therookielot
the shape of punk just came
User Info.
I love "Don't Let her..."
07:28 AM on 03/09/09
superichie
Punk Rock Drummer
User Info.
Very good review. Couldn't have said it better myself. This is a great record.
07:30 AM on 03/09/09
sweepthenation
Vickadelphia
User Info.
Yeah me too, I always felt like they rode blinks coattails.
Yea same, just not my thing
07:35 AM on 03/09/09
xjulianx89
Play that tune
User Info.
That is plain blasphemy. NFG will always be better than the always overrated Blink. NFG has always been consistent and Blink 182 hasn't
I completely disagree, then again, I don't like New Found Glory at all.
07:46 AM on 03/09/09
jtyexists9
We shouldnt have abandoned dreaming
User Info.
That is plain blasphemy. NFG will always be better than the always overrated Blink. NFG has always been consistent and Blink 182 hasn't
Eh, that is your opinion, though I think it is completely inaccurate. I never said NFG sucked, I said they seemed to follow the blink trend, which was established long before NFG. Sum 41 seemed to do the same exact thing. In addition, I don't think any NFG album has come near to out selling Blink-182's enema of the state.
07:52 AM on 03/09/09
jimjam32
www.myspace.com/withhonorsmusic
User Info.
Nothing Gold Can Stay and S/T are both amazing albums. Just because its before your time shouldn't matter. I got into NFG with S&S, same as you, but still checked out their older stuff. I don't see how you can be a NFG without liking their earlier stuff. Imo everything NFG has put out is golden so I might be a little bias.
i know, i know, but the songs didn't hit it as much for me. i love every other release, but just like s/t and nothing gold can stay. i love catalyst/sticks and stones almost equally. but coming home and not without a fight are my favorites for sure. this band just seems to get better with almost every release
08:01 AM on 03/09/09
jtyexists9
We shouldnt have abandoned dreaming
User Info.
Of course NFG has never sold as much as Blink 182. I could care less about popularity because for me the music is what counts. So according to your flawed logic Midtown, Something Corporate, Good Charlotte, The Starting Line, Allister, ect all jumped on the Blink trend right?
None of those bands sound like blink as much as the two I stated. It just comes down to the fact blink is better anyways, in my opinion. I mean Chad Gilbert produced the worst album of 2009 thus far, and didn't Mark Hoppus help produce this album?
08:02 AM on 03/09/09
TBSowns524
can't handle The Truth
User Info.
Fun album that won't go unnoticed. Such a veteran group. Veteran leadership much in the vein of Shane Battier and Yao Ming. Yet with the youth and energy of Aaron Brooks and Carl Landry. And the fact that they've kept all the same members for so long shows that their strong friendship is strong like Ron Artest. This album could be a slam dunk better than even Von Wafer could throw down. These guys will go down as one of the great acts, and could perhaps be the Hakeem Olajuwon of pop-punk!

that's a shitload of houston rockets references...
08:09 AM on 03/09/09
Chemical Love
-
User Info.
Great review. I love this album, its my favorite of '09 so far.
08:12 AM on 03/09/09
Cal Lewis
Stay Gold
User Info.
Eh, that is your opinion, though I think it is completely inaccurate. I never said NFG sucked, I said they seemed to follow the blink trend, which was established long before NFG. Sum 41 seemed to do the same exact thing. In addition, I don't think any NFG album has come near to out selling Blink-182's enema of the state.
I'm with LongDistanceDrunk on this one.

I personally think NFG have a slightly different style (with the hardcore breakdowns etc) and different vocals to distinguish themselves from Blink. Even though they have both played the typical punk-pop hybrid.

I've loved everything NFG have put out and think Nothing Gold Can Stay is a classic debut in the genre. Personally I feel NFGs back catalogue is better and more consistent than Blink's.

This however doesn't mean I dislike Blink. I think they've had some great stuff but for me they played alot more on this "toilet humour" than NFG ever has.
08:14 AM on 03/09/09
xName Takenx
User Info.
I was really disappointed by this album on my initial listen through, and my second. I hope that'll change, but I've already decided not to pick up a physical copy for a while. NFG is my favorite standard pop-punk band, and they were also the fist band I saw in concert, so I had high expectations (just like I did when Coming Home was being released) and this album really let me down. Jordan's voice in particular lacks energy and just feels tired. I'm sad to say, but think this is NFG's weakest release... and really, their first truely weak release ever (which is saying something... the band has been around for quite a while now, as you point out).
I think his voice has changed over the last 2 records. I've read in a couple places that people thought his voice was too "whiny" and so he tried to shape it a bit different. I think it's bullshit and makes him sound like everyone else, and completely takes the energy out of his pipes.

Can't get into this record yet, but I guess the secret is listening to it a few more times. I'll have to do that because I love me some NFG.
08:18 AM on 03/09/09
trappedintime
Yea, you were right about me
User Info.
AOTY? Let's hope so.
08:19 AM on 03/09/09
bones jones
'rrhea
User Info.
great record. "reasons" is one of my favorite jams.
08:26 AM on 03/09/09
jimjam32
www.myspace.com/withhonorsmusic
User Info.
Thats cool at least you gave them a chance. I personally disliked NGCS for years but somehow it just clicked with me a few months ago and know I fucking love it. I do agree that they get better with each release. Coming Home is the best thing they have done but NWAT is still amazing

Your avatar is sweet. Isla Fisher is so damn hot.
isla is my future wife!
08:34 AM on 03/09/09
Nolessthanblink
Are you watching closely?
User Info.
GTFO plz k thnx
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News