Password

Album Review

Enter Shikari - Take to the Skies Album Cover

Enter Shikari - Take to the Skies

Reviewed by
Enter Shikari - Take to the Skies
Record Label: Tiny Evil
Release Date: October 30, 2007
A few months ago I wrote a review for Take to the Skies, but as you can see, it never got posted. That is because my first attempt was complete shit. I had never done anything like reviewing an album, and it was bad to say the least. Anyway, Enter Shikari are a post-hardcore electronica band from St Albans, Hertfordshire in the UK and have come to the US.

Enter Shikari are not your typical post-hardcore band because of the added electrionic effects, and that is what Enter Shikari have going for them. Roughton "Rou" Reynolds is the master mind behind the electronics in Enter Shikari and has a good understanding of how to use it and make it sound good. He uses everything from drum fills to hand claps to make Take to the Skies a very catchy album with both the electronic effects and the vocals. The vocals aren't anything to brag about. Although the screams and growls are down right terrible the clean vocals are what makes up for them on Take to the Skies. The lyrics are what brings this album down - most of the time they don't make much sense. Although after making your ears bleed for forty minutes you may still find yourself humming along with the catchy parts of the album. For example, this line seems like it is in every song on the album: "And still we will be here, standing like statues." I'm not so sure why they're standing like statues. Maybe it's for one of their five interludes to be over with, because this album is loaded with them. Why couldn't they just have combined the interludes with some of the songs? Most of them are followed or follow a song that sounds like the interlude anyway. As for the rest of the band, it's nothing you haven't really heard before.

Although Enter Shikari seem like dull post-hardcore smothered with electronic effects, they do have some good songs. Enter Shikari can become quite creative on a few tracks. In the song "Sorry, You're Not a Winner" Rou Reynolds uses surprising electronics with placing hand claps in between guitar riffs. It happens every verse, so it begins to get old quickly. But it's a good attempt. The stand outs on the album are "Mothership" and "Anything Can Happen in the Next Half Hour" because Enter Shikari finally figure out how to combine the electronics with the rest of the band.

Enter Shikari are in the studio and hopes to release a new album by spring. So if you like typical post-hardcore drenched with electronics, Enter Shikari are the band for you. If you're smart, you'll stay away from it. Unless of course you're buying this album for your twelve-year-old brother for his birthday.

Recommended if You LikeDividing the Lines; Underoath with a cracked out keyboardist; Sky Eats Airplane

myspace.com/entershikari
This review is a user submitted review from Handraa. You can see all of Handraa's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 24
08:37 PM on 01/11/09
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
Nice riyl :)
09:40 PM on 01/11/09
infmoe
I'm Swimming Backwards
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Isn't this the shitty review you're talking about?
10:18 PM on 01/11/09
tipoftheiceberg
son of the silent age
User Info.
guy above me=dick

work on your voice a little more and you could be a good reviewer
02:49 AM on 01/12/09
xyz
User Info.
Their live performance is phenomenal, so much fun.
04:46 AM on 01/12/09
lew_1987
The desperation's gone.
User Info.
One of the first bands to be doing this... it's a shame that this album was a little disappointing.
10:26 AM on 01/12/09
Handraa
.-.-.-.-.
User Info.
guy above me=dick

work on your voice a little more and you could be a good reviewer
What do i need to do to get better? I'm just starting this stuff.
01:23 PM on 01/12/09
Handraa
.-.-.-.-.
User Info.
Isn't this the shitty review you're talking about?
Yes it was actually
03:15 PM on 01/12/09
more heart
Endure and survive
User Info.
it seems like the rating is a little low to me
10:43 PM on 01/13/09
infmoe
I'm Swimming Backwards
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Let me apologize for my last comment. It was borderline-out of line. I'm just shocked, regardless if you are new to this or not, that you would give this album a mere 60%. I think where you implied that the band doesn't know how to mix synthesizers with their other instruments was false. While I agree that it's brilliantly done 'Mothership' and 'Anything Can Happen In The Next Half Hour', I think in songs like 'Labyrinth' and 'Ok, Time For Plan B', the out of place insertion of synthesizers commits to the album's brilliance, in my opinion. Sometimes out of place just works... not even necessarily out of place but not over-produced. Leave it as raw as possible while making it ear worthy and no broken down.

I don't know if you're on the same page with what I just said or if you get me or not but I understand what I'm saying and that's what matters in the end. Anyways, nice try with your review, sincerely. I agree with someone's post above me... better use of words.
11:01 AM on 01/16/09
Handraa
.-.-.-.-.
User Info.
Let me apologize for my last comment. It was borderline-out of line. I'm just shocked, regardless if you are new to this or not, that you would give this album a mere 60%. I think where you implied that the band doesn't know how to mix synthesizers with their other instruments was false. While I agree that it's brilliantly done 'Mothership' and 'Anything Can Happen In The Next Half Hour', I think in songs like 'Labyrinth' and 'Ok, Time For Plan B', the out of place insertion of synthesizers commits to the album's brilliance, in my opinion. Sometimes out of place just works... not even necessarily out of place but not over-produced. Leave it as raw as possible while making it ear worthy and no broken down.

I don't know if you're on the same page with what I just said or if you get me or not but I understand what I'm saying and that's what matters in the end. Anyways, nice try with your review, sincerely. I agree with someone's post above me... better use of words.
Obviously we aren't on the same page, and sorry I didn't praise the album. I didn't like it, and you don't have to agree with my view on the album. You have your thoughts and I have mine. We all have different opinions and isn't this what this site is for?
11:02 AM on 01/16/09
Handraa
.-.-.-.-.
User Info.

And your apology is accepted.
11:48 PM on 01/20/09
infmoe
I'm Swimming Backwards
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
That's why I apologized, my man. And yes, you think the album wasn't too good and I think it was good enough. Agreed to disagree.
10:25 PM on 03/23/09
tezmacan
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
mate ur a wanker, why write a review on a band that you obviously dislike before the album just so you can give them shit
ps rou's screaming is phenomimal live, they have just attempted to make their recordings more radio friendly.
i believe this album is one of the best i have heard and the interludes add something different to the album.
also their lyrics are better than most metal crap or at least the same as so thats nothing special
10:29 PM on 03/23/09
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
mate ur a wanker, why write a review on a band that you obviously dislike before the album just so you can give them shit
ps rou's screaming is phenomimal live, they have just attempted to make their recordings more radio friendly.
i believe this album is one of the best i have heard and the interludes add something different to the album.
also their lyrics are better than most metal crap or at least the same as so thats nothing special
Funny. I know personally that he bought this album and listened to it for quite awhile, and liked it quite a bit more than quite a few of his friends (me being one of them).

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos