AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Arika Kaosa and The Brethren - 01.07.09

Arika Kaosa and The Brethren - 01.07.09

Interviewed by
Arika Kaosa and The Brethren - 01.07.09The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer. Below you will find answers from bands that replied.

Arika Kaosa and The Brethren [myspace]

1. How did you get your band name?
The band name is first off, my name, Arika Kaosa. We came upon The Brethren as a joke as I am an ordained minister and all the other members are men.

2. How did this band get started?
AK and TB initially started as a side project to my thrash band in 2005. I play 17 instruments proficiently and thought a solo project would be prime. I had a friend give me a computer program that you could create music with electronically. It was fun to mess around with at the time but I didn’t think it would be anything major with my solo project. I started getting good at putting my instruments in with the program and it pretty much snowballed into what it is today. The exception now is I have a better computer program and better recording techniques.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
Personally, I’m influenced by Joy Division, Depeche Mode, Morrissey, Slipknot, Head Automatica, Rancid, Allison Krauss and Union Station…I’m all across the board. It’s not unusual to hear Combichrist to James Brown to George Strait back to back to back in my household.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
It has always been a dream of mine to share a stage with Depeche Mode. Their live act is amazing and they are definitely legends and it would be an ultimate honor for us.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
I’m not really sure. I’ve always been fond of penguins. Maybe I could be a lion because of the roar I already have vocally.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
If people like to mosh and dance at the same time (not hardcore dancing have you) then we’re definitely your band. Many listeners we have indulge in the lyricism and can relate to what I have to say. This isn’t a band where we rhyme dog and frog.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?

As a whole we’d want the song, “During The End”, off our new album on Rock Band. It is a very intense song with a great guitar riff and heavy bass line. I think initially the song would be difficult to master the first few times on the game but from there smooth sailing.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
I know I would thank my mother, my grandmother, my friends, and all the people that fueled my rage when I was in middle school. Those 3 years were the worst in my formative years and the haters have shaped me into the strong person I am today.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I would change the creative hold major labels have on their signed artists.

10. Memorable tour experience?
I’ve been touring in bands since I was 12 years old, so for 11 years I’ve seen some pretty crazy things. The most memorable was this show in the middle of nowhere with about 270 people camping out two years ago. My band was headlining and had to wait all day in 95 degree weather with drunk people every where…it was like a poor mans Ozzfest. After a half hour of being there, I had 3 people ask me if they knew where the hookers were, a young kid maybe 8 ask me for a cigarette, and a dead end crack deal with knives drawn. The police shut the place down after our 3rd song which was fine because half of the band members were playing different songs than the other half who were drunk during the set! I’ve never had a crazier moment but to be honest it was the best show of my life so far.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
AP.net is like a CNN for music news. I love it.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
AK and TB’s favorite song to play is, “paintbynumbers”. The song brings in a psychobilly bass line, organs, trash cans, and an electro main line that gets the place going crazy every time we play it.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
I refuse to give it away. It might become the next Mykonos or whatever the hell they’re called.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
I grew up listening to Little Richard, Sheryl Crow, Sarah McLachlan, and Joan Osborne. Yeah, yeah what if god was one of us, I get it. Sure, give me hell for it but that chick can rock! She’s the main influence for me picking up a guitar when I was 8.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
I would love to fly.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
Bands “make it” when their status is synonymous with great music. Until we hit that threshold, we haven’t “made it” at all.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Most fans don’t know that I went through a major health crisis last February that still plagues me today. I had a staph infection and had extreme drug reactions to the medicine they gave me. I was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy after having a needle stabbed in the bottom of both feet over 35 times each for a test. The neuropathy came from a drug they give to people with anthrax! It initially felt like having huge electrical shocks from my toes to my thighs over and over. Now the pain can range from a burn to the feeling of shards of glass being crushed into skin. It hurts but I have learned to manage with the pain. Most people also don’t know that during the recording of, “paint bynumbers” and “Violence, Please”, I could barely do the vocal because my pain was so intense. The recording was the week after my prescription toxicity. When I scream on those songs, I mean it. I also received constant ringing in my ears from the drugs but so what right? I’m a musician, who doesn’t have that in the industry!

18. What's your favorite holiday?

My favorite holiday has to be Easter because by then the weather is great and it generally means I get to gear up for storm chasing season.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

In my spare time I love to work out and just have fun. I love driving around to new cities and exploring.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I used to play semi-pro tennis for a few years. Up until I broke my hand 5 years ago, I was getting ready for an exploration into professional competition.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests