AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Rachel Goodrich - 12.02.08

Rachel Goodrich - 12.02.08

Interviewed by
Rachel Goodrich - 12.02.08I would like to thank Rachel for agreeing to do this interview and Jeff Gluck for setting it up. To the readers: Don't forget to check out Rachel's music! It is fantastic and you will not be disappointed.

Who is Rachel Goodrich and how did she start writing songs?

Rachel Goodrich is all of 24, grew up into a musical family and has latched onto sound since the womb.

How did you decide that you wanted to be a musician "full time"?

I'm not quite sure. Music has always been my priority

Have you ever thought of releasing songs that you worked on when you were a teenager (if you haven't yet)?

I mean, sometimes I will bring them back up, fool around with them, give it a new groove. But for the most part that's a different part of my life. I'd like to think I've moved on since.

What comes first: the lyrics or the music? Or does it depend on the song?

It depends on the moment, the inspiration and whatever I may have access to.

I find it amazing that you can play so many instruments. How did you learn to play all of them and which is your favourite to play?

I love the guitar, but grew an enormous appreciation for the ukulele and other small instruments. I learned them through/with love and passion.

When did you play your first show and what was the experience like? Does it feel different going on stage now – after having done it so many times?

First time I played a show was in 1996, I performed an original with my sister at our elementary school. First show with a band was at Churchills pub in Miami, FL in 1999. It was exciting! I have now become more comfortable and appreciative. It’s a thrill every time.

What does it feel like to finally have an album coming out? I'm assuming this is your first one since I can't find any info on any other albums out there. Is it everything you hoped it would be?

I did make an EP called 'Homemade' about a year ago. There were 5 tracks on it, sometimes 6. Tinker Toys is the first full length and it is everything it was supposed to be. I am truly grateful for the friends who have helped me put together the record, for being there and creating beautiful vibes.

How would you describe your music – and Tinker Toys – to someone that has never heard your music?

Shake-a-billy! Definitely the upbeat runaround, twisty turvy tambourines and delicious drops of magic.

What would you say has influenced your music and songwriting the most?

My family and fiends, love, artists, adventures and old wood.

A lot of songs (Excuses Excuses, ABC, Dope Song) almost made me want to get up and dance when I first heard them. Do you ever dance to your own music? Also, do you enjoy writing such upbeat songs more than slower ones?

Yeah, man I've grooved! I enjoy the lighthearted swing.

Do you plan to play shows outside of Florida any time soon?

I have a show coming up in Los Angeles on December 10th at the Hotel Café.

Are there any musicians that you would love to feature in future albums or work with in the future?

People who play music because they love it.

The end of the year is approaching, and most albums have hit the shelves already. What would you say have been your top 5 favourite albums so far this year?

I haven’t really fallen in love with any recent stuff, but I have dug up some old albums reviving the inspiration:

Solomon Burke - Rock n Soul
Nina Simone - Sings the Blues
The Beach Boys - Friends
Dr. Dog - Easy Beat
Ethiopiques Vol. 4

You live in Florida and your vote is going to matter a lot in this upcoming election (as usual), so I just have to ask: Obama or McCain?

Love & Obamamamamama!

Thank you for digging the album! That’s super awesome :) I hope you can come and hang at a show soon.

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
11:47 AM on 12/27/08
dpetty21
User Info.
She seems pretty awesome. I've never listened to her before today but I really enjoy the music. Very fun stuff.
12:26 PM on 12/27/08
sevinw0rds
Polyrhythms!
User Info.
One of the gems of the scene down here...
02:43 PM on 12/27/08
SilenceBrokenTT
Here I am alive...
User Info.
Took you this long to get the interview up? Obv with her answer of if she has any shows outside of FL date this...

Regardless, I guess it was a nice interview. Emailed answers I'm sure, right?
04:05 PM on 12/27/08
Lueda Alia
User Info.
She seems pretty awesome. I've never listened to her before today but I really enjoy the music. Very fun stuff.
Her album is great. Definitely worth checking out.
One of the gems of the scene down here...
Yeah, she's awesome.
Took you this long to get the interview up? Obv with her answer of if she has any shows outside of FL date this...

Regardless, I guess it was a nice interview. Emailed answers I'm sure, right?
Yes, it took me with this long. December is a busy month due to exams and papers (plus all the Christmas stuff).

And yes, she emailed me the answers.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version