lines, "Shine like city lights burning bright/ learn to love what you hate by tonight" is catchy and immensely entertaining. I'll leave you with this brief skimming of my favorite tracks, and spare you the novel that would appear if I dared to write in detail.

This album has completely floored me. If you're a music fan at all, you should be able to at least appreciate Wolftron. Choi has crafted a masterful album, and it's only a shame that he won't be able to commit his full time to this act. As I said before, I was hesitant at first. Whether this was because of my dislike for his full time project, or just the music itself, I don't know what i was thinking. I urge you not to make the same mistake; give Wolftron a chance.

Recommended if You LikeDaphne Loves Derby; E for Explosion

myspace.com/wolftron

originally posted at highbeamreview.com on May 7, 2008
This review is a user submitted review from Klatzke. You can see all of Klatzke's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
05:59 AM on 12/09/08
lovelesscrux
(wanted with the southside)
User Info.
nice review bro, glad to see someone else who appreciates kenny's talent
06:13 AM on 12/12/08
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
This is a good album. It drops off in spots, but it's a good disc. Far better than what he's done with DLD to date.
12:00 PM on 12/21/08
hipvee43
User Info.
i agree this album is amazing, i never even listened to daphne loves derby before this
01:12 PM on 12/21/08
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
Mhmm. Also like to add that this score came out oddly low.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos