AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Relient K

Interviewed by
Relient KFirst off, I want you to state your name, and what you do in the band.

My names Matt Thiessen I play guitar, sing, and keys etc. I'm John I play guitar. I'm Jon Warne and I play Bass. My names Dave and I play drums.

What isthe situation between Gotee and Capitol?

Um, well what happened was, back in 1998 we signed to Gotee on a developmental deal, and they ended up signing us on for some records. Six albums, long contract. Then we made our last album, Mmhmm, for Gotee. Three weeks before the album came out, someone over at Capitol heard it, they liked it and wanted to help market it and sell it to a wider audience. Gotee and Capitol are both under EMI distribution, so its basically like they're related and Capitol is being the big brother. Since Gotee doesn't quite have as big of oppurtunites. We actually haven't signed anything with Capitol.

After being a predominantly Christian based artist, why go main-stream?

It's not like there was ever a decision made to change, we wont say we're the exact same kids as when we started the band, because that was six years ago and obviously six years can really change someone. We're changing within the limits that we want. We've never been about selling as many records as we can, or getting popular, of course those things are always welcome, but we've just enjoyed playing shows, writing music, and recording records. Our goal as a band is just to maintain a career out of it.All that being said, we're still the same people, we're not trying to cater to MTV or anything like that.

You're previous albums we're just as catchy as your latest, why don't you think there was any interest back then?

Wow. They were catchy, but they're a lot less cheesey now. I feel blessed that we were able to make three records to learn about things, especially now that we're getting alot of attention. I feel each one had something we needed to tweek, but each had its own positive things about it.I feel the newest one is the one we had the least amount of problems with, as far as looking back and regretting things. Obviously, that's the one we want to have highlighted out of our catalouge.

This question is for Jon Warne. What was it like going from a relatively small band, Ace
Troubleshooter, into one of the bigger bands within music?

Jon: It's been great, it's been a blessing. It's gone from being in a band I love being around, into a different band I love being around. I've been friends with these guys for years, toured with them, so the switch has been really really easy.

Matt: We're not homewreckers either. When we asked Jon to join the band, we made it very clear that we weren't pressuring him into joining.

Jon: At first I was just filling in.

Matt: We took Ace Troubleshooter out on our album release tour and Jon was doing double duties, playing bass for us and singing for Ace. After that tour, we gave Jon a couple of months to decide and told him we were offering him the position. No hard feelings if you can't take it.

You guys have amazing harmonies, did any of you take vocal lessons growing up?

(The band argues back and forth for about two minutes over choir, and school etc)

Matt: My parents were in an octet, they used to make their own clothes and it basically looked like shag carpet. I have a bunch of my parents vinyls, they're called The Sacred Heirs. They toured South America and stuff. My dad sings so low, and my voice is squeaky and annoying. I don't understand where that came from, and my mom sings low alto too. When we first started the band, I wanted alot of harmonies cause I was always singing along to Mxpx records. Matt Hoopes wasn't comfortable singing at first, but I got it out of him. He didn't realize that he had a good singing voice. And, being a Beach Boys fan more harmonies came along. With the next record we should see more, and do a few different things we haven't done before.

Well that kinda answers my next question, but, what can we expect from your next album?

It's a big question mark right now, although I have a few ideas. Start with a few corky ideas, like "hey we haven't done that yet, that'll be fun". We haven't wrote alot of songs yet for the next album, but we do have an EP that comes out on November 8th. There's a couple new things on there. The only thing that may reflect the direction of the new album is the first track on there. It's not very different, but some people have heard it and say it sound a little different.

Did you guys ever see Relient K getting this big?

The guy that told us we were getting signed to the record deal, back in 98 or 99, Mark Townsend, who produced our records, is now Matt Hoopes father in law. It's a real family situation. We're sitting in his living room and we're like "ya know, if we could just sell a couple thousand records, and get to open for bandsm tour and work at it". We didn't care about making money, or any of that stuff. As long as we could keep doing this, ant not have to go back to our old jobs at Wendy's and Foot Locker.

Will there ever be a Matt Thiessen and The Earthquakes album?

Yeah, probably. It's hard though, we've been pretty busy, so when I sit down and write, I want to do Relient K songs. I've written the occasional song here and there for a compilation. You know what's funny though is I always want to put the word demo in parentheses after every song we write because they're never finished, it's always whipped together at the last minute. But, it'd be fun to sit down and do a full record some day.

Do you guys think you'll ever re-do a song off any of your previous albums?

We just did one on the EP that's off of Two Lefts called Over Thinking, which we feel like we botched the first time around. So we re did it, with acoustic, drums. piano and organ. It sounds pretty cool, of course it's alot more mellow than the previous album version, but I like it better.
(Matt burps and its insanely loud and stinky)

Why was there so many different album covers for Two Lefts Don't Make A Right, But Three Do?

That wasn't our decision whatsoever. Gotee thought it would be cool to have four different car wrecks with different scenarios, and the final fifth album cover had all those cars in the junk yard. It's kinda dumb, but we didn't care either way. One thing we were worried about is we didn't want people going out and buying the record four different times, I think the record label may have wanted that though. And I actually know someone who did that. We were actually begging the kids not to buy the album five times.

What are your guys future tour plans?

The Icelandic Tour. We're heading to Antarctica. Uhhhuhh actually it's a secret. Club some baby seals, I mean play a club...for some baby seals. We don't have anything definitve, although we're discussing doing an Austrailian and Japan tour in Febuary, maybe with Mae. We're definately going to try to do more in the spring, we have some radio shows in December. We can't say we're going out with Jack's Mannequin in the spring, but I wish I could.

Is there any parting words for the readers at absolutepunk?

I go there all the time and post every once in awhile, I'm a nerd. I think I have a couple thousand scene points. I see people posting good and bad things about us on there. So to the Yay-sayers, thank you for saying yay. And for you nay-sayers, that's fine you have your opinion, we don't care, we respect you.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 21
11:29 AM on 10/28/05
combatchuckaa
blammo!
User Info.
Matt's a great guy. Good interview.
12:24 PM on 10/28/05
CT-Tim
I Care
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'd love to tour with them just so I could hang out with Matty.
12:43 PM on 10/28/05
MarkyMark1984
****** of the funky bunch
User Info.
i'm glad the guys in RK are doing so well. keep up the good work!
01:40 PM on 10/28/05
Greg
User Info.
thats awesome they post here haha
02:57 PM on 10/28/05
starcrossdlovex
Vicky.
User Info.
"That wasn't our decision whatsoever. Gotee thought it would be cool to have four different car wrecks with different scenarios, and the final fifth album cover had all those cars in the junk yard. It's kinda dumb, but we didn't care either way. One thing we were worried about is we didn't want people going out and buying the record four different times, I think the record label may have wanted that though. And I actually know someone who did that. We were actually begging the kids not to buy the album five times."

That was a great question. & an even better answer.
I love Matt <33

Great interview.

& Matt mentioned his scene points! haha that's awesome that they come here
02:58 PM on 10/28/05
USAFDave
airforceXcore
User Info.
Originally Posted by Matt Theissen
Club some baby seals, I mean play a club...for some baby seals.

Well if the band falls through they can always go with the old marching song... "The only way to earn a livin' is killin' the baby seals..."
03:30 PM on 10/28/05
minusthejosh
Kill the big pig
User Info.
great interview
04:07 PM on 10/28/05
Caleb Cattivera
Cupid of Absolutepunk
User Info.
thanks for the kind words. these guys are amazingly nice. when he said they were going to club baby seals i about lost it.
04:09 PM on 10/28/05
TBSowns524
can't handle The Truth
User Info.
I love these guys. Where was Matt Hoopes during th interview?
05:31 PM on 10/28/05
moore182
User Info.
I met Matt "back stage" at warped...such a cool down to earth dude.
I'm stoked for the EP.
06:52 PM on 10/28/05
Blared
User Info.
Cool interview. I'll probably check out the EP.
08:00 PM on 10/28/05
Skatetopunk
Typical College Drunk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
relient k is one of my fav bands ever... i have all their cd's and ep's... great interview!
08:34 PM on 10/28/05
Caleb Cattivera
Cupid of Absolutepunk
User Info.
Originally Posted by TBSowns524
I love these guys. Where was Matt Hoopes during th interview?
s

sick on the bus.
12:48 AM on 10/29/05
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
Originally Posted by Greg
thats awesome they post here haha
i wonder under what name

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates