Password

Album Review

Hadouken! - Music for an Accelerated Culture Album Cover

Hadouken! - Music for an Accelerated Culture

Reviewed by
Hadouken! - Music for an Accelerated Culture
Record Label: Surface Noise
Release Date: October 21, 2008
British Nu-Ravers Hadouken! are a band born to split opinions. If genre labels like 'Dance-Punk' and 'Grindie' don't convince you of that, then one listen to Music for an Accelerated Culture, a brash, uncompromising insight into current UK youth culture, certainly will.

Electronic beats, catchy hooks, and just about as many synthesizers as can possibly be fit into forty minutes of audio CD come as a barrage to the listener, but it is the grime-style rapping of James Smith that makes this record so interesting. Stories of drunken parties and the latest trends could easily be dismissed as superficial and factory-produced to give the new generation exactly what they want. However, look a little deeper and a commentary on the lives of those at the cutting edge of the digital age, and at the teetering edge of society, can be found. Smith epitomizes the nu-rave culture, and opener "Get Smashed Gate Crash" highlights the party mentality felt by the 16 to 23 year olds of today. "DRINK! SMOKE! FUCK! FIGHT!" orders Smith on "Liquid Lives," another track devoted to the art of getting hammered, and it is those four words that fuel Hadouken!'s acceleration.

But, when it comes to it, is this what you really want to listen to? Whether or not you belong to the collection of "Wasted Youths" Hadouken! speak of, hearing tales of someone else's binge drinking can't have much of a lasting value. That lack of value is emphasized by the fact that the band's "Right Now" style is the sort that goes out of fashion in 5 minutes (and it already has, really - these particular songs were written last February, giving the scene plenty of time to move on and forget).

It can't be doubted that Music For An Accelerated Culture has an appeal, an appeal that will reach a large number of young people. Already with a large fanbase in the UK, it remains to be seen whether the band will make it big overseas, but it's not like the music itself is all bad. Tracks like the futuristic "Game Over" and scene analytical "That Boy That Girl" show that Hadouken! has the ability to channel their energy and catchiness into something listenable for more than one play.

Regardless of whether this record is anything more than a ride on the wave of a fad, Hadouken! have fulfilled their objective. The queues of teens outside clubs waiting to rave it up with James Smith and Co. will inevitably be long, and they'll have plenty of fun.

Recommended if You LikeDoes It Offend You, Yeah?; The Prodigy; Enter Shikari

myspace.com/hadoukenuk
This review is a user submitted review from Deadbolt01. You can see all of Deadbolt01's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10
04:44 AM on 01/04/09
Deadbolt01
soundcloud.com/dellauk
User Info.
I say this every time, but any feedback would be great
05:04 AM on 01/04/09
Maxwell
awefaeeeeeeef
User Info.
You know what i think man, i love this cd, but you were spot on with the review, not very much lasting ability.
12:17 PM on 01/04/09
lew_1987
The desperation's gone.
User Info.
Grindie!? Originally I thought that was a reference to grindcore/indie, but I guess it's grime/indie? Haha.

Even though I haven't heard this band, I can pretty much see where you're coming from when you talk about song subject matter and lasting value. Good review.
09:13 AM on 01/05/09
overdrive91
set if off and let it burn
User Info.
This cd is amazing. Them live was amazing.
10:21 AM on 01/05/09
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Good review, good ratings
01:04 PM on 01/05/09
Deadbolt01
soundcloud.com/dellauk
User Info.
Good review, good ratings
Cheeers :)
01:08 PM on 01/05/09
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
When did you discover them?

They were such a huge craze with the UK 'scene kids' a few years back, but now they seem to not be cool anymore
01:34 PM on 01/05/09
Deadbolt01
soundcloud.com/dellauk
User Info.
When did you discover them?

They were such a huge craze with the UK 'scene kids' a few years back, but now they seem to not be cool anymore
Yeah I heard about them a while ago, my friends were into them. Their style is reallyt forgettable I think.
04:59 PM on 05/11/10
eatbabiesyum
Registered Infant Consumer
User Info.
I have to disagree, but this was a well written review. i also have to realize im a big rap/rock fan, and a big electro junkie. so a combo of those two is heaven to me. so i think the lasting value must be different for different people, cuz i still listen to this album frequently :)

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos