Password

Album Review

I Have Clones - Music 2.0 Album Cover

I Have Clones - Music 2.0

Reviewed by
I Have Clones - Music 2.0
Record Label: None
Release Date: November 16, 2008
The concept of mixing electronics with heavy music is not generally looked upon favorably these days. With a slew of bands creating cheesy, watered-down dance parties for scene kids, it almost seems like such a great idea is going to waste. There might be salvation for this genre yet, though, in the form of the UK's I Have Clones.

With a a few MP3s and demos, I Have Clones began to produce a bit of a stir in the MySpace world, and with plays now exceeding 80,000, it seems as though they just might be doing something right. The lone member/creative engine behind I Have Clones is Robx, and he's proven himself to be quite diverse. I Have Clones sounds like a six or seven piece band working together in precision.

Music 2.0 is the self-released debut from I Have Clones, and it is just reeking of promise and potential. The opener, "Vulnerable," kicks things off with glitchy synths, some strings, and clean vocals, telling the story of what appears to be a love on the brink of ending. It isn't long, though, before the heavy elements begin to subtly sneak their way in, before the guitars fall into place in the pre-chorus. The lyrics then switch to frailty (or insanity), proclaiming that "she's so vulnerable/like a loaded canon/She's so vulnerable/like a broken lantern." What follows, though, is a complete 180. Much like what Fear Before the March of Flames did on The Always Open Mouth with "Drowning the Old Hag," the second track, "Fear For Flames," chugs in with heavy guitars, growls, and a synth melody, setting up for a cleanly-sung chorus with electronics sneaking their way in. When the piano-and-drum-machine-fueled outro begin, you realize that what's been created here is truly something special.

The true gem of this album comes in the form of "She Chose Chav," a track that alternates between more glitchy synths, an anthemic chorus, and a breakdown that seems natural, all with the best lyrics that Bloc Party never wrote and some high-screamed vocals dispersed just enough to create some goosebumps. This track really proves how seamless and natural the electronics feel along side the heavier elements of I Have Clones' music. In a perfect world, "She Chose Chav" would be a hit, and a saving grace for the genre.

Despite the epic proportions, Music 2.0 does have a few flaws thrown about. The screams and growls can be a little over-bearing at times, and the lyrics during those parts are all but indecipherable. Musically, the album seems almost Jekyll-Hyde, slamming cleaner electro portions with the heavier portions, such as on "IHC." While not necessarily a bad thing, it can be a tad intimidating to a new listener.

Under the right circumstances, I Have Clones could truly come through and be the ace of spades for the fusion of electronica and metal, especially given the current state of the scene. With bands such as Breathe Carolina and brokeNCYDE producing their mediocre interpretation of this style, I Have Clones should be a welcome addition to the music world. All that needs to happen now is for the word to get out, not just about Music 2.0, but about I Have Clones in general. Considering that the alternative is another crappy Sky Eats Airplane rip-off, it's about time.

Recommended if You LikeSky Eats Airplane; something better than Breathe Carolina; Fear Before the March of Flames' The Always Open Mouth; never knowing what to expect next

myspace.com/ihaveclones
This review is a user submitted review from Broclee. You can see all of Broclee's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
02:28 AM on 12/07/08
terrorvision101
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I listened to this after your review, and it's awesome! Such an awesome mix of the electro and the brutal. I love how theres crazy awesome dance beats and brutal screaming in the same song, and all the glitchy bits are so cool. I hope he tours my way soon.

Cheers for reveiwing this, I'd have never heard of it otherwise. But I google it, and the whole album is available free on his website! Legend. I've ordered a t-shirt as well, I'm that cool ;)

www.ihaveclones.com if anyone wants it :)
06:09 AM on 12/07/08
Broclee
Dude, this is so Inception.
User Info.
Ahh, I'm so glad to hear that!

Yeah, I'm not quite sure why I didn't mention the fact that the album is available for free from their website, but it's totally worth it, and kudos for ordering a shirt.
11:09 AM on 12/07/08
theskinnyfatguy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I downloaded the CDs for free a couple days before this review was written. It's pretty good stuff. I agree 100% with the review. I Have Clones definitely does have great potential.
07:01 PM on 12/14/08
more heart
Regular-Sized Rudy
User Info.
sounds like good stuff
10:30 PM on 01/11/09
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
getting this now, sounds awesome.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News