Album Review

Lanterns. - Apocalypse Youth Album Cover

Lanterns. - Apocalypse Youth

Reviewed by
Lanterns. - Apocalypse Youth
Record Label: Self-released
Release Date: July 19, 2008

Who:
San Diego, California based quartet who prefer their pop music drenched in distortion and feedback rather than covered in a glossy sheen.

How Is It?
From the opening notes of “Midnight Psalms (Alright!), Apocalypse Youth’s opener, I knew that Lanterns. were going to be a band I just couldn’t help but love. The songs that comprise Apocalypse Youth are absolutely bursting with energy, making them the perfect antidote for the doldrums of winter. “Midnight Psalms (Alright!) is filled with buzzing guitars, blistering drums, and a handclap section that is sure to get your head nodding and feet tapping. After only a few short listens I found myself singing along with the group chant at the end, and I am willing to be most other people will too upon hearing the album. “Creation Myth” is easily one of the best songs on this album, as its simple yet catchy as hell chorus fits almost perfectly with Lanterns. energetic brand of indie rock. My only complaint with Apocalypse Youth was “Electric Warrior Kisses” because it stood out like a sore thumb and failed to build on the momentum of the other songs. Apocalypse Youth is not breaking new ground in the indie rock genre, but that did not stop me from constantly replaying this EP and rocking out and singing along without shame.

RIYLSonic Youth, Les Savy Fav, Superchunk

ListenMyspace
This review is a user submitted review from Rich Duncan. You can see all of Rich Duncan's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
08:25 AM on 02/13/09
ddb43
User Info.
Good stuff...review and band.
10:31 AM on 02/13/09
trappedintime
Yea, you were right about me
User Info.
Never heard of them. I'll give them a listen on their myspace after school.
04:18 PM on 02/13/09
atainder
freaks r revolutionaries r freaks
User Info.
Amazing band.

They're the future, don't you know.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles