Password

Album Review

Fall Out Boy - Folie a Deux Album Cover

Fall Out Boy - Folie a Deux

Reviewed by
Fall Out Boy - Folie á Deux
Record Label: Island Records
Release Date: December 16, 2008
Although both have seen considerable success throughout their careers, there are a few things which separate a band like Foo Fighters from a band like Fall Out Boy. Foo Fighters, for instance, consistently release material that is both refreshing and artistically stimulating while maintaining their identity and creating good rock 'n roll music. Fall Out Boy, on the other hand, have shown what seems to be an ailing tendency to “mature,” or, in other words, to experiment, arriving at a mediocre end in the form of Folie a Don’t....err...I mean, Folie á Deux.

“Disloyal Order of the Buffalos” opens melodiously with a soulful Patrick Stump singing with a melancholy ring atop an organ before kicking it in with muscular drums and rhythmic guitar strumming while Stump solidifies a verse in the background. With a model introduction and overall strength, especially with the gang chorus hit of “detox just to retox,” the song is a solid opener, but it's too slow to be a fast song and too fast to be a slow song, causing it to fall into an awkward mid-tempo category without offering enough hooks to be memorable. “I Don’t Care” picks up the energy with huge guitars in an urban atmosphere and a tight-yet-dark chorus hook. This tune plays second fiddle only to “America’s Suitehearts,” which features Freddie-Mercury-esque falsetto backing vocals controlling the groovy verses and massive guitars commanding the chorus. As expected, with both low and high parts being equally effective tools in conveying emotion, Stump steals the show with a vocal range better than nearly every vocalist on the scene. Indeed, “$20 Nosebleed” showcases the bluesy vocal style Stump has adopted, complete with horn arrangements. But Folie á Deux, unfortunately, isn’t defined by the hooks that have catapulted the band to success in the past. Instead, the band follows the utter mediocrity of the countless other acts that have shot for songs that would fit better in a dance club than at a rock concert (“Tiffany Blews,” “W.A.M.S.”).

For those tracks that don’t belong at your local 21 and under dance club, the majority never seem to get going, falling into the trap of simple blandness (“Coffee’s For Closers,” “27”). Tracks like “West Coast Smoker” and “The (Shipped) Gold Standard” offer inklings of the missing energy and pizzaz, but fail in comparison to the material in which the band has released in the past. The record’s token ballad, “What A Catch, Donnie,” boasts a duet with Elvis Costello and features lush instrumentation, advertising the band’s sometimes sarcastic tendencies, but it seems somewhat out of place.

With that said, the comparison game is one which is played by everyone, whether consciously or subconsciously. If this was Fall Out Boy’s debut record, the review would surely be different, slanted in the direction of a band that may show some promise amidst a market full of teenie-boppers. But as the band’s fourth studio album, the signs of Top-40, major label success seem to be shining through the cracks. This is no longer the band of From Under The Cork Tree, possibly one of the best pop-punk records ever made, and this is surely no longer the band of Take This To Your Grave. Instead, this is a band who have mistakenly dabbled in collaboration with artists and genres, producing a record of mediocrity that can be lent to the band’s experimentation. However, not all is lost. Indeed, Folie á Deux showcases exceedingly impressive vocals and melodies from Stump, who with every record, seems to raise the bar for himself. Vocal characteristics aside, Folie á Deux may reel in some new listeners with chart toppers like “I Don’t Care” and “America’s Suitehearts,” triggering memories of “Sugar, We’re Going Down,” but it may leave the rest to de-pledge their allegiance to the Fall Out Boy nation, whispering “Thanks for the memories.”

Recommended If You LikeAll-American Rejects; Every Avenue; Fall Out Boy's Infinity On High

www.myspace.com/falloutboy
This review is a user submitted review from topher465. You can see all of topher465's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 12 of 12
10:54 AM on 02/03/09
punchlinekid182
This wind changed me
User Info.
fall out boy please go away
08:10 PM on 02/03/09
Handraa
.-.-.-.-.
User Info.
fall out boy please go away
I agree, I'm tired of hearing about them.
11:52 AM on 02/04/09
MeganLovesCal
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
they definitely need to go away.
why do i always have to hear news about pete wentz that has nothing to do with their music? they are everywhere for absolutely no reason.
07:36 AM on 02/06/09
xica_sp4ever
Carrieee
User Info.
they definitely need to go away.
why do i always have to hear news about pete wentz that has nothing to do with their music? they are everywhere for absolutely no reason.
obviously they're 'everywhere' because they're good.
<3
03:00 PM on 02/06/09
BlackpoolLights
Music Connoisseur
User Info.
Fortunately you're wrong and this album kicks ass...
08:32 PM on 02/06/09
Zack Haughton
The song that goes like danananana
User Info.
Very very good album. Saying they haven't matured is just stupid.
Review is very meh... why start out with a random comparison to a totally different band? It only shows your fanboy-dom for the Foo Fighters. And Disloyal Order is a great song, saying its 'too mid-tempo' doesn't really fly with me as a con. The rest of the review isn't bad, though at some points it just seems like your just trying to use as many big words as you can even if they don't really pertain to what you're talking about.

And, btw, ESP&G was pretty much more of the same from the Foo Fighters, FOB matured and experimented a whole lot more than FF did on their last release. Not that there's anything wrong with that, really, but it kind of disproves your point.
06:53 PM on 02/11/09
TannerRHS
User Info.
Review is very meh... why start out with a random comparison to a totally different band? It only shows your fanboy-dom for the Foo Fighters. And Disloyal Order is a great song, saying its 'too mid-tempo' doesn't really fly with me as a con.

I agree, there is a completley different tone in Folie A Deux when compared to Infinity On High and From Under the Cork Tree and Foo Fighters are nothing like them. Also, who cares what tempo Disloyal Order is if its a cool song? Many of the reasons I keep coming back to a band is because they have the same style of music with each album. They don't have to "mature" to keep me interested. If I want different music I'll go find a new band. Plus. what's up with saying What A Catch Donnie dosen't fit. In Headfirst Slide into Coopertown on a Bad Bet they totally prelude What A Catch and its an awesome effect. I had listened to What A Catch awhile before the album came out and when I heard Headfirst Slide I was like that is so cool! BTW 20 Dollar Nosebleed is the best song ever, what's better than a duet between Patrick Stump and Brendan Urie? Folie A Deux and FOB forever!
10:07 AM on 02/17/09
Shorty1227
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
After listening to this album, I find myself reaching for their older albums.
05:59 AM on 02/18/09
topher465
every shining time you arrive
User Info.
Review is very meh... why start out with a random comparison to a totally different band? It only shows your fanboy-dom for the Foo Fighters. And Disloyal Order is a great song, saying its 'too mid-tempo' doesn't really fly with me as a con. The rest of the review isn't bad, though at some points it just seems like your just trying to use as many big words as you can even if they don't really pertain to what you're talking about.

And, btw, ESP&G was pretty much more of the same from the Foo Fighters, FOB matured and experimented a whole lot more than FF did on their last release. Not that there's anything wrong with that, really, but it kind of disproves your point.
I think you totally missed the point of my review. They have matured and experimented, but in my opinion, its just not that good. "Fall Out Boy, on the other hand, have shown what seems to be an ailing tendency to “mature,” or, in other words, to experiment, arriving at a mediocre end..."

I'm not particularly a huge Foo Fighters fan either. I just picked them because they've been around a while, a lot of people like them, and most of their albums have been well-received.
09:10 AM on 02/18/09
Mangle
Communist
User Info.
Trendy fodder for teenagers. This is some of the most immature and half-baked music ever made. Everyone needs to grow up and realize their age. If you are over 21, you should no longer find this music engaging.
11:52 AM on 07/02/09
rtoyou
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This is no longer the band of From Under The Cork Tree, possibly one of the best pop-punk records ever made, and this is surely no longer the band of Take This To Your Grave.

I agree 100%! I miss the From Under The Cork Tree Days </3
Good review!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests