AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Radio Hanoi - 01.07.09

Radio Hanoi - 01.07.09

Interviewed by
Radio Hanoi - 01.07.09The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer. Below you will find answers from bands that replied.

Radio Hanoi [virb]
Ronnie Rigar

1. How did you get your band name?
- I was taking Summer classes at the Monroe County Community College. It was some type of English class. I don't remember which one. We were assigned to read The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien. A character in the book was talking about how he had to stake out up on the mountains and listen, that was all. He started hearing weird music. He mentioned how the "mountains sounded like they were tuned into Radio fucking Hanoi." Radio Hanoi hit me really hard. I dropped the class and concentrated on the music. I knew my project had to be called Radio Hanoi. I never finished the book either. Maybe I will someday.

2. How did this band get started?
- My old band The Fast Luck had broken up in March of 2006. I went through a weird phase with trying to hang out with people who weren't really my friends (I found this out 2 years later), and I wasn't really writing or doing much. Then I picked up the acoustic and realized what I had to do. It was to make music that was similar to the artists that have influenced me my whole life. I got a few people together that Summer of 2006 to help me rehearse songs. It didn't work out. Fast forward three years, and here I am now still writing and recording music solo. Full band or solo, playing all of the instruments. A lot of people have the misconception that playing acoustic means you play soft pretty songs. Not in my case. I've always played the acoustic guitar the exact same way I play the electric. I always thought that set me apart around my home town.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
- I could be really pretentious and name "underground" bands. But I wont do that, because I don't like most underground or indie bands. I'm influenced by really good songs. I can also be really obvious and say The Beatles, The Clash, The Ramones... but duh, who isn't. My two favorite bands, who have influenced me throughout my life of playing music, have been Green Day and Weezer. How's that for pretentious?

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?

- I would be terrified to play with any bands I really respect. I don't want them all to see how hard I rip them off. I would probably want to play with 1996 era Weezer though. God damn were they good then!

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
- I would probably be a cat. They can be such assholes sometimes, and they can get away with it.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
- Radio Hanoi is an anomaly in today's music scene. When ever band looks the same, sounds the same, and acts the same, the outcast is Radio Hanoi. I've always generally hated new music, and I think that's what influences me to make music. I don't hide my lyrics in metaphor. I say what I mean and what I want to say. The lyrics and music get to the point. If you feel like you're freaking out in your life, if stresses and anxieties are going to kill you, then listen to Radio Hanoi, because I feel the same way.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert
?
- I would want something really easy. I would say my song "You Should Know". It's three chords, and the easiest song in the world to play. It's fun as shit too. It's gotta be easy, because I fucking suck hard at Guitar Hero, and I wouldn't want to embarrass myself on my own song.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
- My girlfriend, Lindsay, and that's it. I can't really say a Grammy would mean too much too me though. I probably wouldn't attend. I don't like phonies.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
- I would get rid of MySpace. I would get rid of paying 99 cents for a fucking mp3. MySpace has single handedly ruined the music industry.

10. Memorable tour experience?
- One memorable tour experience was when I realized that every club and every bar throughout America looks exactly the same, no matter what stage you're on, or who's in the crowd.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
- It's a great way for unsigned artists to get noticed and attention. You don't even really have to try that hard, just email someone on staff, or post a message on the forum. It's great. Now if there were just a little less Fall Out Boy posts...

12. What is your favorite song to play?
- Not one of my own. There are so many more better songs than my own. Right now I would have to say "Say It Ain't So" by Weezer.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
- Disney World. It's the happiest place on earth!

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
- Waking up Sunday mornings hearing Van Morrison and The Beatles, thanks to my parents. Or Guns N Roses, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, and Metallica, thanks to my sister, Rhonda.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
- Flying. I would love to just blast off through the roof like a rocket sometimes. How awesome would that be?

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
- I don't really know. How does a band really make it now anyways? I'm not interested in being on TV, or major labels. I'll feel like my band has made it when I have a steady flow of people interested in my rock music.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
- I go by my middle name. I have my whole life. I never really reveal my first name. I'm not embarassed by it or anything, I just never really go into detail. I like to reamin incognito or something.

18. What's your favorite holiday?
- I like the whole Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas season. Now it's over, and I'm depressed.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

- I read a lot. Probably more than most dudes in their early twenties. I also record a lot of music. I lay around with Lindsay and look at my cat, Hermione.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

- Is being a comedian a hidden talent? My mom has told me several times I should be a comedian. But then again... it was my mom saying that.

21. Favorite book?
- I really like The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Catcher In The Rye by J.D Salinger, and Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests