Username
Password

11:47 AM on 12/09/08 
User Info.
kemichels
I drove through ghosts to get here.
Brooklyn, NY
Male - 28 Years Old
Am I missing something? Was Lincoln black?

A lot of people say yes, or that he at least came primarily from African decent. There's a good book on it, and you can probably find some more info on the intranets.
11:49 AM on 12/09/08 
User Info.
kemichels
Brooklyn, NY
Male - 28 Years Old
Will Smith could play him?

lulz.
11:51 AM on 12/09/08 
User Info.
WakingTheMisery
<3
TX/NJ
Male - 26 Years Old
A lot of people say yes, or that he at least came primarily from African decent. There's a good book on it, and you can probably find some more info on the intranets.

It's all too controversial. I did a little bit of research myself and found no evidence to support the theory. I will have to pick up that book over break.
11:54 AM on 12/09/08 
User Info.
kemichels
Brooklyn, NY
Male - 28 Years Old

lol a comment on that article:

"dang that's not wot they taught me at hischool?!?!? We been lied to by whitey for way too long. I ax my teacher an she say this story ain't tue but she would say that cuz da bitch is white"
11:57 AM on 12/09/08 
User Info.
kemichels
Brooklyn, NY
Male - 28 Years Old
It's all too controversial. I did a little bit of research myself and found no evidence to support the theory. I will have to pick up that book over break.

"
Abraham Lincoln was our 16th president from 1861 to 1865. J. A. Rogers quotes Lincoln's mother, Nancy Hanks, as saying that Abraham Lincoln was the illegitimate son of an African man. William Herndon, Lincoln's law partner, said that Lincoln had very dark skin and coarse hair and that his mother was from an Ethiopian tribe. In Herndon's book entitled "The Hidden Lincoln" he says that Thomas Lincoln could not have been Abraham Lincoln's father because he was sterile from childhood mumps and was later castrated. Lincoln's presidential opponents made cartoon drawings depicting him as a Negro and nicknamed him ďAbraham Africanus the First.""

mostly just name dropping the book title for you.
01:39 PM on 12/09/08 
User Info.
Ailite
one bright dusk
Philadelphia, PA
Male - 22 Years Old
This will be good
02:07 PM on 12/09/08 
User Info.
Machu505
yep
New Haven CT
Male - 19 Years Old
Well since everyone has used the "But Neeson isn't black" line, I'll take a different route.

But Liam Neeson isn't gay.
02:11 PM on 12/09/08 
User Info.
c_rob2700
believe that we have lost our eyes
Evansville, Indiana
Male - 22 Years Old
Qui-Gon?
02:28 PM on 12/09/08 
User Info.
Machu505
yep
New Haven CT
Male - 19 Years Old
Ra's al-Ghul?
02:51 PM on 12/09/08 
User Info.
Adeniz19
whikawhikawhaaat
Tulare, CA
Male - 29 Years Old
people do realize the dailysquib is pretty much just like the onion, right?
09:02 AM on 12/10/08 
User Info.
popdisaster00
Two years is a long time to pretend
Twin Cities, MN
Male - 25 Years Old
I didn't know that actually. That was just one of the first results of my google search
09:27 AM on 12/10/08 
User Info.
needles & pins
misses Home Movies.
Carbondale, PA
Female - 27 Years Old
Well since everyone has used the "But Neeson isn't black" line, I'll take a different route.

But Liam Neeson isn't gay.

What I came in here to say haha.

I want to see what direction this film is going to take, if it'll try to address any of the "controversial" things or if it'll be a straight "Oh, Lincoln was awesome" route.
05:03 PM on 12/10/08 
User Info.
anthonythings
libertarian.
Boston, MA
Male - 25 Years Old

There was an article posted a little over a month ago, it was a big "discovery". I know there was a thread about it in the politics forum. Only reason I remember is someone posted a picture of Frederick Douglass and pretended it was Lincoln, and some posters actually thought it was.
12:30 PM on 02/11/09 
User Info.
Adeniz19
whikawhikawhaaat
Tulare, CA
Male - 29 Years Old
In any event, a longtime HE reader in attendance informs by cell-phone e-mail that Kushner has said "the decision will be made on Lincoln next week" and that if the green light is given the film will be "out by Christmas." That's pretty fast work for a expensive period film that'll use a lot of CG, no? Even if Spielberg passes on Civil War battle scenes.
Kushner also said that Lincoln "only covers two months of his life," my guy says, and that "the first draft covered four months and [was] 500 pages."

Kushner also said that the 13th amendment -- the abolition of slavery and involuntary servitude -- "is a big thing in the movie."

One presumes that Kushner meant that the film will cover the last two months of Lincoln's life, or roughly February 15th to April 15th, 1865 -- the day of his death. The 13th amendment was enacted on December 6, 1865, so there'll apparently be a little skipping around, event- and chronology-wise.

If any attention is to be paid to the Civil War during the last 60 days of Lincoln's term, possible inclusions would be (a) the Union victory at the Battle of Five Forks on April 1st, which forced Gen. Robert E. Lee to evacuate Petersburg and Richmond, the Confederate capital, (b) a subsequent rebel loss at Sayler's Creek, and (c) Lee's surrender on April 9, 1865, in the village of Appomattox Court House.

When I spoke to Liam Neeson (who will most likely play Lincoln) in the summer of '05, he said he understood that the film would span the full arc of Lincoln's time in the White House, beginning in March 1861.

http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2009/...rgs_linc_2.php
12:55 PM on 02/11/09 
User Info.
Ailite
one bright dusk
Philadelphia, PA
Male - 22 Years Old
I dislike the 2 month idea

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives