AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8.75
Production 9.75
Creativity 10
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 9.75
Final Verdict: 93%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion

Reviewed by: psinger2 (02/08/09)
Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion
Record Label: Domino
Release Date: January 20, 2009

Animal Collective's newest release Merriweather Post Pavilion has received rave reviews since leaking onto the internet Christmas day. Although I've never been a huge fan of Animal Collective, I had listened to their 2007 release Strawberry Jam, which I did enjoy. Since then, I've listened to their other solid efforts, including Sung Tongs and Feels. After listening to their newest record, which band member Noah Lennox, aka Panda Bear, dubbed "their best studio effort to date," I couldn't agree more.

Merriweather Post Pavilion starts out with "In The Flowers," a slow burning build up track with noisy synthesizer reverbs that pound your eardrums to death (in the best way possible). The excitement starts almost immediately, when the first track fades into the band's single "My Girls", which is the best song on the entire album. But unlike some albums that fade out after one or two good tracks, leaving the rest as filler, Merriweather Post Pavilion keeps going strong. Panda Bear's souring vocals on "My Girls" blend perfectly with Avey Tare's in order to create blends of melodies and beats that float higher than you can imagine. The combination of the two vocalists really creates something special on this album, something they haven't necessarily done as much on past albums. Other key tracks include "Summertime Clothes" and "No More Runnin'". The madness doesn't stop anywhere throughout the entire album. The ridiculously catchy "Lion In A Coma" and closing track "Brothersport" bring up the tail end of the album and bring all the tracks together to complete Animal Collective's near-perfect project.

This is one of the best albums I've heard in a long time. The group's blend of great vocals, catchy hooks and synthesizers make this one of the best albums we'll hear all year. The creativity is through the roof, and at the high points of Merriweather Post Pavilion, it really captures the mind of the listener. The outstretched arms of Merriweather Post Pavilion take hold of you and take your soul on a joyride. This album has the ability to attract new listeners while still remaining true to their original fanbase.

Recommended If You LikePanda Bear - Person Pitch, Animal Collective, The Beach Boys, Creativity, Believing the Hype

http://www.myspace.com/animalcollectivetheband

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3.
10:33 AM on 02/18/09
LongDistanceDrunk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
If you like the album so much why give it a 3%?
12:23 PM on 02/18/09
psinger2
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
If you like the album so much why give it a 3%?
accident. i changed it though
Options
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests