AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
We Know Mason - You Do Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6.5
Musicianship 6.25
Lyrics 6.75
Production 7.5
Creativity 7.25
Lasting Value 5.75
Reviewer Tilt 6.5
Final Verdict: 66%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

We Know Mason - You Do

Reviewed by: masterchiefx12 (03/30/09)
We Know Mason - You Do
Record Label: Danger Records Limited
Release Date: December 18, 2008

You'll swear that it's Liam Gallagher. We Know Mason comes from Barry, South Wales, and according to their website, they deliver "quick, dirty and bullshit free rock and roll." There is an acoustic guitar on almost every track, and there's nothing wrong with that. But maybe "quick" and "dirty" should have been "slow" and "pretty." There's no bullsh*t though; they stayed far away from the bullsh*t. You Do is the band's first record and it packs ten tracks into about forty-five minutes of familiar British slow rock. You can call them boring or ballads; either way it's a close call.

"The Country" is one of the last tracks on the album and I wish that it had come earlier. It has been dubbed as the first single from the album, and is currently available for free download via their website. "Man I Want to Become" uses the quick, catchy, repetitive tricks that Weezer used in the 90's so that the song gets stuck in your head. "Feeling Dead" goes through all of the possibilities of a day's work before explaining in the chorus that it's all a waste anyway. The chorus really carries this song, but watch out for the bridge. There's enough "my-my-my-my's" for a new Knack record. "Morning Light" isn't about morning light at all. This is the song that really makes you think it's an Oasis cover band, but if you keep your ears open, it sounds original enough. "She Loves Me" reminds me of a Beatles song... odd (not really). "Money" puts it plain and simple: We Know Mason wants your money, not your love. Clearly the warning of a chauvinism or at least a hint at why your girlfriend doesn't spend any time with you. Don't play this one around your significant other, but do play it. Songs like "Let's Get Out of Our Heads Now," "We Small Hours," and "Blue Skies" carry catchy guitar licks, but it's the poetry that catches you off guard. These guys are in it to have fun.

I don't think that it's We Know Mason's fault that "Morning Light" sounds like "Morning Glory," or that "She Loves Me" sounds like "She Loves You," but they do. Sorry, guys. Don't get me wrong; the album sounds good (actually, I logged online and snagged my free copy of "The Country"). It definitely sounds original, but I just can't get past the similarities between You Do and Dig Out Your Soul—the latest release by the aforementioned Oasis. At times We Know Mason's lead singer lets his vocals hang around a little too long; his voice sounds like Bob Dylan doing a Jimmy Stewart impression. You Do is definitely worth a listen, so at least download the single. If you like one track, you'll like them all.

Recommended If You LikeOasis; Bob Dylan; The Beatles

weknowmason.com
myspace.com/weknowmason

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests