AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

08:49 AM on 03/18/09 
User Info.
kearn1tm
l;ajdfkoeiwptn.zbmzn,.vnv m,ekdo
Male - 26 Years Old
i'm not insulting you at all my man, i'm just saying that they have three solid albums. the only ones i've listened to in that article is the kills, and i think they suck. no offense in any way, just they suck.

I'd be interested to see what the average Strokes listener thinks of The Muslims, Black Lips or King Khan and the Shrines, honestly.

The Strokes essentially took a very minimalist, low-fi sound and turned it into trite Arena Rock.
08:53 AM on 03/18/09 
User Info.
bard
No Avatar Selected
Fort Worth, TX
Male - 27 Years Old
oh well, i dig it.

what are The Muslims or King Khan and the Shrines like? comparisons? idk
08:55 AM on 03/18/09 
User Info.
kearn1tm
Male - 26 Years Old
oh well, i dig it.

what are The Muslims or King Khan and the Shrines like? comparisons? idk

http://www.myspace.com/kingkhantheshrines

http://www.myspace.com/thesoftpack

http://www.myspace.com/theblacklips
02:06 PM on 03/18/09 
User Info.
3mpire
Beads. BEES?! Beads! BEADS?!
Reading, UK
Male - 24 Years Old
wtf? FIOE is my favorite strokes album, and i love ITI and ROF

it shows that they aren't going to stay in the same vein for every album. really excited for their new stuff hopefully coming out soon.

also, albert hammonds solo stuff is pretty good too
I have to admit, Juicebox is great, as well as Ize.
07:57 PM on 03/18/09 
User Info.
Siren Silently
Godspeed You! Black Candidate
Los Angeles,...
Male - 22 Years Old
The Strokes essentially took a very minimalist, low-fi sound and turned it into trite Arena Rock. It's not that good at all, truthfully.

If we're talking about FIOE, then yes, you could say they turned more into "Arena Rock" (though it wasn't a minimalist, lo-fi sound really). But that comparison really isn't fair for their better songs, which I think, do live up to the hype (The Modern Age, Someday, Hard to Explain, a few others)... There aren't any bands in the 15 previous years before the Strokes that did the sound better, and you'd be hardpressed to find more than a handful that do the sound better afterwards.
07:59 PM on 03/18/09 
User Info.
Siren Silently
Los Angeles,...
Male - 22 Years Old

heh, I'm sure all of these bands have been widely influenced by the Strokes.

P.s I saw the Soft Pack a little over a month ago anyhow.
05:35 PM on 03/19/09 
User Info.
kearn1tm
Male - 26 Years Old
heh, I'm sure all of these bands have been widely influenced by the Strokes.

Not at all. They were influenced by Detroit Protopunk as well as Blues, Soul, roots music and R&B that predates it.

You're a fool if you believe the Strokes had anything to do with King Khan or Black Lips.
05:39 PM on 03/19/09 
User Info.
kearn1tm
Male - 26 Years Old
If we're talking about FIOE, then yes, you could say they turned more into "Arena Rock" (though it wasn't a minimalist, lo-fi sound really).

You don't know much about Garage Rock, I'm assuming.

Quote:
But that comparison really isn't fair for their better songs, which I think, do live up to the hype (The Modern Age, Someday, Hard to Explain, a few others)...

Their songs aren't that impressive in the slightest.

Quote:
There aren't any bands in the 15 previous years before the Strokes that did the sound better, and you'd be hardpressed to find more than a handful that do the sound better afterwards.

Mainstream Garage Rock Revivalist/Post-Punk/Alt Rock? The White Stripes and Black Keys do it much better, and even those two bands aren't necessarily great at the least.
06:38 PM on 03/19/09 
User Info.
Robototron
Registered Member
New Crack City
Female - 23 Years Old
Saying the Strokes just ripped off much better Garage bands is simplifying things way too much. On Room On Fire they also ripped off Television.
04:21 PM on 03/20/09 
User Info.
Siren Silently
Los Angeles,...
Male - 22 Years Old
You're a fool if you believe the Strokes had anything to do with King Khan or Black Lips.

Fair enough. I was referring to the Soft Pack mostly, my bad for the confusion.

Mainstream Garage Rock Revivalist/Post-Punk/Alt Rock? The White Stripes and Black Keys do it much better, and even those two bands aren't necessarily great at the least.

I'd disagree there. White Blood Cells (arguably the best of their albums) is probably on the same level as "Is This It"... although the rest of the White Stripes catalog is definitely better than the Strokes. As far as the Black Lips, I've only heard their two latest; Good Bad Not Evil was very mediocre and I've just started listening to 200 Million.
04:35 AM on 03/21/09 
User Info.
kearn1tm
Male - 26 Years Old
Fair enough. I was referring to the Soft Pack mostly, my bad for the confusion.

The Muslims were not at all influenced by The Strokes either. You don't know much about Garage Rock and the roots of the sound, I assume. Listen to a Strokes album and then listen to Amoeba. They hardly sound alike.

Quote:
As far as the Black Lips, I've only heard their two latest; Good Bad Not Evil was very mediocre and I've just started listening to 200 Million.

You think Good Bad Not Evil was mediocre, yet you love The Strokes. There's no accounting for taste, I suppose.
01:01 PM on 03/21/09 
User Info.
Siren Silently
Los Angeles,...
Male - 22 Years Old
I concede I don't know much about Garage Rock, I don't even listen to it; I'm not even going to argue about its roots. I'm just saying in the context of the bands I've listened to (which includes the White Stripes, the Soft Pack, the Black Lips...) I like the Strokes. I'll say, before you do, that I probably should listen to some 'real' garage rock (whatever that means) but as far as I'm concerned it's 2009 and no one has done the garagey sound with pop sensibilities as well as the Strokes have.

Compared to "Is This It" it is, I make no arguments for FIOE or Room on Fire. I've had the Black Lips name dropped more times than I care to remember, I was very disappointed upon listening to it.
01:17 PM on 03/21/09 
User Info.
E5CAP3 ART15T
ID
Male - 24 Years Old
The Strokes are noice. end of story
04:40 PM on 08/24/09 
User Info.
kaafka
http://insipidanimation.cc
Pittsfield, MA
Male - 25 Years Old
Who else is excited for the new album?

I'm pretty sure I am.
04:42 PM on 08/24/09 
User Info.
anthonydarko
Fight Milk
Troy, Missouri
Male - 26 Years Old
Here, let me jump into my time machine and go back to 2002, when I would actually give a damn.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version
Banners, Flyers, Widgets