AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Camfield Way - 01.07.09

Camfield Way - 01.07.09

Interviewed by
Camfield Way - 01.07.09The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer. Below you will find answers from bands that replied.

Camfield Way [myspace]

1. How did you get your band name?
We were originally called Whit's End (a play on my last name) but then we all decided it wasn't really fair to have just my name in the band so we got a huge list going of really generic "punk" type names and none of them really stood out for us. Camfield Way was the street that I grew up on and it sounded pretty solid to all of us...and it's got 3 syllables, the greatest bands of all time have 3 syllables.

2. How did this band get started?
My junior year of college at SMU I was a freshman orientation leader and I met this kid named John who said he was a musician so I gave him my demo cd. Over the next 2 years I would see him on campus every now and again and we'd politely claim that we would get together and jam soon but neither of us bothered to get the other's number. I played in my own band through school and after I graduated I got tired of being the frontman and just wanted to play guitar. I was on the SMU campus to go see their ESPN televised Halloween game and as I walked to the game I saw a giant bannana and a giant purple gorilla walking towards me (Halloween). As I was about to pass the purple gorilla, the gorilla dropped to his knees and started trying to grab my junk. I started yelling at him and pulled my fist back to punch the gorilla and then the gorilla pulled his mask off and it was John, "Hey remember me?" He had just broken up his old band that he played bass in and was looking to start a new one and they needed a guitar player. I meet up with this new group and it's just not working. The lead guitar player spent over an hour every practice tuning and trying to find the right "tone" on his amp. We showed up to practice one day and the drummer didn't show up, turns out he stole the drumset never to be seen again. It turns out though that John liked my songs and actually still knew all the words to the demo I'd given him years ago so we decided to keep playing. John contacted the drummer from his old band and that's how we got Charlie to play with us. I have performance anxiety when it comes to guitar solos in concert and I always dissapoint so John met a guy that he goes to recording school with and got him to come play a show with us and that's how Andrew came to join the band and Camfield Way is now complete.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
We all have the same core influences, Zeppelin, Blink182, Foo Fighters, but outside of that we vary alot. John, our bassist, really digs Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young and likes alot of good rap. I like kinda random stuff from Sunny Day Real Estate to Grand Funk Railroad to John Frusciante's solo work. Our drummer, Charlie, loooooooves Zeppelin so it gets mentioned again but he also likes System Of A Down and stuff like that. Andrew, the lead guitarist, likes bands none of us have ever really gotten into like Minus the Bear, Mutemath, and Mars Volta.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
As much as I'd like to say we'd love to tour with The Stones or Zeppelin, I think realistically we wouldn't have fun because of how badly we'd get the stage mopped with ourselves. I think we'd have a lot of fun touring with the guys from Say Anything and Brand New and we'd go well with their crowd too. The ultimate though, would be to tour with Foo Fighters because, in my opinion, they are the best rock back since the 1970's and oddly enough, all of us in the band have weird man crushes on Dave Grohl, not like in a gay way, we just would love to have a beer and smoke a cigarette and talk about music with him...so that would be the best tour ever.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
By furry I take it you mean the people that dress up like animals when they make love? I'd dress up like that kangaroo guy from Big Daddy. John would be an english bulldog because he owns a bulldog (go Jammer!) and I think if he could sleep with Jammer and get away with it he would. Chuck would probably be a horse because, well, you know. And Andrew would be a monkey, except he wouldn't wear a costume, he'd just take his shirt off...that is a hairy, hairy man.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
Because our songs, at their core, are very good and catchy songs that mean something. We may fancy them up with production and what not, but take it all away and just go acoustic and our songs still resonate loud and clear. Most of what's on the radio isn't real and when stripped down is just weak and flaccid. We hold up and when you really look at our lyrics you'll find a lot of stuff in their that you can relate to and maybe even find some hope and strength from.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
Probably Rescue Me because it has the most variation on the guitar and has some pretty cool rhythms that would be a little difficult at first. I don't think it'd be all that hard to get a great score on expert but it'd probably take a couple tries.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Our families, the people that took a chance on us, the bands that gave us music to grow up on, God for inspiration (because I honestly don't know where it comes from, sometimes it just flows out from places I can't find), Russell Hammond and Jeff Bebe.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
How much money it costs to record/produce an album. That's the most basic thing that stands between a new band sounding like amateurs or pros. If bands could record themselves at good quality they could just shop for their own distributors, find their own advertising agency, and get their own tour manager and probably make a lot more money that going the record label route...but none of this is possible without a real professional sounding album, which costs too much to do without someone fronting the money.

10. Memorable tour experience?
Our first road trip. We played at the Permian Basin County Fair in Odessa, TX (where Friday Night Lights was based on) and it was our first time to actually feel like rock stars. The county payed for our transportation, accomodations, and then payment on top of that (and free fair tickets!). Our first night there we went to the hotel bar and they had all-you-can-drink happy hour if you stayed in the hotel. Long story short we end up almost in a fight with an oil-driller and get kicked out of the bar and then spend an hour trying to figure out how to move the beds in the hotel room together to create more space ending with Chuck breaking his phone, cutting his leg open, and sleeping in the van. We played 3 shows the next day, each with about 2 hours of break time in-between. After the second show my voice was blown and we were all really tired. After we'd rested for about 10 minutes it started pouring rain and we were the only place in that area of the camp that had a covering so hundreds of people started packing into the band area and we just looked at each other and were like, "F'yeah, let's do this now." And with all those people trapped and forced to listen to us we rocked out and even when the rain let up, very few people left and we got to sign our first autographs after that show.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
It's a great place to hear about new bands, get info on what your favorite bands are doing next, and also to network and test stuff out with people who maybe wouldn't have ever heard our music.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
Probably One Night Shelf Life or Get Get Gone.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Hermosa Beach, CA. Camping anywhere is pretty good too though. Our bassist owns a 400 year old estate in Switzertland and if he ever takes us there, that might be our favorite place, haha.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
I drove to Virginia with my Dad right after CD players became affordable and he had Who's Next by The Who, Beach Boys greatest hits, Rod Stewart greatest hits, 3 Dog Night greatest hits, a Michael Bolton cd, and a Celine Dion cd...these are the cds of my youth.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

Super charisma, like Aaron Eckhart from Thank You For Smoking, so we'd have the incredible ability to get people to do what we want without feeling too bad because technically they still made their own decisions, haha. Buy This Album!

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?

In a way, yeah! I mean, we could obviously make it bigger. But whenever we have a show, people are excited to come out for it, we get paid to do what we want to do, kids look up to us (shorter ones). We have fun so we're making it, if it ever stops being fun we'll stop doing it.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
If we dropped pants, one could come to the conclusion that none of us are Jewish.

18. What's your favorite holiday?
Christmas, giving and getting presents, family, friends, it's a perfect holiday.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

Outside of playing music we all have different hobbies. John likes to Golf, Chuck and I like to work on screenplays, Andrew is weirdly into badmitton and really good at it.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

John can sing just like Axl Rose. I can suck in the sides of my stomach while pushing out the middle, making my stomach look like an alien face. Chuck and Andrew don't hide their talents, they keep them in full display.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests