AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Real You, The - Better Now Than Never Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 6.25
Production 9
Creativity 5.75
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 7.75
Final Verdict: 74%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.38
Musicianship 9.06
Lyrics 9.19
Production 9.63
Creativity 9.25
Lasting Value 9.31
Reviewer Tilt 9.44
Average: 93%
Inside AP.net

Real You, The - Better Now Than Never

Reviewed by: Chris Fallon (01/15/09)
The Real You - Better Now Than Never
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: December 16, 2008

Forget what you know about present-day pop-rock. There are no squeaky-voiced, tender-hearted boys with long bangs here. The Real You comes from the birthplace of Hendrix and Cobain, and while they certainly don't hold a candle to their landmark status, these four young fellas are determined to start where Acceptance left off, taking some cues from The Graduate & Relient K along the way.

With producer Jim Wirt (Jack's Mannequin) in tow, this five-track EP is similar to Andrew McMahon's pop sensibilities; joyous and vivid, full of life, without dragging anything out. "The Truth About Liars" shimmers with an upbeat piano rhythm (courtesy of Xander Burmer), as Ryan Striker's clean-cut pipes smoothly bounce along. Re-recorded fan favorite "Unwound" takes its inspiration from Jack's Mannequin, riding on a lavish chorus with emotional vocals and ethereal instrumentation from drummer Bob Palilunas & Daniel Dobyns. Think of it all as a 17-minute how-to lesson about where that delicate balance between pop music and utter cheesiness blend together.

Certainly on their way to winning over the hearts of any pop music fan, The Real You only fail to provide anything new, opting to take an old-school approach to the pop gambit. Yes, we know the formula, but it's all in the execution. Ignoring some of the over-the-top lyrics is difficult (check out the bridge on "Worse For The Wear"), but with a solid effort for their sophomore EP, things can only improve from here; the band is still young and working on their craft (they formed in 2007). You have to be sincerely thankful to listen to pop music nowadays and not hear gang vocals, faux-breakdowns and synths whipping by at every chance that neon-covered, keytar-wielding guy on the side of gets. Quick, upbeat and containing enough zip to anticipate more, The Real You are on the right track for some pop magic. "Before long, I'll be singing along," sings Striker on the final track -- here's hoping you do, too.

Recommended if You LikeJack's Mannequin; The Graduate; Relient K; a toned-down, less-cliche version of The Rocket Summer.
Choice Cuts"Wrong Side of My Head," "The Truth About Liars" and "Unwound"

Tracklisting1. The Truth About Liars
2. Unwound
3. Worse For the Wear
4. Wrong Side of My Head
5. What It Means To (Love)
Band MembersRyan Striker: vocals
Xander Burmer: piano
Daniel Dobyns: bass
Bob Palilunas: drums

Additional musicians:
Billy Libby: guitars

Online VitalsOfficial Myspace; Official Purevolume
PurchaseAmazon MP3

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 28
12:05 AM on 01/16/09
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
I'll have to catch this.
01:09 AM on 01/16/09
Ryzenfall
makin' good time
User Info.
I've kept up with these guys but i've never gotten to like them to where i'd buy a full album or anything. Sounds like this might do it.
02:27 AM on 01/16/09
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
Highly, highly recommended. I've been a fan since the beginning of '08, and they've come a long way even since then. I've now gotten the chance to work with them, and they're definitely going to go places.
02:57 AM on 01/16/09
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
Don't think of 74% as a bad score, people -- that's still an average grade, and personally, I see them growing as pop artists; they have the sound that appeals to people, and best thing is, it's all natural!
09:19 AM on 01/16/09
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
This is a solid EP.
10:20 AM on 01/16/09
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great review. Spot on.
10:34 AM on 01/16/09
trappedintime
Yea, you were right about me
User Info.
Will check this out.
11:28 AM on 01/16/09
sooperdoodey
User Info.
I just checked this band out. Not bad, not sure if I'd go with 'less cliche than the rocket summer though'.

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...ogID=450836994

"But I don't feel alive...
I felt the beating of your broken heart
And I am the one, I have your love
You are the one for me
"

Furrealz?
12:13 PM on 01/16/09
destinytony
User Info.
this so is great. Every song reassures me of the big things I think this band will do.
12:15 PM on 01/16/09
blebbio
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I really like this ep.
12:17 PM on 01/16/09
HometownHero
User Info.
Sounds like a winner. Il have to get it
12:50 PM on 01/16/09
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
I just checked this band out. Not bad, not sure if I'd go with 'less cliche than the rocket summer though'.

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...ogID=450836994

"But I don't feel alive...
I felt the beating of your broken heart
And I am the one, I have your love
You are the one for me
"

Furrealz?
I will agree with you there -- like I mentioned, some lyrics are hard to ignore, but only at moments. Rocket Summer tends to do that kind of thing in nearly every song.
02:31 PM on 01/16/09
1000shadesofred
Period Blood Sandwich
User Info.
i like how all the songs sound completely different... not exactly the best EP but def. a large step up from their LP release, i like the direction
04:01 PM on 01/16/09
geebee889
Registered Goober
User Info.
These guys are amazing, deifnitely deserve a listen. I've been a fan since early last year, and they never fail to deliver!
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums