AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: I Am The Avalanche - 10.04.05

I Am The Avalanche - 10.04.05

Interviewed by
I Am The Avalanche - 10.04.05First off, I just wanted to thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to sit down and talk with absolutepunk and answer a few questions.

Thank you for having me.

So, the name “I am the avalanche”, any significance behind it?

Its what I was when I started writing for the record. very volatile and kinda filled to the brim and ready to spill. I wrote it as a lyric, then saw it on paper and adapted it as the name.

Did you feel the writing process of this album was different from any other albums you have done with your past bands?

Yes this was a bit different. With the movielife me and Brandon would write together . sometimes even singing him melodies and him writing around it. Most times him writing a guitar part and creating it form there. I wrote about a bunch of songs on my own in the beginning for I am the avalanche. I was alone and I didn’t put the band together yet. It gave me confidence to do this band. I was stoked that I was writing songs the way I wanted them to be.

Its not that common to have 3 guitarist, but I saw that AITA does. Was there any certain reason you decided to go with 3 instead of the usual 1 or 2?

Yes. Certain songs that warrant it ,get it. There are others that I sing on stage with just the mic and do the whole frontman thing. Which is something I love to do. 3 different tones of 3 different guitars slamming into a chorus if done the right way is punishing.

Did you come across any writers block while writing this album or did it all just kind of flow together?

Maybe a few weeks here and there towards the end of the writing process. But I think that’s normal. Some shit kicked in while I was in the studio in seattle. I changed most of the words to ‘this is dungeon music’ at the last second. Im way happier with it now.

Is it true that this album is coming out the same day that The Movielife broke up?

I thought we broke up on the 28th…I dunno maybe im wrong. If it is ,its very strange and cosmic. Because the first movielife show was def on sept 27th 1997. spooooooooooky! My birthdays right around there too. I have noticed this strange force around September.

How does it make you feel when people bring up The Movielife all the time?

Would I prefer to not talk about it all the time? Yes. Do I understand why it is so frequently talked about ? yes of course. The movielife meant as much to me as it did to lots of people. Which is wonderful. So flattering. That same spirit and live energy is still here with the avalanche.. Im still here. Get with it.

What are some of your favorite tracks on the album and why?

This is dungeon music. I love when it kicks in with the 3 guitar assault. Haha. And I think bridge is sweet. Symphony, cuz it makes me feel warm to sing about my friends. Honestly there is not one song on the album that I don’t absolutely love. And I could never say that before.

Can we hope to see a video made for any of the songs of the album?

Maybe dead and gone?? We are seeing whats up.

Drive-thru records is the label that you are signed to. How has your experience been with this label since you first started working with them?

Pretty sweet. When we started with them,in 2000 with movielife , we had just wrecked our van and trailer and gear and bones , in a van wreck in s. Dakota. They hooked us up and put us back on our feet. This band has seen only good things thus far. Drive thru is behind our record 100% . they love it. That’s half the battle.

When growing up, did you play a big part of the local music scene?

I wasn’t playing music back then. All my friends were though. I started going to shows when I was 12 years old. And when I grew up into high school it was a seriously tight knit community. This was when silent majority was at their peak, mind over matter was killing it. Glassjaw was just starting to really make an impact on l.i. I miss those days and lot of those people.

Do you have any hidden talents?

I might have some I dunno. I can clap my hand with one hand. And no , not the ali g way.

What is one thing about you that a lot of people don’t know?

The tattoos on my thighs. Some have seen um. One in particular. Its pretty funny I think.

If you weren’t in a band right now, what do you think that you would be doing?

Id prolly be living in England with my lady.

Who were some big musical influences growing up, musically or personally?

My dad and my two brothers played a big part getting me into rock music. Queen, the rascals, the band, van Morrison when I was younger. When I started buying my own records, it was de la soul, minor threat, mr bungle, black flag. This was all as a young lad.

Are there any big tour plans set for you guys for the coming months?

We are currently on tour with bayside, june and the forecast which has been such a good time. Really good people, great bands, good times. After this we go on a quick headline run to the west coast . we have been lucky enough to get on tours, but the unlucky part is that we haven’t really been taken on a west coast tour. So we are shooting out there the day after this ends. Check our site for dates. Then we do 2 weeks with honorary title and a week with piebald and hot rod. Then we are going to headline in the u.k. in December.

How do you feel about touring all the time and always being away from home?

I love playing shows. I hate not being around my family and friends. Missing holidays , weddings, birthdays, births, all that stuff. Im missing from all the pictures. But, this is what im meant to do , its what I love to do, and I have the support from them. And from the people who love our band. So the goods outweigh the bads.

What are some tour/show memories that really stick out to you playing in bands the last few years?

The three warped tour dates we did this summer were so awesome. The cmj show was one of our best. On this tour , I was introduced and welcomed into the community of the “queenz olympics” by the bayside guys. Check our site journal for pictures.

Well, that’s about all the questions I have for you. Is there anything you would like to say or any shout outs you would like to give out?

Yes . thanks for taking the time. It means a lot to us. Thanks to all that support us. Thanks to head automatica, nightmare of you, the fury, hipv, Halifax, gym class heroes, whole wheat bread, finch, rx bandits, bayside, june,the forecast and everyone else we will be touring with .this has been a great year and its not over. One love. vinnie

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests