AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Callahan - Face the Day EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 7.25
Lyrics 6.75
Production 8.5
Creativity 6.25
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 7.75
Final Verdict: 75%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Callahan - Face the Day EP

Reviewed by: Klatzke (03/18/09)
Callahan - Face the Day
Record Label: None
Release Date: August 18, 2008

It was seventy five degrees Fahrenheit here about a week ago, and it's approaching that today. That's in sharp contrast to the twenty degree weather punctuating the highs, and if there's one thing I can safely affirm this week it's this: Spring is upon us. While Ohio may still be stuck in the back and forth struggle that it plays every year, these sunny, balmy days have apparently convinced my internal ear that it's time to switch from the somber melodies of Manchester Orchestra and Lovedrug to the infectious, summer-y pop anthems that I feel obliged to blast every day that I can safely lower my windows without getting frostbite. My favorites are still going to come into play of course, but it's looking like there's another early contender for that honor in Callahan's Face the Day EP.

Apparently, Callahan isn't actually too far down the road from me. Originating in Springfield, Ohio, they've made a name for themselves in the local area (I'd heard of them at least) and self-released two EPs. The second of the two, Face the Day, is a fairly standard pop-rock approach, encompassing auto-tuned vocals and downplayed instrumentation in exchange for catchy hooks and melodies. The instrumentation isn't completely bust, however, and though they never really stray too far from the normal pop-rock instrumentation, they at least hold their own at it. Their lyrics are, well, pop-rock lyrics. You catch gems like: "Hey boy what's your problem?/ With those hips she could solve them/ Her eyes giving you the notion/ going through the motions, lacking all devotion." They're not bad for this sort of band by any means, and some of their lines are pretty well thought out, but if you don't like singing about girls/boys/relationships/fun then you're definitely not going to be feeling their choice of topics.

If there's one thing Callahan does completely right, it's writing an intro. For example, the aforementioned lines from "Dress to Impress," as well as the intros to the songs "When Morning Comes" and "This One's For the History Books" all encompass some seriously infectious vocal hooks. The beginning of "When Morning Comes" is quite impressive. After an escalation you hear the vocals kick in with a "There she stands pretty dainty in pose!" before breaking into the catchy first verse. Of course, the songs don't completely hinge on the band's ability to write some catchy first-listen hooks. My favorite song from the album "Love Stories Don't Have Endings" actually starts out slower than the rest, but it's a driven track, and though the lyrics may be cheesy I kind of like them. The most notable part of this song, however, is the appearance of Jason Lancaster (Go Radio) in the closing minutes of the album, showing off one of the darling guest appearances I've missed from him since his departure from Mayday Parade.

Though Callahan may veer towards the cheesy and somewhat cliche at times, I'm rather impressed with the band's ingenuity. If you're tired of autotuned vocals and over-the-top youthful exuberance then you'll be a bit turned off by this EP, but if you're not fed up with the trend, Callahan could quite possibly find a place on your Summer '09 playlists.

Recommended If You LikeSchool Boy Humor; Forever the Sickest Kids; Mayday Parade; Thieves and Villains

myspace.com/callahanlovesyou

Displaying posts 1 - 12 of 12
05:56 PM on 03/30/09
more heart
Midtown Saves
User Info.
I can safely say I've never heard auto-tune in their songs(lest to sound like a robot).
06:01 PM on 03/30/09
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
I can safely say I've never heard auto-tune in their songs(lest to sound like a robot).
There's autotune in places. You can definitely hear it, and they even use it vocoder-ishly in a few places.

They don't use it constantly, but there are places, especially when he wails a little bit you can hear it.
06:04 PM on 03/30/09
more heart
Midtown Saves
User Info.
There's autotune in places. You can definitely hear it, and they even use it vocoder-ishly in a few places.

They don't use it constantly, but there are places, especially when he wails a little bit you can hear it.
I figured it would have been used for pitch because I've never(to my recollection) heard it in the same way bands are using it nowadays.
06:17 PM on 03/30/09
Klatzke
User Info.
I figured it would have been used for pitch because I've never(to my recollection) heard it in the same way bands are using it nowadays.
Yeah, it sounds like it's used for pitch mainly. There is a song on this EP where they use it like a vocoder though.
06:22 PM on 03/30/09
more heart
Midtown Saves
User Info.
Yeah, it sounds like it's used for pitch mainly. There is a song on this EP where they use it like a vocoder though.
It's sad that it's becoming more acceptable to use Auto-Tune to correct pitch because of all the rappers and bands using it for wierd vocal effects.
06:24 PM on 03/30/09
Klatzke
User Info.
It's sad that it's becoming more acceptable to use Auto-Tune to correct pitch because of all the rappers and bands using it for wierd vocal effects.
mmhmm
12:21 AM on 03/31/09
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
Thank you for doing this review justice -- not sure I could have done much better
04:39 AM on 03/31/09
donwagenblast
@mylifeisdon
User Info.
"This One's For the History Books" was almost the theme song of my prom this year.
04:57 AM on 03/31/09
Klatzke
User Info.
Thank you for doing this review justice -- not sure I could have done much better
Thank you
02:15 PM on 03/31/09
geebee889
Registered Goober
User Info.
Really good review, I'll have to check these guys out.
02:42 PM on 03/31/09
Klatzke
User Info.
Really good review, I'll have to check these guys out.
Thanks
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News