Password

Album Review

The Cambiata - The Cambiata Album Cover

The Cambiata - The Cambiata

Reviewed by
The Cambiata - The Cambiata
Record Label: None
Release Date: January 13, 2009
On January 13th, 2009 – my seventeenth birthday, and exactly a year since my love for Portland, Maine's The Cambiata began to blossom – The Cambiata released their highly-anticipated, self-titled second album, the second disc in less than year since the prior February's To Heal. The five songs on the EP were unthinkably good, but how would a full-length fare?

Most people who listened to To Heal will say that a few of the songs were far too long and wrapped up in what they had created ("Purple," "Roswell"), whereas I personally disagree. Those songs were meant to be as they stand. Taking note of this, the band, therefore, have presented eleven tracks, all of which run under the five minute mark with the exception of one. The disc takes on the difficult task of taking a song meant to linger and condensing it into the three-four minute zone, and it works – most of the time.

Songs such as "Changing Everything," the beautiful opener, and the harsh "For Zelda Fitzgerald" were given the right amount of what made tracks such as "Sidestepping" and "Cut You Losses" from the last disc so good for being so "short," so to speak. However, the key thing to remember is that lingering phrase "most of the time." There are times ("The Gold She Gives," "Machine Of God," "Alaska") where The Cambiata become a bit too self-conscious of their goal and desert some good tracks that just needed a little more development. This is not to say that they’re not on the right track – they are so close to capturing perfection, it’s not even funny.

In terms of sound, however, there are no complaints. The band remains solid, and the most notable improvement is in Chris Moulton’s vocals. While they were brutally beautiful, the vocals could get out of hand. Moulton does a great job not to get carried away and to back off when need be. Lyrically, they’ve improved as well – Moulton delivers one-liners with his own sense of subtlety, as heard in "Hell's Kitchen": "So if it’s me you aim to change/ You can fuck right off." He mumbles, as if reluctant, and laments, "This town will kill us all" on "Changing Everything." In "For Zelda Fitzgerald," the track most reminiscent of To Heal on the self-titled record, we hear such lyrics as, "Lord! I saw a pagan at the market/all proud and sorted out/Lord! I saw religion at the market/All brass and mouth-to-mouth!." Moulton screeches, hisses, and struggles to keep control. While it is a strong track, the vocals can be a bit too much.

While the orchestral appeal remains – violins, brass, and percussion – the band keep a sense of minimalism about them, merely coinciding with the added instruments rather than basking in them. The band is humbled by their presence, a warm and chilling backup.

Despite all this, it’s certainly not the "worst," so to speak, but it’s not their "greatest." The band needs to continue making ground towards finding a center in the technical aspect, and they will prosper. This is the best band in Maine, hands down. Show some love, AP. They deserve nothing less.

Key Tracks"Changing Everything"; "For Zelda Fitzgerald"; "Surgery"

The Cambiata IsChris Moulton - vocals
Miguel Barajas - guitar
Sean Morin - guitar, keyboard, vocals
Stan Dzengelewski - bass
Dan Capaldi - drums, percussion, vocals

Recommended if You LikeLydia with a bit more edge and anxiety; moody pop; The Cambiata's To Heal toned down

myspace.com/cambiata
This review is a user submitted review from Viva Sonata. You can see all of Viva Sonata's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
09:50 AM on 01/16/09
applesandcyanid
Trollin' Absolutepunk.
User Info.
I was at this band's first show years and years ago. I am stoked to see them on absolutepunk. It's an awesome review. Their style has changed but they still remain some of the most talented musicians that I have ever had the chance of sharing a local scene. Maine has a bleak and dull music scene but bands like The Cambiata, The Bay State and Sparks The Rescue are doing their best to put us on the map. This isn't my favorite release by The Cambiata and I'll always prefer their first release "Into The Night" but this is still a great album (so bummed I had to miss the CD release). Even my username is from the song Reign Of Apples by The Cambiata! Get into this band!

Shouts to Dan Capaldi and Chris Moulton especially, raging with those cats for years now. I wish this band the world.
02:21 PM on 01/16/09
Viva Sonata
gooberplex.tumblr.com
User Info.
I was at this band's first show years and years ago. I am stoked to see them on absolutepunk, even if it's a user review. Their style has changed but they still remain some of the most talented musicians that I have ever had the chance of sharing a local scene. Maine has a bleak and dull music scene but bands like The Cambiata, The Bay State and Sparks The Rescue are doing their best to put us on the map. This isn't my favorite release by The Cambiata and I'll always prefer their first release "Into The Night" but this is still a great album (so bummed I had to miss the CD release). Even my username is from the song Reign Of Apples by The Cambiata! Get into this band!

Shouts to Dan Capaldi and Chris Moulton especially, raging with those cats for years now. I wish this band the world.

right here, man. Hit me right there. lol

But yeah, it was my pleasure to write this. I've got a review for To Heal in the pipes.
10:40 PM on 01/16/09
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
I was at this band's first show years and years ago. I am stoked to see them on absolutepunk, even if it's a user review. Their style has changed but they still remain some of the most talented musicians that I have ever had the chance of sharing a local scene. Maine has a bleak and dull music scene but bands like The Cambiata, The Bay State and Sparks The Rescue are doing their best to put us on the map. This isn't my favorite release by The Cambiata and I'll always prefer their first release "Into The Night" but this is still a great album (so bummed I had to miss the CD release). Even my username is from the song Reign Of Apples by The Cambiata! Get into this band!

Even if it's a user review! Nice hidden shot. haha.
09:39 PM on 01/17/09
applesandcyanid
Trollin' Absolutepunk.
User Info.
I really outdid myself on the comment, sorry for ranting. I just get stoked to see Cambiata getting recognition from anyone on here.

I editted my old post for truth.
11:14 PM on 01/17/09
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Great job, I wish people would pay more attention on here. The Cambiata could easily be a favorite for tons of people. I also missed the CD release :/ and even worse I have yet to hear this which is killing me.
09:46 PM on 01/23/09
Ambien
User Info.
These guys are awesome and this album is exploding with style.
02:33 PM on 06/13/09
prettyinclear
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I saw this album on here, so i got it.

OHMYGOD!!!

My fave is "Machine of God" though.
12:37 AM on 06/19/09
WheresTheTalent
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Yes, this band is such a breath of fresh air!!! I have had the privilege of sharing the stage with this band 2 years ago. I have their first record, "Into The Night". Wow!, what a great sound! These guys are excellent musicians! I wish these guys nothing but smooth roads in the future!
A MUST HEAR!!!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version