AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
P.O.S. - Never Better Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 7.25
Lyrics 9
Production 9.25
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 86%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 9
Production 8
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 10
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 91%

P.O.S. - Never Better

Reviewed by: -ben (03/20/09)
P.O.S. - Never Better
Record Label: Rhymesayers Entertainment / Doomtree
Release Date: February 3, 2009

“Sorry I took so long” are the first words you hear from Stefon Alexander, more commonly known as hip-hop anomaly P.O.S., on his latest album Never Better. Well, while it’s been three years since his fourth album Audition, it’s immediately clear that it was well worth the wait. “Let It Rattle” kicks the album off in a straightforward way, but P.O.S.’ rhymes are incredibly fluent over such a simple beat. In fact, the whole album is fashioned in a similar manner. No where is it overdone, but every word, every beat finds a way to strike you as the listener.

If you don’t already know, P.O.S. is not your typical rapper. In fact, he’d probably be more comfortable at a punk rock show circa 1989 than on the same bill as the Kanye’s and Wayne’s of the mainstream hip hop scene. His raps – no, lyrics – are best described as thought-provoking, heavy, and sometimes even almost splendid. Lines like: “And we all save face in the face of our friends, and we all bend backwards to make amends, and we all take chances that change us” (from “Goodbye”) set the tone of the album: undeniable optimism in the face of fear.

The truth is I can’t find a song on Never Better that I don’t like. There are standouts, including “Goodbye,” “Optimist,” and the all too brief “Savion Glover,” but there aren’t any songs that I would, or have, skipped when listening front-to-back. This is the first album to be released so far this year that I’m still listening to very regularly.

The further I find myself into Never Better, the better it gets. Even now as I sit here and attempt to write this review, I’d rather just listen to it. The production is flawless, thanks to both P.O.S. and fellow Doomtree member Lazerbeak. Paper Tiger is worth noting as well for his production on “Low Light Low Life,” which features Doomtree collective members Sims, Cecil Otter, and Dessa, and is probably my personal favorite song on Never Better.

The strongest aspect of P.O.S.’ music however is in his words. The content and the delivery, he’s more a modern troubadour than a rapper. Many hip hop artists today utilize vulgarity to an unprecedented extent, which there is nothing wrong with, when it’s in ‘good’ taste. But as I listen to my copy of Never Better, I still don’t know if I have the uncensored or clean version. P.O.S.’ vocabulary is unbelievable, but he could get along with your grandmother while just as well maintaining the same abrasiveness exhibited on his albums.

However, if you’re looking for the next big thing, the next rapper to take number one on TRL or whatever garbage MTV is running nowadays, P.O.S. is not your man. Never Better It’s something different that has to be appreciated for just that. Don’t expect to see it on any “Best Rap Albums of 2009” lists, but is it too early to say one of the “Best Albums of 2009?” No, and as of right now, it’s certainly on my list. This is not standard hip-hop.

Recommended If You LikeDoomtree; Atmosphere; Brother Ali; non mainstream hip-hop

myspace.com/pos

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
01:38 AM on 03/31/09
Metal Now
Talking about the second and third
User Info.
Love this album, nice review.
03:35 AM on 03/31/09
TachyonEvan
Batman, for example, and Magellan.
User Info.
Rating is too low.
06:46 AM on 03/31/09
cscwell107
You Will Always Have My Attention
User Info.
This album is amazing.
08:42 AM on 03/31/09
zombie!pirate!
User Info.
I don't think so. Very un-biasd review, and realistic, While the album was really good, it isn't as PERFECT as people are making it out to be.

great review
09:39 AM on 03/31/09
lenard27
Let's Go Pens! And Yanks!
User Info.
Absolutely love this album. Very nice review of it.
07:33 PM on 03/31/09
MNlukeMN
User Info.
hmm, personally i would have given the musicianship much higher than 7.25... especially for a hip-hop album. right up there with "life gives you lemons" musicianship, although they are very different styles.
09:06 AM on 04/01/09
-ben
Finally here.
User Info.
hmm, personally i would have given the musicianship much higher than 7.25... especially for a hip-hop album. right up there with "life gives you lemons" musicianship, although they are very different styles.

I would've liked to, but I really can't plead it's case for anything higher. There's nothing like, incredibly different. It's still unique; for instance, I'd give Tha Carter III (or just about any other hip hop album) a five tops on musicianship. The beats are impressive, but there's not much more there.
09:08 AM on 04/01/09
-ben
Finally here.
User Info.
btw, I have my own blogspot that I post all my reviews (album and concert) at: http://attheendofallthings.blogspot.com/
02:10 PM on 04/03/09
texasuckfest
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
great cd. doomtree rules
02:16 PM on 04/04/09
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
Overrated album. Huge disappointment in my eyes.
Options

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version