AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Vanna - A New Hope Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 6.5
Lyrics 5.5
Production 7.25
Creativity 4
Lasting Value 5
Reviewer Tilt 6.75
Final Verdict: 60%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.61
Musicianship 6.19
Lyrics 5.61
Production 6.64
Creativity 5.19
Lasting Value 6.22
Reviewer Tilt 6.25
Average: 61%
Inside AP.net
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.

Vanna - A New Hope

Reviewed by: Drew Beringer (03/26/09)
VannaA New Hope
Release Date: March 24, 2009
Record Label: Epitaph

I couldn’t help but think of Stars Wars Episode IV (nerd alert) when I noticed the title for Vanna’s latest album. In A New Hope the movie, the Jedi is rare and nearly extinct , and Luke Skywalker is told he will be the savoir. In the same sense, good metalcore (or whatever –core you want to call this) is rare. Will Vanna’s A New Hope breathe life into a stale genre, or will it end up more like The Phantom Menace?

The Boston five-piece does a fairly good job of incorporating melody into their brand of metal. “Let’s Start An Earthquake” sets the tone, but it takes a few tracks for the album to really get going. It’s incredibly difficult to find the difference between tracks like “Into Hell’s Mouth We March” and “The Same Graceful Wind.” The album hits it peak in the middle though, with bruising tracks such as “Safe To Say” and “We Are The Nameless.” “Trashmouth” is especially delicious, as its paced by Nick Lambert and Evan Pharmakis’ dizzying guitar attack that will leave you scorched like Uncle Owen.

“Sleepwalker” is pulverizing, as Chris Campbell kills on the kit while vocalist Chris Preece shreds his vocals. Full of twists and turns, the track is chaotic romp and the standout on A New Hope. And “Life and Limb” has enough energy in it to keep Chev Chelios alive for a few hours.

But A New Hope stalls on tracks such as “Where We Are Now” and drags to a dull end with closer “The Sun Sets Here” Not to mention that Vanna offers the same formula countless other bands have given before.

A New Hope is a by-the-numbers album. If you liked Vanna or the genre before, then you will dig this. But those looking for something fresh probably won’t be too high on this. There are some really good parts to the album, especially tracks five through eight, and Steve Evetts production is crystal clear as usual. But, unlike Obi-Wan Kenobi, Vanna is not our only hope.

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Let’s Start An Earthquake
2. Into Hell’s Mouth We March
3. The Same Graceful Wind
4. Like Changing Seasons
5. Trashmouth
6. Safe To Say
7. We Are Nameless
8. Sleepwalker
9. Where We Are Now
10. Ten Arms
11. Life and Limb
12. The Sun Sets Here
Produced by Steve Evetts

Vanna is:
Chris Preece – vocals
Nick Lambert – guitar
Evan Pharmakis – guitar/vocals
Shawn Marquis – bass/vocals
Chris Campbell – drums

[http://www.myspace.com/vanna]Official Myspace[/url]; Official AP.net Profile

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 63
12:31 AM on 03/26/09
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
I think you mean The Phantom Menace.

/Actual nerd alert.
06:10 AM on 03/26/09
trappedintime
Yea, you were right about me
User Info.
The force is strong with you, WhoSaidThat?
06:11 AM on 03/26/09
schmohawk
schmucko supremo
User Info.
yea, album wasn't as good as i wanted it to be
06:16 AM on 03/26/09
JTMcKrackles
I'm not sad anymore
User Info.
Some scene kid in my study hall was ranting and raving about this album yesterday, so I might check it out, but I fully expect it to suck.
06:18 AM on 03/26/09
OdeToTheSun
Exit:Denied
User Info.
I'm liking this album. Yes, it is somewhat generic, but I like the melody and Chris' vocals.
Good review though.
06:28 AM on 03/26/09
iAMhollyood315
Rest is for the dead
User Info.
nothing groundbreaking. But take it for what it is and you find it a really enjoyable record. I met a few of them in a bar a few years ago and they were super nice guys.
06:29 AM on 03/26/09
heyozzie
It's evolution baby!
User Info.
good review. yea i enjoyed this album but you're right, it wasn't anything groundbreaking.
06:32 AM on 03/26/09
Petzl
LETS GET A (MARIO) PARTY STARTED!
User Info.
I think this album was a huge improvement from Curses. I'll probably get ripped for saying that, but this album definitely shows off their musical ability, especially the guitarists', way more than Curses did. Anyways, "Sleepwalker" is the best song on this album by a long shot, I wasn't really thrilled about "Into Hell's Mouth" or "Safe to Say" when they posted them up on myspace but the rest of the album is pretty awesome. I definitely agree with the statement you made about "if you liked Vanna before, you'll like this" as opposed to someone who has never heard them looking for something new. They definitely don't try anything radically different with this album, but if you like more of the same then it's great.
06:32 AM on 03/26/09
thefirewithin
In Exile
User Info.
I've been trying to decide whether this is worth the listen or not... I guess I won't know till I try it.
06:40 AM on 03/26/09
cereal4life
User Info.
Oh Drew, excellent Star Wars references. I dig, indeed! If you would have incorporated Chewbacca in there somehow, I would be so chuffed. Good review!
06:46 AM on 03/26/09
Chuck!
Lost Forever // Lost Together
User Info.
I really dig Trashmouth. Fair review, well done
06:57 AM on 03/26/09
npmshah
Our Love Is Like A Song
User Info.
great star wars analogy
07:06 AM on 03/26/09
iAMhollyood315
Rest is for the dead
User Info.
I think this album was a huge improvement from Curses. I'll probably get ripped for saying that, but this album definitely shows off their musical ability, especially the guitarists', way more than Curses did. Anyways, "Sleepwalker" is the best song on this album by a long shot, I wasn't really thrilled about "Into Hell's Mouth" or "Safe to Say" when they posted them up on myspace but the rest of the album is pretty awesome. I definitely agree with the statement you made about "if you liked Vanna before, you'll like this" as opposed to someone who has never heard them looking for something new. They definitely don't try anything radically different with this album, but if you like more of the same then it's great.
Yeah I agree. Vanna have grown musically and it's better than curses. However I think safe to say is one of the best songs on the record.
07:31 AM on 03/26/09
exploration #4
Dude
User Info.
That Uncle Owen comment was uncalled for. :(
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives