Album Review

We Still Dream - Oh, Snap! Album Cover

We Still Dream - Oh, Snap!

Reviewed by
We Still Dream - Oh, Snap!
Record Label: None
Release Date: October 2008
Who?

An unsigned six-piece pop-rock band in the vein of Four Year Strong that's currently tearing their way through Florida in the wake of their latest EP Oh, Snap!.

How is it?

Surprisingly good. While their album title and strangely infantile album art may lead you to think of a bad pop band with garageband recordings, Oh, Snap! is not only well recorded, it's both catchy and somewhat creative.

The three-guitar approach seems like a bit of overkill in places, but it does give the guitar work a certain flair that would be missing without it. The musicianship really sets it apart, with the Four Year Strong-esque instrumentation (on both drums and guitar) giving it the flair it needs to stand out. The vocals are also rather impressive, and while they sound pretty standard in some places, the vocalist has a good, strong voice that carries the tracks along with ease. The tracks are undeniably catchy too, and "Covering With Stars Takes Practice" is easily the catchiest song I've heard thus far this year with it's opening lines of "Simon says I'm not myself, when I'm not with you!" While I'm usually adverse to the use of the "whoo!" or "whoa!" shouts and the gang vocals that these bands implement far too often, when their vocalist belts them out, they sound perfectly placed (such as in the breakdown-ish section of "Five Twenty Two").

Oh, Snap! shows nothing but potential for this budding band. I'm really interested to see where they go with their sound, and anyone looking for another EP to throw into rotation in their summer playlists should pick this up without hesitation. Yes, on the surface it sounds like those generic pop-rock bands that it's so trendy to hate on around here, but once you spend a little bit of time with Oh, Snap!, that won't matter a single bit.

Recommended If You LikeFour Year Strong; School Boy Humor; Crisis In Hollywood

myspace.com/westilldream
This review is a user submitted review from Klatzke. You can see all of Klatzke's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version