AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Ladytron - Velocifero Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 9
Production 9.25
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 9.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 87%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Ladytron - Velocifero

Reviewed by: skinnypuppy (12/06/08)
Ladytron - Velocifero
Record Label: Nettwerk Records
Release Date: June 3, 2008

Way back in 2006, we all had to dust off our dancing shoes and groove to the music supplied by Ladytron's third album, [/i]Witching Hour[/i]. This was fine and dandy up until they released their new album, Velocifero, which simply blows all past efforts away and will certainly require a fresh pair of dancing shoes.

Yes, that is right: these Liverpool natives took their signature sound, added some incredibly deep lyrics, and released an album that should be on everyone's list of top electronic albums of the year. Tracks like "Ghosts," "They Gave You a Heart, They Gave You a Name" and "Burning Up" are shining examples of Ladytron doing it right and hitting their audience hard. While a few tracks do fall flat due to lack of energy ("Kletva," "Predict the Day"), the main focus of the record entices listeners to move their head while smiling.

Even with melancholy lyrics of love and loss, loneliness and longing, Ladytron have effortlessly mastered an attitude that somehow makes the listener feel a sense of accomplishment, rather than sorrowful depression. The lyrics from "Burning Up," for example, are especially poignant: "I set myself on fire without you / I wrote a protest song about you." But moreso onthe track "Ghosts": "There's a ghost inside me / who wants to say "I'm sorry" / doesn't mean "I'm sorry"." This kind of attitude carries the record from start to finish, and makes for a good companion piece to a recent relationship folly.

You can definitely hear the influence of My Bloody Valentine, Depeche Mode, and Gary Numan on the band - though that's not necessarily a bad thing, merely an observation. If you can tame the stylings of those artists without sounding contrived, you have succeeded in the electro-dance business. If Velocifero is any indication of where Ladytron are going as a band, then we have nothing to fear.

Recommended if You LikeCrystal Castles; Depeche Mode; VNV Nation; HEALTH

myspace.com/ladytron

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News