Password

Album Review

Dead Confederate - Wrecking Ball Album Cover

Dead Confederate - Wrecking Ball

Reviewed by
Dead Confederate - Wrecking Ball
Record Label: TAO Records
Release Date: September 16, 2008
Georgia’s Dead Confederate play their own brand of rock that lies somewhere between stoner and psychedelic rock. It’s not quite metal or progressive, but there is certainly more to be heard on Wrecking Ball than run of the mill alternative rock songs.

Hardy Morris, the 28-year-old singer/guitarist, has a voice similar to Kurt Cobain or Thom Yorke. He croons soulfully over a rhythm section that chugs along to heavy riffing that brings to mind early 90’s grunge bands such as Soundgarden or Nirvana. This is contrasted by spacey, atmospheric guitar work reminiscent of Pink Floyd or Radiohead.

It is worthy to note that much of the album was recorded in single takes with little to no over dubbing. Dead Confederate’s Wrecking Ball is a purely honest record and it is almost impossible to find anything wrong with it. The album flows nicely and takes you on a ride of highs & lows that would be best enjoyed while relaxing or just simply spacing out.

Track Listing01. Heavy Petting
02. The Rat
03. Goner
04. It Was a Race
05. Yer Circus
06. All the Angels
07. Start Me Laughing
08. The News Underneath
09. Flesh Colored Canvas
10. Wrecking Ball

Recommended if You LikeRadiohead's OK Computer; Nirvana's In Utero; Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here; Hawkwind; Brand New's The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me

myspace.com/deadconfederate
This review is a user submitted review from mr chainsaw. You can see all of mr chainsaw's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
02:44 AM on 12/23/08
PunkDrums182
I won't always live.. Not stopping.
User Info.
hey man, you should change the ratings, I was expecting this to be you just shitting all over the album because you gave it a 3% haha
06:11 AM on 01/01/09
mr chainsaw
lets all go to the magician's b-day
User Info.
hey man, you should change the ratings, I was expecting this to be you just shitting all over the album because you gave it a 3% haha
Yeah, when I submitted this I forgot to do them...I just found out that my review got posted so I updated. I'm not particularly fond of using number ratings for individual traits of the album. My 80% is for the album as a whole.
07:42 AM on 04/08/09
owiseone35
You need human heat
User Info.
I'm surprised not many comments, my friend got me into this band an I'm enjoying what I've heard. This is seriously how Southern Rock is supposed to be, and you hit the nail on the head with the Nirvana influence its pretty obvious and I'm glad they are a lot more then just some copy cat band. Short and Sweet Review for a good band.
01:27 PM on 05/03/09
mena
This whole box is Pepe Silvia!
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
One of my favorite albums of '08.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles