Password

Album Review
Caesars - Strawberry Weed Album Cover

Caesars - Strawberry Weed

Reviewed by
Caesars - Strawberry Weed
Record Label: Astralwerks
Release Date: August 19, 2008
Upon first picking up the latest Caesars album, Strawberry Weed, itís quite evident that this band isnít falling into the latest trend of downbeat ďemoĒ ballads. If you arenít familiar with Caesars, prep yourself for some powerful 60ís rock influences mixed with some raw, edgy powerpop. Albums by The Kinks and other bands of that nature are sure to be found on these guysí bedroom shelves.

Caesars are best known by most Americans for their single Jerk It Out that was heard on some of the early iPod shuffle commercials. Strawberry Weed is their sixth release (although not all were released worldwide). Unknown to most of us across the Atlantic Ocean, the band has been playing and writing for over 10 years. Caesars arenít shooting to impress the high class, elite musicians; instead theyíre packaging their party into a small jewel case and shipping it over to the states.

The first track, Fools Parade, exemplifies the pre-stated objective pretty thoroughly. With an abrasive drumbeat, raw vocals, and plenty of instrumental noise and distortion, this is a tune to get excited to. The only thing to watch out for is this sound could get a little repetitive to some listeners, which makes this album either a hit or miss right from the start.

The song title Boo Boo Goo Goo nearly kept me from even listening to the track, but as it would turn out, my second grade teacher (Ms. McCarthy) was right when she told me not to judge a book by its cover. Being a sucker for bouncy melodies and catchy guitar riffs, this tune was one of my favorites off the album. Crystal also carries on some of this Caesars-style powerpop. However, I was disappointed that Caesars waited until No Tomorrow (the ninth song on the album) to pull out a serious lead synth-organ riff. But when they finally did, it made for quite an appealing tune.

The album, as a whole, is a pleasure to listen to. However, as I mentioned before, the sound may get a little stale to some listeners. As another word of warning, the songs probably wonít be appealing to someone whoís looking for lyrics full of intense emotion and deep metaphors. With that said, I would be willing to bet that these Swedish gentlemen arenít really targeting that demographic anyway.

Naturally, the album has seen significantly more success in Sweden. It doesnít appear this album will hit any major American airwaves anytime soon, but since when did American radio play define success anyway? If nothing else, the album is a good one to crank in the car on the way to a Friday night party.

Recommended If You LikeThe Kinks; The Doors

myspace.com/caesars
This review is a user submitted review from ryantrek. You can see all of ryantrek's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
10:21 AM on 03/13/09
Adrian Villagomez
The Sword the Anvil the Stone
User Info.
Best review I've read in a while. Good job.
04:25 PM on 03/14/09
Tapesombut
Dance Baby
User Info.
Good in depth review. I went to visit their myspace and they sound pretty interesting. Good job ill have to check out the album.
01:11 PM on 03/15/09
bears clap loud
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
very well written review. thorough but not overwhelming. this is review is exactly what i think most people are looking for in a review

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos