AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Prodigy, The - Invaders Must Die Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 9
Production 9
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 89%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 9
Production 9.25
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.38
Average: 86%

Prodigy, The - Invaders Must Die

Reviewed by: live4music (03/17/09)
The Prodigy - Invaders Must Die
Record Label: Take Me to the Hospital
Release Date: March 3, 2009 (USA)

Prodigy's last effort Always Out Numbered, Never Outgun was a letdown, but Invaders Must Die is a return to form. Once again the three-man lineup that was found on their most popular album, Fat of the Land, the first three Invaders Must Die tracks all sound like they could have been off that hit record from the 90's. Nonetheless, the songs are full of the crunchy synth sound that The Prodigy is known for. The opening title track is the perfect segue, sounding like a bridge between Fat of the Land and Invaders Must Die. The next tune and single from the record, "Omen," has a wicked siren-like beat. Though it's great to have the classic Prodigy back, this first single feels somewhat dated; it could have been on one of the band's records from over ten years ago. This lack of evolution in the band's sound is my main beef. Granted, this is their first album with their original crew since '97, so some leniency can be given.

The fourth track, "Colours," is where the album starts to take off. Sounding like The Faint on steroids, the booming bass is my favorite part of the track; although, the 16-bit synth sounds are quite righteous towards the end. "Take Me to the Hospital" is a standout track with a hypnotizing Egyptian-like hook that appears in the song. "Warrior's Dance" is a great track that opens with a sample that sure sounds like an 80's female pop singer. With a squealing electronic beat, you will definitely be tempted to bust-a-move. I was looking forward to hear Dave Grohl's work on "Run with the Wolves," and I was not let down. Grohl seamlessly integrates his drum sound with that of The Prodigy. I particularly like the lyric, "You run with the wolves / While I hunt like a hound." "Worlds On Fire" is a song I would love to see live. I would be jumping around, looking like an idiot, but I'd be having a great time; the song has so much energy. "Piranha" features a beat that sounds quite similar to the eternally-awesome Mortal Kombat song (you know the one that has Scorpion say "Get over heeeere!"). "Stand Up" is the closing track that has a "live" feel, and it also features Grohl rockin' on drums. It is a fun jam that features some sounds from the horn family, which is a cool surprise. Strangely, even with a maniac at the drums, the song is a fun, easier listen and the one of the calmest found on the record; it's a great way to end.

It seems like there is not only a trend of reunions, but a trend of bands going back to their "roots." Some people aren't big on this, but personally I'm a fan (yes, that means I like Death Magnetic). It was a pleasant surprise to hear a rad, solid album from a band that I didn't know had it in them anymore. I don't know if it is due to the lineup change, but they should be glad to be together once again. Besides having a slight rock edge to this record, a lack of evolution is my only concern. I will admit I'm not too savvy on their genre; therefore, maybe they're more innovative than I realize. This record is not quite groundbreaking, but it is The Prodigy doing what they do better than anyone else.

Recommended If You LikeThe Faint; earlier The Prodigy; Junkie XL

theprodigy.com
myspace.com/theprodigy

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
03:04 PM on 03/27/09
HometownHero
User Info.
Hey live4music your review is great. This album is fucking sick. Good job!
08:45 AM on 03/31/09
zombie!pirate!
User Info.
sick album, sick review. Invaders Must Die is one of the most ridiculous songs ever
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests