AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Fall Farewell, A - Where Us Trouble Befalls,... Album Cover

Fall Farewell, A - Where Us Trouble Befalls,...

Reviewed by
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
A Fall Farewell - Where Us Trouble Befalls, And The Secrecy Enthralls
Release Date: November 1, 2005
Label: Rise Records

With the screamo/metalcore genre becoming more and more generic and stale, five guys from Los Alamitos, California have revived the genre a bit. Fresh off from signing with Rise Records, A Fall Farewell has released “Where Us Trouble Befalls, and The Secrecy Enthralls” to kick us all in the back of our heads. A Fall Farewell, featuring Jason Gallup on vocals, Bret Hudzietz on the drumset, Daniel Cardoza and Paul Schierholtz rocking the guitars, and Scott Kulek holding down the rhythm on bass, have toured with Hot Cross, The Bled, and opened Taken's final shows. Produced by Matt Squire (Northstar, The Receiving End Of Sirens, Panic! At The Disco), this album creates an abstract fusion of metal riffs, hardcore energy, and melody. And in a genre that is constantly worn-out, A Fall Farewell keeps it sincere, raw, and in your face, making “Where Us Trouble Befalls, and The Secrecy Enthralls” something I can listen to without getting sick.

Musically, they remind me a lot of Fear Before The March Of Flames and Underoath. Mixing tempos throughout the album, A Fall Farewell knows when to scream and when to sing. Slower songs like "How Could You Fall Asleep" and "If I Had A Trumpet" keep the album from becoming one long song. It switches up the album well. Songs like "Upon The Plains At Daybreak" and "somd." punch you in the throat, using intense drumming with battling guitars, which match up greatly with Gallup’s unforgiving vocals. My favorite song on the album is the chaotic and brutal “You Two Motherfuckers Need Jesus”. The screaming, the crushing guitars, and the breakneck speed of the drumming just all mesh together beautifully. This song will make you want to throw chairs out of the window. The guitar work on "Cletus The Black" is superb, the drumming is great throughout the album, and the screaming is actually done pretty well. The album closes with the six minute "Jealous Manifestations and Half Truths", which hits you hard in the beginning, then gently picks you back up, only to dropkick you at the end. All in all, this album gives you an eleven-track beatdown.

Rise Records, the label that first brought us Fear Before The March Of Flames, gives us a gem in A Fall Farewell. “Where Us Trouble Befalls, and The Secrecy Enthralls” is a solid debut album featuring everything you love about the genre- the intensity, melody, and brutality- without any of the cheesiness. This is the album A Static Lullaby and Scary Kids Scaring Kids wish they would have put out this year. Do yourself a favor and purchase this album today, and you’ll realize that this genre isn’t dead yet.

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
11:43 PM on 01/05/06
Emopunkthrice
Im fresh and positive
User Info.
I love this band
10:23 PM on 02/25/06
live.love.die
User Info.
I never heard of these guys until I walked into a local CD store in London, Ontario Canada and saw this CD. I picked it up and said sure why not let's buy it. Sure enough, when I walked out the store and threw it in my discman, I can say I was not disappointed with my purchase. These guys are good and I believe that by their next album, they will be astounding. Some work can be learned for them from this album to make the next album phenominal. This record gets a 8 out of 10.
04:52 PM on 04/07/09
A.Priori
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
anyone know whatever happened to this band? I found this cd recently and it's pretty awesome

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos