1. How did you get your band name?
Honestly, we had been practicing as a band for about 2 months and we still couldn't figure out a decent name for our band. Finally one day, I was watching the Sandlot and those words "American Pastime" came out of my T.V. and that was it. Everyone liked it and it was set from there.
2. How did this band get started?
American Pastime started as a side project really. Just something for fun. Our members include former and current members of such hardcore/metal bands like CDC, Years Spent Cold, Death Do Us Part, and The Mongoloids. With more then half of the band usually recording or on tour with their respective groups it leaves me (Kevin) and our drummer (Joey) to write most of the music. There is really only SO MUCH hardcore and metal one can listen to everyday on tour before you just get sick of it. I was in pop-punk bands before I really started touring with CDC from 2004-2007 so those roots never really left. When CDC was on tour with Set Your Goals in the Spring of 2006, I was talking to Matty and told him I really just wanted to be in a poppier band. He said do it. Not to sound corny or anything, but he really pushed me and said cut the bull**** and just DO IT. As soon as I left CDC in 2007 I started writing heavily. Within the next year I talked to my old guitarist Kurt and we decided to write some songs and record em. Thats how it all started.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
For me, my favorite band is The Movielife. I saw them at a VFW in suburbian PA years and years ago. All they had out was a couple tapes and their full length on Fadeaway Records. As soon as I heard the first note I was hooked. I still listen to them almost every day. Other then the Movielife, I would say NFG, H2O and Set Your Goals are my biggest influences when it comes to writing. I listen to a lot of different kinds of music though. I could be listening to Hank III one minute, then Mazzy Star the next. I am a closet Tom Waits fan. I just love music.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
There are a couple. Bangarang is one. I love those dudes. I wish they could continue being a band, but seriously, they are so incredibly under-rated. Their last record EP/LP is incredible. Other then them I would say NFG, Gorilla Biscuits us and like...Set Your Goals would be a pretty rad tour. Man, those shows would be a blast.
5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
My cat Chino. He is a 26 lb all black kitty. He's not fat, he's just huge. He literally looks like a Panther. He rules.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
People should listen to us because they know what to expect. I am the first to admit we are nothing new, but we really have our own style. We are here for one reason and one reason only. To have fun.
7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
I would say our new song "Fingerprints" would really be the ideal track to put up. It's by far the best thing I've ever written in my life. It wouldn't be too hard on expert, this is pop-punk here hahaha.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
I would thank my parents, my lady and everyone who has hated or who has tried to pull my down on my journey through music over the years. They've really only made me stronger as gay as that sounds.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I would make it easy for musicians to get into direct contact with those who could actually do something for them.
10. Memorable tour experience?
It involved me and my band at the time (CDC), Set Your Goals...and a car.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
AP.net is a great outlet for bands to really touch people from all over the world and get their name out there. It's a wonderful site that really knows what kind of promotion bands need, no matter how big or small.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
"Just Go"...it has a deep meaning to me.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
The Safari Motor Inn in Cali from the movie True Romance.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
To read minds, I am very unsure of myself yet I am quick to trust and quick to wear my heart on my sleeve.
16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
No, and I don't think I ever will. But that's not a bad thing. It makes me strive to be better at music.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I'm not pretty good guy. Everyone's made their fair share of mistakes, mine just seem to haunt me.
18. What's your favorite holiday?
Christmas. It's fun and my lady is so freakin cute when it starts to come.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I write, work, play X-Box live and i just enjoy time with my family and friends.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I can flare my nostrils...one at a time.