Password

Album Review

Years of Rice and Salt - Service Bell EP Album Cover

Years of Rice and Salt - Service Bell EP

Reviewed by
Years of Rice and Salt - Service Bell EP
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: January 31, 2009
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Who?

Yep, another masturbatory review about an English band. Years of Rice and Salt are a mostly instrumental group that shows their love of folk by including the varied string arrangements of Anthony Coyne. It sounds strange, which is probably the point, but I would be remiss if I didn’t call Service Bell utterly beautiful.

How Is It?

I’ll say it again: beautiful. Four songs totaling 32 minutes of music is quite the bargain, especially when it’s available free of charge. Everything you love about post-rock is here, except it's augmented by mesmerizing voices, reverb-like-whoa and just enough toe-tapping violin. Album standout “Splendid Isolation” initially fools by implanting a minutes-long buildup - 8 minutes is a lot of time to fill! - but once the melodic guitars of George Taylor enter, it’s like another lovely, accessible pop song. Then the band lays the drama and drums on thick for another rousing loud-soft-loud climax. However, buried in the fuzzy haze of songs like “Plankton” and “(Rearranging) Deckchairs” is that folk influence shining bright like a full bottle of whiskey after a shitty day. Sure, Service Bell is 90% post-rock and 10% folk, but at least it’s something. Years of Rice and Salt cram a lot of moods into one EP, and for absolutely no cost, you can decide which one’s you treasure the most.

Recommended If You Like: Youth Pictures of Florence Henderson and Bonnie 'Prince' Billy jr., The Ascent of Everest and Sam Beam's right vocal chord, Balmorhea accompanied by a quarter of French Quarter

Barefoot Pilgrimswww.myspace.com/yearsofriceandsalt

Downloadhttp://www.last.fm/music/Years+Of+Ri...ervice+Bell+EP

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
08:54 PM on 03/03/09
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
Sounds really sweet. Good review.
05:44 AM on 03/04/09
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
The RIYL is a lot to wrap the head around. Sheez.
06:56 AM on 03/04/09
zombie!pirate!
User Info.
mmmmmm rice and salt! my fav!
10:28 AM on 03/04/09
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
The RIYL is a lot to wrap the head around. Sheez.
staff! what what! Hope you won't stop busting my balls since you've got a red name now.
10:33 AM on 03/04/09
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
staff! what what! Hope you won't stop busting my balls since you've got a red name now.
Didn't plan on it. You know it's all in good fun anyways. Cheers!
11:14 AM on 03/04/09
batmannj
"No more half measures Walt"
User Info.
Blake, I love your reviews. The RIYL section is golden.
09:11 AM on 03/06/09
crimesides
SOCK IT TO ME!
User Info.
Went to last.fm and downloaded the 3 free tracks. They're amazing...just the kind of instrumental stuff I like. Thanks so much for this review!! :D
10:35 AM on 03/06/09
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Went to last.fm and downloaded the 3 free tracks. They're amazing...just the kind of instrumental stuff I like. Thanks so much for this review!! :D
In my esteemed opinion the world needs more British acoustic folk. But that's just me!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos