AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Shower Scene, The - The Shower Scene EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 6
Production 7.5
Creativity 6.5
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 76%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 7.5
Production 9
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Average: 84%

Shower Scene, The - The Shower Scene EP

Reviewed by: The Personist (03/12/09)
The Shower Scene - The Shower Scene EP
Record Label: None
Release Date: January 24, 2009

Who?

The Shower Scene, a pop-punk foursome from Dublin, Ireland, who saw fit to create lofty expectations by naming their band after a Brand New song.

How is it?

Quite good. This five-song EP is an exercise in high-energy pop-punk in the vein of classic New Found Glory and Fall Out Boy. It's hard to discuss this self-titled effort without devolving into hyperbole; this band plays pop-punk, and they play it well. Fall Out Boy turn out to be a heavy influence on The Shower Scene's sound, as is referenced by the beginning of "In the Deep End" and the chorus of "This Is the Call Out." This influence, though, is not at all unwelcome. This quartet makes pop-punk fun again and does so without the synth-soaked inanity of many modern bands in this scene. Lyrically, the band is nothing special; lines like, "'Cause we're the kids from years ago / The youth that will never grow old / And The Starting Line are still bursting from my speakers" are the norm, which, while cheesy and somewhat clichéd, fits the music very nicely. Furthermore, the music never strays from the standard pop-punk formula; however, within this constraint, the tunes are energetic, fun, and memorable. Thankfully, The Shower Scene don't pretend to be anything they aren't. They promise fun, catchy pop-punk, and that is exactly what they deliver. This EP comes highly recommended for anyone with a sweet tooth or affinity for pop-punk done right.

Note: Though they do not play music in the same style as Brand New, which was initially disappointing, I have forgiven them their nominal transgressions because of how freakin' catchy this EP is.

Recommended If You LikeFall Out Boy; New Found Glory; Cartel

myspace.com/theshowerscene

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 45
10:43 AM on 03/23/09
lostfear
Jakesonaplane
User Info.
pretty damn good. but also bland, like a sup par hit the lights. however if they write a full length I'll check it out.
11:49 AM on 03/23/09
SomedayTheFire
when I die there'll be no trumpets
User Info.
Wow, a The Shower Scene review, I was not expecting this at all haha I remember when they were an acoustic act, they were much better back then . . .
01:55 PM on 03/23/09
Liter-O-Cola
Is there a ghost in my house?
User Info.
I don't think it says much about the band's originality by naming themselves after a song that's only 8 years old by a band that's still together
02:02 PM on 03/23/09
SomedayTheFire
User Info.
I don't think it says much about the band's originality by naming themselves after a song that's only 8 years old by a band that's still together
I knew one of the guys, they aren't that original at all haha. They are alright, nothing more, nothing less.
02:52 PM on 03/23/09
Liter-O-Cola
Is there a ghost in my house?
User Info.
I knew one of the guys, they aren't that original at all haha. They are alright, nothing more, nothing less.
Haha oh well it is what it is
10:46 AM on 03/28/09
pennie
GOONER
User Info.
Oh wtf?You're talking out your ass,they are fucking god awfull. 76? This has to be a joke.Seriously.
01:47 PM on 03/28/09
cocoballs
Ze best you can be is ze full moon.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Hmm...

These guys are not brilliant. I've seen them play a grand total of 3 times, with 1 upcoming: I saw them support Fall Out Boy and Paramore, will see them supporting Go:Audio, and - get this - I saw them support my boyfriend's band. That's how mediocre they are. They played lower down than a group of 17 year old teenage boys. They've been booed off two out of the three times I saw them.

I really liked them when they were an acoustic act, though. Super nice guys, too.
02:14 PM on 03/28/09
SomedayTheFire
User Info.
Hmm...

These guys are not brilliant. I've seen them play a grand total of 3 times, with 1 upcoming: I saw them support Fall Out Boy and Paramore, will see them supporting Go:Audio, and - get this - I saw them support my boyfriend's band. That's how mediocre they are. They played lower down than a group of 17 year old teenage boys. They've been booed off two out of the three times I saw them.

I really liked them when they were an acoustic act, though. Super nice guys, too.
This times 100.
09:14 AM on 03/29/09
OnaedInSpace
she sucked and sucked and sucked.
User Info.
Hmm...

I know you from last.fm cocoballs! ALSO, I was suprised to see this being reviewed. They are terrible but people go see them never the less
10:01 AM on 03/29/09
SomedayTheFire
User Info.
This is the most Irish people I have seen in one thread.
02:45 PM on 03/30/09
cocoballs
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I know you from last.fm cocoballs! ALSO, I was suprised to see this being reviewed. They are terrible but people go see them never the less
Methinks I know you too...dude from Drogheda who was at Fall Out Boy and Pendulum and is possibly going to Oasis? Or at least that's what I remember...been a long time since I used Last.fm properly. Not many gigs, sadly...savin' it all for Warped, the king, aka MJ, and the Picnic.

Fecks sake, just actually checked my Last.fm and one of the Shower Scene guys is complaining that I can't remember his name. Can't help it, they all blur together! I'm still getting them confused with the lads from Steer Clear, to be honest.
02:36 PM on 03/31/09
cocoballs
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
You say this yet you recommend them in another post?Who is your boyfriends band?Just because they played lower down means absolutly nothing here.You should know that.Its all random. Also they were not booed off at FOB or Paramore.What are you talking about?

I have a reply written out, maybe I'll PM it...keep things on the DL.
02:45 PM on 03/31/09
pennie
GOONER
User Info.
Edited at request.
03:23 PM on 03/31/09
cocoballs
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Again, sent via PM.
Options