AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

VersaEmerge - 02.09.09

Interviewed by
VersaEmerge - 02.09.09VersaEmerge's new self-titled EP is available now.

----

Please state your name and role in the band.

Hey I'm Anthony and I am the drummer.

Why decide to sign to Fueled By Ramen instead of staying unsigned? Do you think it's the smarter decision to sign with a label as opposed to doing everything yourself?

You can ultimately spread your music to way more people around the world with a label rather than doing it by yourself. We love Fueled By Ramen and everything they do and are doing for us so why not?

What is it like being the oddball on your label's roster? Are you worried about your music not catching as fast as some of your labelmates?

We don't think we really sound like anyone so we knew we might be an oddball on any label. It is a good thing to be the oddball, makes you more noticeable. Why be like everyone else?

How do you feel about the comparisons to Paramore? Do you think that there are some similarities with their music and yours or do you think it's unfair that the majority of female-fronted bands get labeled as Paramore rip-offs?

We don't let it bother us at all. Everyone thinks some band sounds like another band. It's bound to happen. With the recent success of the amazing Paramore we knew no matter what we did with our music we would get compared to Paramore. We think if we sound like anyone it might be the Cardigans *laughs*

Why did you decide to re-record "Clocks" for the new EP instead of one of the other songs from Perceptions?

We just love that song. It was our favorite on the EP. We really wanted more people to hear it and felt it was the "unappreciated song" on the Perceptions.

Are you planning on shooting a music video for a song from the EP? If not, what song would you've liked to see a video for and what would the concept be?

We are! We just went over a treatment yesterday in the Fueled By Ramen building. We can not wait.

I noticed that you guys did an acoustic version of "The Black Static Screen" with Sierra on vocals. Is there any chance that material from Cities Built on Sand will make it to the full-length?

No, probably not. A lot people wanted to hear Sierra do a song on Cities Built on Sand so we gave it to them.

How was it working with James Paul Wisner? Was he the reason for the "theatrical" feel that the EP had?

It was awesome. He didn't write anything. He just recorded for us. Blake is the reason behind the theatrical feel on the CD. James Paul Wisner is freaking amazing what he does. A true professional.

Is the full-length going to be in a similar direction as the EP as far as production and programming go?

For sure. More orchestral stuff probably. Perceptions was kind of "thrown together" in a sense. We went to a lot of different producers for it. We didn't have a lot of time to write it either. This new new one we didn't have a lot of time to write either but we feel this is VersaEmerge.

In a few songs from the EP, Blake is doing back-up vocals. Will this be done more often for the album?

Heck yeah. He does vocal training with sierra twice a week.

What was it like having Sierra contribute vocals to A Day to Remember's new album?

She was so stoked. We're friend with those dudes so it was a great idea. They're awesome.

When are you expecting the new album to drop?

The LP? End of this year.

After your tour with Craig Owens and Ace Enders, what are your plans afterward as far as touring goes? Anything overseas?

EUROPE! Give it a name introduction tour and festivals. Going to be amazing. Summer is in the works.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 27
04:24 PM on 02/09/09
pretty.over.it.
User Info.
sweeeet. lp & more of blake singing
05:46 PM on 02/09/09
more heart
Regular-Sized Rudy
User Info.
Quote:
We're friend with those dudes so it was a great idea

*friends

Good review though, excited for the full-length.
08:25 AM on 02/10/09
SomedayTheFire
when I die there'll be no trumpets
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Good to hear there will be more vocals from Blake.
02:20 PM on 02/10/09
trappedintime
Yea, you were right about me
User Info.
I can't wait to see how the music video turns out like.
09:47 PM on 02/10/09
cuzimlefthanded
Registered Member
User Info.
*friends

Good review though, excited for the full-length.
*interview

haha
09:44 AM on 02/11/09
_><_
Registered Member
User Info.
More orchestral stuff ? No thanks.
05:59 PM on 02/11/09
more heart
Regular-Sized Rudy
User Info.
It's meant for grammatical mistakes though that was a mistake
06:24 AM on 02/12/09
killerswells
coupe de gracie mang
User Info.
Good stuff, I really liked the acoustic version of black static screen. Anyone know if they did more acoustic stuff??
Also, they are from florida too? hence the ADTR reference...
01:50 PM on 02/12/09
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
i was kind of annoyed when i heard the rumor that wisner wrote some of the ep for them but i'm glad to see that that wasn't true
01:51 PM on 02/12/09
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
Good stuff, I really liked the acoustic version of black static screen. Anyone know if they did more acoustic stuff??
Also, they are from florida too? hence the ADTR reference...

there is an acoustic video of The Authors on their youtube page that's pretty good and they had an acoustic version of In Pursuing Design on purevolume
01:55 PM on 02/12/09
sargentlgfuad
Glass boy
User Info.
no questions about Pizzle?
ha.
02:06 PM on 02/12/09
TachyonEvan
Batman, for example, and Magellan.
User Info.
Thank you thank you thank you for this review.
02:08 PM on 02/12/09
andrewshungry
Gillyyyyyyy
User Info.
i really hope they tour with a day to remember.
02:18 PM on 02/12/09
kigginsthisprov
themichaelkiggins.tumblr. com
User Info.
Ahha, I see both my questions on there :D Nice to see them answered.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos