AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
XO - Some Day EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 7
Production 8
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 7.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 79%
Member Ratings
Vocals 10
Musicianship 10
Lyrics 9.75
Production 9.5
Creativity 10
Lasting Value 10
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 99%
Inside AP.net

XO - Some Day EP

Reviewed by: drivethru715 (02/22/09)
Some Day - EP - XO
Record Label: Jackie Darling
Release Date: February 10, 2009

Every once in awhile I find myself purchasing a whole CD based mainly off of just one song. These usually turn out bad for me as the band pushes out a great single but falls apart on the rest of the tracks. Anytime anyone from Say Anything records anything, anywhere, I am going to make time to listen. I gave XO's single a listen and bought their EP. No regrets here. Jeff and Jake Turner craft a surprisingly good album that deserves your attention.

Some Day starts out innocently enough with "High School". Jeff and Jake really stress vocal inflection throughout the majority of the tracks and it really sounds great, but it's not really used very well here. The track just isn't anything special and personally, I don't think it does a good job of preparing the listener for the remainder of the CD. However, it picks up right afterwards with "Blizzard (New York)". While all the songs here are light and relatively easy going, "Blizzard (New York)" has the most energy and is definitely the heaviest track on the EP.

"Love" is an easily forgettable track that holds lackluster lyrics against a somewhat heartfelt violin driven rhythm. This is the low point of the CD for me. Thankfully the last three songs are excellently put together and XO really flexes their talent here.

The last half of the CD begins with "My Beautiful Girl (Tokyo)". It's my favorite song on the CD and the lyrics are infectious enough to pick up and sing along after just one listen. The techno-esque rhythm adds variety to the EP and locks in a good foot tapping. "Wait For You (Los Angeles)" starts off slow and waits to pick up slightly at the end. It's not something that stands out and begs for attention but is enjoyable nonetheless. Finally, the CD closes with the title track, "Some Day". Jeff and Jake croon through the song while the instruments tag along, almost lazily. I really like this song at the end of the EP. It feels like taking a rest after a long car ride in the summer. I'm sure a lot of people are going to get this feeling after the song.

XO roped me in with their single and, unknowingly, I picked up a great album that you really need to hear. After hearing just Jeff and Jake sing, I am praying that they are going to be more prominent in the upcoming Say Anything album because I don't think I'm going to be able to wait long enough for XO to put out a full length.

Recommended If You LikeSay Anything, The transition from Winter to Spring, Two Tongues, Ace Enders, Person L

http://www.myspace.com/xotheband

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13
09:41 AM on 02/27/09
bradsonemanband
I make music.
User Info.
i like this cd a lot
10:29 AM on 02/27/09
Here It Goes
Registered Member
User Info.
I was not impressed with this at all, specifically from a production aspect of things. Being from a fairly well known band, couldn't these two come up with some serious studio time? Because it sounds like it was recorded in a cellar. Their voices are not terrible, but nothing special, and frankly, I found most of these songs really, really blah.
12:55 PM on 02/27/09
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
I was not impressed with this at all, specifically from a production aspect of things. Being from a fairly well known band, couldn't these two come up with some serious studio time? Because it sounds like it was recorded in a cellar. Their voices are not terrible, but nothing special, and frankly, I found most of these songs really, really blah.
And that pretty much sums it up.
02:20 PM on 02/27/09
Brett3
User Info.
Good EP. Great review.
06:15 PM on 02/27/09
The Boat
I've made a huge mistake
User Info.
I was actually really surprised with how much i enjoyed this cd. I think i remember hearing a demo on their myspace ages ago, and it wasnt anything special, and while i don't think ill be listening to this album for months on end, It's just really nice and enjoyable.
08:29 PM on 02/28/09
NateFoundGlory
Why do you stay till you see blood?
User Info.
I'm interested to see what this one brings...I think I may buy it,
11:16 AM on 03/02/09
dingaling
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I LOVE this CD but I love the band! They have certainly paid their dues in the music world! ALL of the musicians of Say Anything are capable of making their own amazing music.. that is why they are so fantastic as a live band. Most of them are capable of playing the drums and with this talent comes an unbelievable ability for timing. I am always impressed with their ability to recreate their music live on stage! Oh and to the one that says he/she feels XO need more "production" that is what makes the original Beatles recordings so loved... the "real" sound of the instruments including the voices...just a little something to consider.
04:34 PM on 03/02/09
beth danger
It's a bird! It walked on my pillow
User Info.
"I am praying that they are going to be more prominent in the upcoming Say Anything album because I don't think I'm going to be able to wait long enough for XO to put out a full length"

I could not disagree with this statement more. I listen to Say Anything for Max Bemis. The rest of the band could quit, and I'd hardly notice. IDOTG drove me crazy with all the guest vocals. These kids are talented, for sure, but I'd rather hear them in XO and let Bemis do all the work when it comes to Say Anything.

Good review though
04:31 AM on 03/17/09
Metal Now
Talking about the second and third
User Info.
Really enjoyed this EP, a full-length could go either way though.
06:11 PM on 03/30/09
LuckyBear
User Info.
And that pretty much sums it up.
YOUR DUMB! This is the best EP put out since the Recover EP!
06:44 AM on 04/06/09
dingaling
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I love it too!!!!! There are so many people out there that love a band for only the singer. Max is an amazing singer and songwriter BUT the sound could not be reproduced live without the entire band! These guys are a band! They have amazing musical talent and are alll amazing musicians! Just ask MAX!
10:58 AM on 12/19/12
Anthony Sorendino
Don't you dare ever give up...
User Info.
Still spin this on the reg.

Grew on me SO much. Really exceptional work.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums