AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

The Get Up Kids - Live! At The Granada Theater Album Cover

The Get Up Kids - Live! At The Granada Theater

Reviewed by
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
The Get Up Kids- Live! At The Granada Theater
Release Date: May 24, 2005
Vagrant Records

When I think of the “emo” genre and what started it, I think of a few bands. Sunny Day Real Estate, The Promise Ring, and The Get Up Kids are what come to my mind. While TPR and SDRE are the forefathers of this genre, they never achieved what the Get Up Kids did. The Get Up Kids touched a group of kids like no other band has before. The inspirations behind so many bands of today, the Get Up Kids are one of a kind. So, after 10 years of touring, 4 albums, and many EP’s and 7-inches, the Get Up Kids decided to call it quits. But before hanging it up, they embarked on a short farewell tour this summer and released a live CD. What to follow isn’t really a review of this album, but more of a tribute to a great band.

Recorded at the Granada Theater, GUK has begun touring in the tenth year of their existence. An 18-track album that features the old (Woodson, the first song GUK ever recorded) to the more recent (Martyr Me, from 2003’s “Guilt Show”), it will definitely please all GUK fans, regardless of when you got into them. From the energetic opener, “Coming Clean”(from 1997’s Four Minute Mile) to the 6-minute “Is There A Way Out” (from Guilt Show), it’s one rollercoaster of a ride. Pogo one more time to “Holiday”, listen to “I’ll Catch You” with the one you love, yell “I don’t/want you/to love me anymore” one more time on “No Love”, and relive your youth with “I’m A Loner Dottie, A Rebel”. For those who have never seen GUK live, this is your CD. For those who have seen them live, relive those times. The Get Up Kids opened up so many more bands to me when I was younger, and it is sad to see them go. When I had my heart broken, GUK was there, when I was pissed, GUK was there, and when I was happy, GUK was playing on my stereo. And as time passes on, I will not forget GUK and when I have these moments in my life, I’ll still be able to find a GUK song to sing along to.

So, in conclusion, I’m not really here to give this CD a rating, it’s a live CD. It’s nothing new, just a collection of great songs that have a special place in many fan’s hearts. So, really, I recommending not forgetting about this band; to pick up this CD and pick any other GUK albums you don’t own. The Get Up Kids will live on in my iPod and my stereo, as well as they should in yours. Do yourself a favor and pick up the last release from this memorable band.

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
08:51 PM on 11/29/05
j.maziarski
Froston
User Info.
I absolutly love this cd. One of my favs.
04:20 AM on 08/30/07
bankrom
breakin' up.
User Info.
god, i miss this band.
09:33 PM on 03/06/09
hectorial85
Saved The Day
User Info.
Great Band!
03:12 PM on 02/26/11
Jay Evan