Password
This Thread is Closed.

03:18 PM on 03/20/13 
User Info.
RonStoppable
yeezy season approachin
Detroit, MI
Male - 22 Years Old
I generally prefer shows go out on their own terms, before kind of gradually dipping into diminishing returns. It's happened before with too many shows I like for me to want to have Parks & Rec for another four or five seasons if it means the show doesn't mean as much to me anymore. Challenges for the characters are part of what make shows interesting and fulfilling to me, and if the characters get too complacent they run in danger of losing the essence of why I came to care about them in the first place.

That said, some shows handle long lifespans really well and there's certainly the talent involved with Parks & Rec to potentially manage it. I know Mike Schur and Amy Poehler are both super influenced by Cheers, which ran for 11 seasons and handled it as best as might be possible.

And I certainly wouldn't begrudge anyone for whom challenges and meaningful plot progression don't matter as much, who just want to laugh and see characters they like. That's fair, just not what I look for.
03:26 PM on 03/20/13 
User Info.
Whalejaw
Hi Mr. Meeseeks! I'm Mr. Meeseeks!
Dayton, OH
Male - 28 Years Old
I feel like they purposely wrapped up the conflicts this year to give a happy ending since the show looked like it was in trouble last year. With most NBC shows on the chopping block now, we know P&R is safe so they have the chance to shake things up next season.
04:20 PM on 03/20/13 
User Info.
Fool
Chicago
Male
If they go for say 11 seasons I want it to end with Leslie being Mayor. Nothing else will be acceptable.
04:21 PM on 03/20/13 
User Info.
troubledbyinsects
~
westfield, ma
Male - 20 Years Old
*president
04:48 PM on 03/20/13 
User Info.
majinsharingan
Erase All Pictures of Ron
Tallahassee, Florida
Male - 20 Years Old
They should just turn the 8th season into an actual documentary and have Amy Phoeler run for president.
04:53 PM on 03/20/13 
User Info.
Matt Chylak
contextblues.wordpress.co m
Philadelphia, PA
Male
I generally prefer shows go out on their own terms, before kind of gradually dipping into diminishing returns. It's happened before with too many shows I like for me to want to have Parks & Rec for another four or five seasons if it means the show doesn't mean as much to me anymore. Challenges for the characters are part of what make shows interesting and fulfilling to me, and if the characters get too complacent they run in danger of losing the essence of why I came to care about them in the first place.

That said, some shows handle long lifespans really well and there's certainly the talent involved with Parks & Rec to potentially manage it. I know Mike Schur and Amy Poehler are both super influenced by Cheers, which ran for 11 seasons and handled it as best as might be possible.

And I certainly wouldn't begrudge anyone for whom challenges and meaningful plot progression don't matter as much, who just want to laugh and see characters they like. That's fair, just not what I look for.

My general rule of thumb is that dramas should tell a focused, concise story and comedies should go on for as long as they are able to make me laugh a couple times an episode. If Breaking Bad was stretched out for eight seasons I'd (probably) be pissed off (or at least mildly annoyed). On the other hand, I don't mind the overstay of a show like How I Met Your Mother, which has clearly been in decline for a long time.

There's so much bad TV out there, I have no problem with a show that I enjoy delivering laughs on a consistent basis...especially one as warm-hearted as Parks and Rec. It's perspective and general niceness towards all its characters is really unique among shows that I watch.
07:02 PM on 03/20/13 
User Info.
morgantayler
We are all Tatiana Maslany.
Gainesville, FL
Female - 20 Years Old
They should just turn the 8th season into an actual documentary and have Amy Phoeler run for president.
That would be the best thing ever.
07:38 PM on 03/20/13 
User Info.
Ryan Dennehy
Staff Member
Leslie running for President would be this show jumping the shark.
08:52 PM on 03/20/13 
User Info.
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
Gainesville, FL
Male - 25 Years Old
That would be a bad story choice.
08:52 PM on 03/20/13 
User Info.
ImTheSheriff
///
Male - 25 Years Old
hopefully we get 22 episodes next season and i'd be fine if that was the last season. but if they can continue and still be funny and still have that heart that i'd be perfectly fine with 2-3 more seasons.
10:52 PM on 03/20/13 
User Info.
cshadows2887
Boston, MA
Male - 27 Years Old
Verified
I can't believe people find reasons to complain about a show this good...
12:11 AM on 03/21/13 
User Info.
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
Southern California
Male - 26 Years Old
I can't believe people find reasons to complain about a show this good...
Entertainment Forum: Where nothing good exists
12:40 AM on 03/21/13 
User Info.
Whalejaw
Hi Mr. Meeseeks! I'm Mr. Meeseeks!
Dayton, OH
Male - 28 Years Old
Entertainment Forum: Where nothing good exists
Nobody ever says anything bad about AD or The Wire!
12:44 AM on 03/21/13 
User Info.
vivatoto56
EB was left out
Billings, MT
Male - 23 Years Old

Why would they?
12:45 AM on 03/21/13 
User Info.
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
Southern California
Male - 26 Years Old
I've seen more than a few negative AD posts in that thread

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version