AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Lady GaGa - The Fame Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 1
Production 9.25
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Final Verdict: 73%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.7
Musicianship 6.85
Lyrics 3
Production 7.5
Creativity 5.4
Lasting Value 6.85
Reviewer Tilt 6.7
Average: 61%
Inside AP.net

Lady GaGa - The Fame

Reviewed by: live4music (12/26/08)
Lady GaGa - The Fame
Record Label: Interscope Records
Release Date: August 19, 2008 (Canada)

I've never been that big of a fan of pop music. I recently read Greg Gillis (aka Girl Talk) give his definition of pop: music made to appeal as many people as possible. That instantly irks me because it screams "doing it for the money." Although, there are plenty of pop artists who are undeniable meccas of talent: Michael Jackson, Justin Timberlake, and even the Beatles. In spite of this, there is still some pop music I highly enjoy; I think Justin Timberlake is a musical genius. Also, for all I know half the bands I listen to could be doing it for the money.Anyway, on to the review.

I kept reading about Christina Aguilera ripping her new "look" off someone called Lady Gaga. At first, I honestly thought Lady Gaga was some silly nickname that was given to a certain artist. Well, somehow I caught wind that this, Lady Gaga, would be performing on Ellen. After viewing, if I hadn't known better, I would have definitely thought that Lady Gaga was Christina Aguilera, not only visually, but also vocally. Although, unlike Aguilera, she doesn't try to show it off on the end of every lyric. Lady Gaga's album, The Fame, starts off with the single, "Let's Dance." It's a very catchy tune with an electro-beat that seems to be the new standard for pop hits. Akon's guest appearance on the track is a perfect fit for her voice and sound. During the lyric, "Can't find a drink, oh man," you can definitely see how her voice mirrors Aguilera's. Unfortunately, from the get-go it is clear that lyrics are by no means the forte of this album. If you give two shits about lyrics you will hate this album; you might even come up with some fun mocking catch phrases. Just listen to the track, "Poker Face." The song starts off with a great synth beat that sounds like the construction of Timbaland (complete with what sounds like a burly black man making incoherent vocals). The song quickly loses its appeal when you hear, "I'll get him hot/ show him what I got/ No, he can't read my poker face." I'm quite puzzled by the title track, "The Fame." It has a wonderfully awesome guitar-lick beat, but the lyrical content seems to be self-deprecating in a manner. In the song Gaga admits to being guilty of materialism, yet she chastises the public for doing the same. The cherry on top of awful lyricism is during, "LoveGame," where Gaga wants to "ride on your disco stick." Need I say more?

Simply put, this album is filled with amazing electronic/snyth beats that are catchy as hell and seem to be modern-day versions of the dance hits of the 90s (you know, the ones from Night at the Roxbury). On top of that, she has a beautiful voice and solid range. She's easily a better singer than Britney Spears and even Jessica Simpson. During her performance on Ellen, she was full of energy and dancing her ass off but she was actually singing live and it sounded great. Honestly, it was the best vocals I've heard from a pop singer who dances while performing. The downsides are some of the worst lyrics I've ever heard that couldn't even be marketed towards tweens. Another complaint is that the beats to the various songs are too similar. An album is supposed to sound like it goes together, but it's hard to even differentiate tracks throughout some of the album. Although, if you don't listen to lyrics and just wanna dance your ass off, you might be hooked.

Recommended if You LikeNight at the Roxbury Soundtrack; Christina Aguilera minus her annoying pitch tweaking; a synth version of Katy Perry

ladygaga.com

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 15.
12:55 AM on 01/06/09
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
this album rules
09:18 AM on 01/06/09
live4music
Digitally Bathing
User Info.
Seconded. It looks like I give it a lot of shit but it's definitely underappreciated
09:34 AM on 01/06/09
Viva Sonata
javadeer.tumblr.com
User Info.
That Just Dance song is OK. My sister listens to it a lot. The review is giving me reason to check it out in further detail, really well written.
01:04 PM on 01/06/09
ESundy36
GO FRIARS!
User Info.
I downloaded this for my girlfriend and actually found myself liking the album. I totally agree that the lyrics are absolutely awful but looking past them she does have a solid voice and I enjoy the songs.
08:49 PM on 01/06/09
newfoundmichael
@SirDaveyBoy
User Info.
I'm someone who puts a very high value on lyrics, so I don't know that this would be a guilty pleasure for me. That Just Dance song is catchy though.
07:38 AM on 01/07/09
mynameishell
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
to me, this album and this artist represent everything that's wrong with the world today.
i have lost about 90% of my respect for this website (with the word 'punk' in it's title) because it endorses such absolute trash.
the album is just like every single other pop release now days: shit.
go home, put on a joy division CD if you want to see what true deep music is like. or if you want to listen to actual punk music like this websites namesake, go home and pump the stooges till your parents ears bleed. maybe then you'll understand why songs and artists like this are ruining the music industry.
09:32 AM on 01/07/09
teenagetwilight
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
to me, this album and this artist represent everything that's wrong with the world today.
i have lost about 90% of my respect for this website (with the word 'punk' in it's title) because it endorses such absolute trash.
the album is just like every single other pop release now days: shit.
go home, put on a joy division CD if you want to see what true deep music is like. or if you want to listen to actual punk music like this websites namesake, go home and pump the stooges till your parents ears bleed. maybe then you'll understand why songs and artists like this are ruining the music industry.
O I THOUGHT DIS WUS absolute--->PUUUUNX<---
05:12 PM on 01/07/09
iheartmusic043
KKCO
User Info.
I totally agree. She has alot of potential but some of her lyrics are retarded and repetative. That's the only bad thing about her.
08:07 AM on 01/08/09
cereal4life
User Info.
I effin' severly dislike this album! I hear that song "Jus' Dance" song about 5 times every time I go into work.

When you say "even the Beatles" do you write that because they're almost undeniable pop gods or because it's debatable whether they're actually pop or not? If the former, I'd say that they're more of a pop mecca than JT and MJ put together.
08:08 AM on 01/08/09
cereal4life
User Info.
Mohmohmoh

P-p-p-pokerface, p-p-pokerface
02:55 PM on 01/08/09
live4music
Digitally Bathing
User Info.
I effin' severly dislike this album! I hear that song "Jus' Dance" song about 5 times every time I go into work.

When you say "even the Beatles" do you write that because they're almost undeniable pop gods or because it's debatable whether they're actually pop or not? If the former, I'd say that they're more of a pop mecca than JT and MJ put together.
Some people who don't know shit about the Beatles might not even know or consider them pop.
05:14 AM on 01/12/09
cereal4life
User Info.
Some people who don't know shit about the Beatles might not even know or consider them pop.
Ok.
07:08 PM on 11/17/09
liveloud4life
User Info.
Ok, from your review you could justify a 9.25 on vocals, though I'm not sure I agree. And lasting value - 7, I guess if you're into it. Production, of course; it is a pop record. But musicianship - 9? What musicianship? It was never mentioned and I'm fairly certain that if there even is any actual playing of instruments on this, that musicianship is entirely absent. Creativity - 8? You even said you thought it was Christina Aguilera. And it was a far cry from creative when she did it before.
11:12 AM on 12/16/09
live4music
Digitally Bathing
User Info.
Ok, from your review you could justify a 9.25 on vocals, though I'm not sure I agree. And lasting value - 7, I guess if you're into it. Production, of course; it is a pop record. But musicianship - 9? What musicianship? It was never mentioned and I'm fairly certain that if there even is any actual playing of instruments on this, that musicianship is entirely absent. Creativity - 8? You even said you thought it was Christina Aguilera. And it was a far cry from creative when she did it before.
haha I really angered you didn't I? What did you want me to put for musicianship? A zero? She's a solo artist, so by musicianship I took at as "defining their own sound." I think she made a record that is her own and a breath of fresh air. So I guess the rating is for her getting across exactly what she's trying to (which I think she did very well). To clarify, I think Christina was ripping her new look off Gaga, not vice-versa. Second, I meant vocally she is just as talented but isn't as vain as Christina (doesn't do the constant up and down pitch BS Xtina does).
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests